ben2

inviting wife's mother to visit

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I have a couple of questions about inviting my wife's mother to come to visit us in the US. I've written up an invitation letter, but, as it does not carry much weight, am concentrating now on providing documents that she has ties back to Russia. Here are a couple of questions:

1) My wife's mother owns some property in Russia. Do documents proving this have to be translated into English/notarized? Does she mail them with the DS-156 application with Pony Express, or does she bring supporting documents to the interview instead?

2) She can get document from "Nalogavaya" proving income, does it need to be translated/notarized?

3) Any other documents she can bring proving "ties" back to russia. She does have a daughter, other than my wife, back in russia, along with her mother. She can bring a copy of their passports/propiska with her. Do those copies need to be translated/notarized?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone.

I have a couple of questions about inviting my wife's mother to come to visit us in the US. I've written up an invitation letter, but, as it does not carry much weight, am concentrating now on providing documents that she has ties back to Russia. Here are a couple of questions:

1) My wife's mother owns some property in Russia. Do documents proving this have to be translated into English/notarized? Does she mail them with the DS-156 application with Pony Express, or does she bring supporting documents to the interview instead?

2) She can get document from "Nalogavaya" proving income, does it need to be translated/notarized?

3) Any other documents she can bring proving "ties" back to russia. She does have a daughter, other than my wife, back in russia, along with her mother. She can bring a copy of their passports/propiska with her. Do those copies need to be translated/notarized?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

English translations are required when dealing with the USCIS. When dealing only with the consulate, they understand both English and Russian

YMMV

Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

English translations are required when dealing with the USCIS. When dealing only with the consulate, they understand both English and Russian

Thanks, what about getting the docs notarized or not, as well as sending them in together with the application vs. bringing them to the interview?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks, what about getting the docs notarized or not, as well as sending them in together with the application vs. bringing them to the interview?

If US Consulates in Russia are anything like Kyiv then all is presented at the interview.

As for notarization, what do you want or what do you think the notarization will accomplish?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You don't need to notarize anything or to translate anything. Let her send copies of all the documents ptoviding ties to Russia together with the application.

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

If US Consulates in Russia are anything like Kyiv then all is presented at the interview.

As for notarization, what do you want or what do you think the notarization will accomplish?

prove that the copies she's mailing were made from original document and not some photoshop fakes. If documents are presented at the interview, then you're right, in that it doesn't make any sense to notarize them, since she'll bring originals.

You don't need to notarize anything or to translate anything. Let her send copies of all the documents ptoviding ties to Russia together with the application.

Thanks, guess this is what we'll do then, send copies together with the application and bring the originals to the interview just in case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am talking from experience. My mom got her visa last year with no problem. She is applying for another one this year and since she already had one, no fingerprints or interview for her any more.

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Pony express accepts only bar code form and pictures and also fee..the rest she has to bring on interview ..My mum gave docs a week ago and her interview is sheduled on november 20st!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.