solsoeur

FILING QUESTION FOR YARDIES

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm trying to figure out the benefit and pros and cons of each filing status. I know that there is a big difference in completion times amongst each category so I decided to break it down by cost. I know that if I chose CR1 the wait is longer and that will lead to more travel expenses and phone calls etc. Ok this is what I pieced together using the g-1055 and the flowcharts. Please fill in what you know and your opinion on each I am trying to get a clear picture of how everything works and a estimate on costs. Thanks

k-1

I-129f-$455

Medical-?

POLICE REPORT-?

AOS –$1000

ADVANCE PAROLE-$305?

BIOMETRIC-$80

EAD-$340

TOTAL:2180

K-3

I-129F-$0

I-130-$355

POLICE REPORT-?

MEDICAL-?

AOS- ACCORDING TO LITA NO AOS IS NEEDED ON K3

EAD-340

ADVANCE PAROLE-$305

BIOMETRICS-$80

TOTAL:1080

CR1

I-130-$355

MEDICAL-?

POLICE REPORT-?

TOTAL:355 (THIS CAN’T BE CORRECT)

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I know that if I chose CR1 the wait is longer and that will lead to more travel expenses and phone calls etc.

Exactly. There are no "benefits" between choosing one over the other when the deciding factor comes down to money. You may decide to do K3 or CR1, but what happens when airfare has increased by so much it's impossible to get a ticket? With the way our economy is now, there's no telling how the travel industry will be impacted. From someone who was in your shoes almost four years ago when deciding to file, I say talk with your man and get his input. The decision that you make will affect him too. Money will come and go, but the time spent away from a loved one cannot be replaced. Good luck with your decision.

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline
I'm trying to figure out the benefit and pros and cons of each filing status. I know that there is a big difference in completion times amongst each category so I decided to break it down by cost. I know that if I chose CR1 the wait is longer and that will lead to more travel expenses and phone calls etc. Ok this is what I pieced together using the g-1055 and the flowcharts. Please fill in what you know and your opinion on each I am trying to get a clear picture of how everything works and a estimate on costs. Thanks

k-1

I-129f-$455

Medical-?

POLICE REPORT-?

AOS –$1000

ADVANCE PAROLE-$305?

BIOMETRIC-$80

EAD-$340

TOTAL:2180

K-3

I-129F-$0

I-130-$355

POLICE REPORT-?

MEDICAL-?

EAD-340

ADVANCE PAROLE-$305

BIOMETRICS-$80

CR1

I-130-$355

MEDICAL-?

I-864-$70

POLICE REPORT-?

TOTAL:$425 (THIS CAN’T BE CORRECT)

William Arthur Ward

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Our decision to go K-1 was based on time and money. If we do K-3 or CR1 I would definately spend more visiting and the total expense would be more than a K-1. Besides...half of Steve's family is in Canada already so that would not be a big issue for him. His dad and brother and sister are the only ones that will not be able to come to the wedding due to visa issues.......We are planning on doing a vow renewal in JA after a year or 2 so that his other family will be able to attend.

So if you are breaking down by cost? I say look at your travel expense added into it if you must wait longer.....

event.png

Timeline

Jonesie makes a great point - In my opinion, costs don't even come into it - Because they all cost, whether it's time, distance, stress - It is up to you with your partner to decide what you are going to do and how to proceed. It seems like it's a gamble any which way you look at it - some people luck out and breeze through, others get stuck.

DJ and I talk about it all the time - unfortunately, things are beyond our control right now that will affect how we proceed. I look at the processing times, timelines all the time - just when I think I have a good average on how long each will take, someone comes along that blows it out of the water one way or the other.

Are you definitely filing, or are you still feeling things out?

Off topic, lol - Mrs.ladyd, are you going to be in Negril?

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline
I believe the $1000 AOS cost includes the AP and EAD. Someone will correct if I'm wrong.

I was unders the same impression - but I think it's bull to make someone file for AP and EAD. Hubby's EAD came almost two months before conditional GC but employers wouldn't hire him because they said they needed the GC. In any case, I hope that EAD's are processed faster since they are required to be paid for now.

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline
Jonesie makes a great point - In my opinion, costs don't even come into it - Because they all cost, whether it's time, distance, stress - It is up to you with your partner to decide what you are going to do and how to proceed. It seems like it's a gamble any which way you look at it - some people luck out and breeze through, others get stuck.

DJ and I talk about it all the time - unfortunately, things are beyond our control right now that will affect how we proceed. I look at the processing times, timelines all the time - just when I think I have a good average on how long each will take, someone comes along that blows it out of the water one way or the other.

I'm just trying to understand all this. No as of right now not filing anything :unsure:

I believe the $1000 AOS cost includes the AP and EAD. Someone will correct if I'm wrong.

I was unders the same impression - but I think it's bull to make someone file for AP and EAD. Hubby's EAD came almost two months before conditional GC but employers wouldn't hire him because they said they needed the GC. In any case, I hope that EAD's are processed faster since they are required to be paid for now.

Ok guys thanks for that I was just going by the forms on the USCIS website I don't know anything about this process and all these form numbers makes me :wacko:

William Arthur Ward

Timeline

k-1

I-129f-$455

Medical-?

POLICE REPORT-?

AOS –$1010

ADVANCE PAROLE-$305?(was told it is included in AOS)

BIOMETRIC-$80

EAD-$340 (was told it is included in AOS)

TOTAL:$1535

K-3

I-129F-$0

I-130-$355

POLICE REPORT-?

MEDICAL-?

EAD-340

ADVANCE PAROLE-$305

BIOMETRICS-$80

CR1

I-130-$355

MEDICAL-?

I-864-$70

POLICE REPORT-?

TOTAL:$425 (THIS CAN’T BE CORRECT)

William Arthur Ward

Timeline

Sol - go to the top of the page here and read through the guides - I think the info is a lot clearer than in other places - such as the USCIS, lol - Also, go to the timelines - you can sort it by service center - select the one you wouild file through and look at people's timelines - that will give you an idea of how long each will take.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline
It seems like it's a gamble any which way you look at it - some people luck out and breeze through, others get stuck.

True. When we filed it took about 6 months to go from USCIS receiving our paperwork to the approval in Kingston. Some yardies that filed the same time as me were approved faster, others that filed before me were delayed. There really is no rhyme or reason to their method, all you can do is make sure your submissions (paperwork and evidence) are on point and triple checked once yo do decide to file.

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yep, in Negril 12/31-1/13......................WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

event.png

Timeline

k-1

I-129f-$455

Medical-?

POLICE REPORT-?

AOS –$1010 includes:ADVANCE PAROLE-BIOMETRIC-EAD

TOTAL: $1465

K-3

I-129F-$0

I-130-$355

POLICE REPORT-?

MEDICAL-?

EAD-340

ADVANCE PAROLE-$305

BIOMETRICS-$80

CR1

I-130-$355

MEDICAL-?

POLICE REPORT-?

TOTAL:355 (THIS CAN'T BE CORRECT)

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
CR1

I-130-$355

MEDICAL-?

POLICE REPORT-?

TOTAL:355 (THIS CAN’T BE CORRECT)

I-130 $ 355.00 U.S.

DS-230 - $ 355.00 U.S.

I- 864 - $ 70.00 U.S.

Security Fee $ 45.00 U.S.

Total Fees: $ 825.00

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.