Sean88

Getting Stepdaughter Visa

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am married to a wonderful Peruana. We are in the process of filing I-130 etc. She has a daughter (9 years old) Gianella that we want to bring over later after my wife is settled. We are looking to file Gianella's papers but I have some questions.

The I-130 doesn't give the option of stepchild only child to sponsor.

The father has been out of the picture for 7 years and my wife divorced him a few years ago.

Can I sponsor my wife's daughter with the I-130 or does my wife have to sponsor her after she arrives here. We really don't want there to be that much of a delay.

Also does anyone know if we need to find Gianella's father for him to permit Giane to come here to live. He has had zero contact and has provided zero support for the last 7 years. Bless her heart, I think she thinks I am her real father. My wife doesn't know what to tell her.

I couldn't ask for a better daughter. I plan to adopt her at some point.

Thanks for any advice!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I am married to a wonderful Peruana. We are in the process of filing I-130 etc. She has a daughter (9 years old) Gianella that we want to bring over later after my wife is settled. We are looking to file Gianella's papers but I have some questions.

The I-130 doesn't give the option of stepchild only child to sponsor.

The father has been out of the picture for 7 years and my wife divorced him a few years ago.

Can I sponsor my wife's daughter with the I-130 or does my wife have to sponsor her after she arrives here. We really don't want there to be that much of a delay.

Also does anyone know if we need to find Gianella's father for him to permit Giane to come here to live. He has had zero contact and has provided zero support for the last 7 years. Bless her heart, I think she thinks I am her real father. My wife doesn't know what to tell her.

I couldn't ask for a better daughter. I plan to adopt her at some point.

Thanks for any advice!

You file a separate I-130 for the daughter. You can sponsor her as your step-daughter. If you go the K3 route, there's just one I-129F but each needs their own I-130.

Custody and related paperwork varies by country, so you'll need a Peru specific answer on that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi Sean,

Well, now you are married you have to follow the K3 or CR1 path, and for your step-daughter ,as pushbrk said, you have to file a separate I-130 with separate fee as well, and let it takes the time it needs at Uscis and NVC.

About the Father permit, YES Gianella needs her father's permit to leave Peru, and also when papers reach NVC, they will ask you if her biological father is agreed about his daughter going to US...so you have to contact Gianella's father and explain what is going to happen..you know, if he doesnt wan to sign the permit..you can say him this sign will "absolve" him of any child support..it is just an idea...

Well, I wish you my best...

04/08/2008...Married

USCIS

07/15/2008...send I-130 form

01/20/2009...APPROVED...NOA2...wooohooo!! **NOA2 175 days after NOA1**

NVC

2009-01-27 : Case Number Assigned

2009-01-28 : DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

2009-01-30 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-02-04 : IV Fee bill generated

2009-02-03 : Response from NVC to emailed DS-3032

2009-02-03 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2009-02-23 : AOS PAID (online)

2009-02-23 : IV bill PAID

2009-03-10 : AOS package sent to NVC

2009-03-10 : DS-230 sent to NVC

2009-03-25 : RFE in AOS package (NVC wants 2008 tax returns)

2009-03-27 : sent RFE to NVC

2009-03-31 : NVC got our package...***please, no more RFE***

2009-04-03 : case complete at NVC

Embassy

2009-04-09 : Forward the case to Embassy

2009-05-04 : Medical

2009-05-12 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Perú ***VISA APPPROVED***

2009-05-14 : Visa in Hand

2009-06-05 : POE Newark, NJ...with my love

PETITION FOR STEP-DAUGHTER

USCIS

2009-07-03 : I-130 Form sent to Chicago LockBox

2009-07-09 : NOA1 Case is pending at CALIFORNIA CENTER...(I hope it goes faster than mine)

2009-09-20 : NOA2 APPROVAL

2009-10-01 : NVC Case number

2009-10-02 : DS-3032 emailed

2009-10-06 : got AOS Bill by mail

2009-10-10 : got IV Bill by email

2009-10-13 : AOS Bill PAID

.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I was gonna say exactly what pushbrk said.

I am also working on getting my step-kids here.

I don't know about Peru, but we had a hell of a time getting birth certificates and all that paperwork together.

Start working on it from now!

Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.