Scott & LC

Extending the NOA2 Validity Period

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello VJers,

I need your honest opinion and some help on this one... I have finally received Packet 3 from the US embassy in my country. Well, actually it was sent to my house and my parents have opened it. I didn't tell them earlier about the Petition because I was worried it wouldn't be approved (I was rejected for Tourist Visa the last time). So anyways, they found out about the Petition thing when I was just about to tell them... Anyways, my parents told me to think it over carefully. Not that they object me from going over there, but just that I might be too young (23) and naive maybe? Well, obviously, marriage is a very serious matter...

Anyways, I was wondering whether I would be able to extend the NOA2 validity period? It was stated as from 1st Nov 2008 to 1st March 2009. I would like to delay it for maybe 2-3 months? I read some posts here saying that it will be extended automatically? But I was wondering if I should write an email to the US embassy over here? Would they reply my email and normally how long more would they be able to extend it if possible? Anyone that has gone through this before??

The reason I would like to delay it is because I have just started working in my country (well, it's been a year now) and it's been going good. I would like to gain more experience and also I want to spend more time with my family. I want my parents to know that I'm serious about this, I don't want them to think that I'm rushing into doing this. If I was to follow the exact timeline, I would've been gone to the US by June/July 09. However, if I'm able to delay, then I'll be leaving for the US in Sept/Oct 09, that allows me more time to convince my parents and also to settle all the things that I have over here.

I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thank you. :)

Why delay getting the visa? The K1 will be valid for 6 months from issue. If you get it in June 09, you won't have to actually use it until Dec 09.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

I know that the K1 visa is valid for 6 months... but my NOA2 expires by 1st of March 09. So I was thinking, before the NOA2 expires, I will be getting the interview and I will receive my K1 visa... so if I get it before March, then add another 6 months... I have to be in the US before September...

So I might not be very clear on this... the 1st of March expiry date of NOA2... does it mean that I have to send in my Packet 3 before the expiry date? What do I have to do exactly before that date? Does the interview have to be scheduled within that time frame? What does the date signify actually? I know it's the validity of the Petition.. but what exactly does it mean??

Thanks!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I know that the K1 visa is valid for 6 months... but my NOA2 expires by 1st of March 09. So I was thinking, before the NOA2 expires, I will be getting the interview and I will receive my K1 visa... so if I get it before March, then add another 6 months... I have to be in the US before September...

So I might not be very clear on this... the 1st of March expiry date of NOA2... does it mean that I have to send in my Packet 3 before the expiry date? What do I have to do exactly before that date? Does the interview have to be scheduled within that time frame? What does the date signify actually? I know it's the validity of the Petition.. but what exactly does it mean??

Thanks!!

contact the Consulate and ask them... they are the ones that need to do it if required

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

They will often extend it automatically if they are responsible for the delay but if you are wanting to extend it for your own personal reasons you will need to do as pay suggested above and contact them to request an extension.

timeline.jpg

Timeline

heya everyone :)

Just wanted to let you guys know that it is possible to delay/extend the NOA2 validity period. It will be extended automatically for another 4 months no matter what. So no reason to write an email or a letter to the US Embassy (as in my case). I emailed them yesterday and they emailed me back saying that I don't have to write an email to them requesting the extension. However, it is only extended for another 4 months and that's it. It still gives me good timeframe to get things ready and get myself ready to go over there :) Oh yeah, and the NOA2 validity period is actually talking about the whole process until getting the visa! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
heya everyone :)

Just wanted to let you guys know that it is possible to delay/extend the NOA2 validity period. It will be extended automatically for another 4 months no matter what. So no reason to write an email or a letter to the US Embassy (as in my case). I emailed them yesterday and they emailed me back saying that I don't have to write an email to them requesting the extension. However, it is only extended for another 4 months and that's it. It still gives me good timeframe to get things ready and get myself ready to go over there :) Oh yeah, and the NOA2 validity period is actually talking about the whole process until getting the visa! :)

This applies for Malaysia only... not all consulates follow the same procedures. Checkl local listings for procedures in your neighborhood

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

And not all workers from said Consulates are on the same page so everyone should really take the steps to contact and inform them of the delay regardless of anyone else's experience. ;)

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.