rebeccajo

Ain't it just the way....

46 posts in this topic

They moved the office 30 miles away AFTER they hired him but before he's supposed to start - all he should do IMO is tell them that he can't arrange transportation until X date... and if that won't fly then just say well, I can't work for you then! It's just a cruddy minimum wage call center, not something vitally important or paying a million bucks a day!

I think this is a great solution. Maybe put a different spin on it by saying, transportation is not a problem with exception of "THIS" date

fingers and toes crossed!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Well, since the end of January when he got his EAD, Wes has mostly sat around here trying unsuccessfully to find a good job.

He actually has a job, starting Monday. He was hired mid-April with a start date of Monday June 5. It's in a call center (which is what he did in NI - and loathed). When he first interviewed for it, the place was located in our town. No transportation problems. Since they hired him they have decided to relocate the office to a town up the road, about 30 miles from our house. The logistics are going to be nightmare (he's not driving yet and besides we have only one car), not to mention the cost of gasoline. The pay isn't great either - but we figured it's a start for him.

Today he had an interview for another job. The position is called 'Reports Coordinator' and the firm works with the State of WV Job Services re-training displaced workers and welfare receipients. It's IT related - they need someone who can handle Excel, Access, databases and work with ISO 9000. They have already informed him they will be calling him next week for testing and a second interview. I could see the excitement in his eyes when he told me about it.

Then when we got home from that interview, Blue Cross/Blue Shield was on the answering machine and want him to come in Tuesday at 2:45 for an interview. It's been so long ago that he tested with them we can't really remember what the position would be - probably something entry level but hey, it's Blue Cross. He rang them up and told him he would be there for the interview.

He is going to have to miss work at a brand new job to interview for these much better jobs. We NEED for him to be working and it's not gonna look good for him to miss during the first week of training. But these opportunities are too good to pass up for that crappy job up the road.

I've got half a mind to tell him to just ring them up Monday morning and tell them he has found another job. But sure as we do that, both of these will fall thru!

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!

Words of advice - anyone?

Blue Cross/Blue Shield is a good company. I heard alot of things about them. good luck!!

seems like call center jobs are a dime a dozen. go for the Blue Cross/Blue Shield postion.

shon.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well the day he has his interview at 2:45. Get Wes to tell them he is sick and has to go home just before his interview. They cant tell him not to leave if he's sick.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
What really bothers me about this is it is VERY likely that he will have to miss twice in the first week and I'm not sure they are going to buy immigration related for that.......

if 2 times in one week may be the case you could always say that they need to do some sort of follow up on his case the second time. ...

or... immigrations one day, and sick the next time around.and hope by the 2nd round has gotten one of the better jobs.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Ok, anybody with any fast suggestions I could really use them now...

Wes went to his job today. They are saying that if you miss work during training, it can only be a total of 12 hours.

If you are at the doctor, you need a WRITTEN EXCUSE.......

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could he schedule any upcoming interviews as late as possible in the work day (so he won't miss more than 12 hours)? Surely the prospective employers would understand that.

SA4userbar.jpg

Could he schedule any upcoming interviews as late as possible in the work day (so he won't miss more than 12 hours)? Surely the prospective employers would understand that.

This training is from 9am to 6pm. He told Blue Cross on Friday that and they said they only interviewed during the normal business day............ :(

I am so wound up...I can't remember being this upset in ages and I literally don't know what to do. It's very important that he go to this interview tomorrow. It's a much better job than the one he has now.......

Well, then their normal business day would end at 5. Could Wes have his interview scheduled at, say, 4, leave work at 3 for travel time and still make it?

That's 3 hours missed. If he does that again for the other interview, that'd only be 6 hours missed out of the possible 12.

SA4userbar.jpg

What a dilemma Becca, I feel for you, but I think what Tracy said seems to be a pretty good idea and these new opportunities seem so much better

If he requests from the other two companies that they schedule his interviews for the last one of the day and then he does what Tracy said, that seems to be a pretty good solution.

I hope that things work out for you and that Wes does indeed get offered one of these new positions :thumbs: Loads of MOJO coming your way Becca :thumbs:

Edited by munchkins

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

He and I are going to have to talk more this evening. I'm not sure if he isn't allowed to miss unless he has an excuse, or if it only gets counted against him with no excuse.

I'm like Tracy - if its just that it gets counted against him - then big deal.

If he isn't allowed to miss at all - well then pooh....

Yeah I would definitely check if it would count against him before I did anything. Knowing Wes, he'll catch on fast anyway and probably wouldn't miss much. ;)

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is his interview tomorrow at 2:45?

If it is just get him to work till he has to go to the other interview.

Did the Blue Cross tell you what time his interview is.

Maybe they can make it first thing in the morning, then Wes can go straight to work from there.

I hope you figure something out. :)

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
:goofy: WE NEED AN UPDATE !!! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Okay ..... they are formulating a pool of people who would be hired as Claims Representatives or Customer Service Reps. They have an immediate need for Claims Reps and are trying to decide if they need to hire more Customer Service Reps. (BTW I have no idea what the difference is between the two). They are also considering him for Data Analyst, which is more what he is qualified for.

So in essence if he did not blow the interview today (one never knows, does one?) then he is in the running for 3 different positions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.