Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
I GOT MY NOA2!!!!.....I think I will start Calling the Embassy around Jan 15, hopefully it will get through NVC by then. :dance: :dance:

congrats once more, Hope we get our NOA2 soon after the touches

sheFell, Can you recomend a hotel near the embassy that is cheep? My fiance has never traveled to Nirobi, and I am worried about him being able to find a hotel and the embassy and the Medical.

Timeline

I just wanted to sent out my congratulations to all who received their NOA 2's!!!!! That is great the system is moving along.

I also wanted to wish everyone a great holiday. We have been receiving a ton of snow here in Minnesota, so my wife and I took some pictures of us in front of the house with our Ugandan flag and sent them back to our family in Kampala and Gulu. They called back laughing thinking that might be the first Ugandan flag to have snow hit it.

Hope everyone here has a safe holiday and a great 2009!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just wanted to wish everyone happy holidays! Congrats to those who have received their NOA2. My SO did his medical exam and now has to make an appointment to go back for his immunizations, slow and steady wins the race right :whistle:

Edited by ARK1

October 9, 2007 Applied for I-129F

October 22, 2007 NOA 1

March 6, 2008 NOA 2

January 6, 2009 Interview

January 16, 2009 Picked up visa

February 26, 2009 US Entry

May 11, 2009 Married

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Rwanda
Timeline

Hey All....

soon~tobe: Congratulations on NOA2!! I received two letters from the NVC....one dated the 18th and one the 19th stating the same thing....that they had received our file and it was assigned a case number. It said it would be sent out within the week to Nairobi. It was the same exact letter but two different dates...don't know why....maybe one was generated because I called to check on the arrival of our file.

ARK1: Which doctor did you guys use? So...it's not possible to get immunizations and medical in the same day? How long in between do you have to wait?

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!! :innocent:

Timeline
Just wanted to wish everyone happy holidays! Congrats to those who have received their NOA2. My SO did his medical exam and now has to make an appointment to go back for his immunizations, slow and steady wins the race right :whistle:

ARK-- when did your fiance do his medical? Hiller and I were also in Nairobi yesterday and the day before, we went to the Embassy as well as Dr Asuga's office for the medical. Perhaps we saw your SO? :)

Ok, so UPDATE!! Hiller and I just returned from a LONG bus ride to Nairobi to pick up the medical forms at the embassy, and complete the medical. We took a bus from Kampala Sunday and arrived early Monday morning and set about looking for the US Embassy.

One thing that we discovered is that asking for directions in Kenya produces the most confusing results! Everyone we asked had a slightly different answer, and it seemed that even if they had no clue, they just made something up. People were generally friendly--especially since Hiller speaks Swahili, and we tried to ask older women or men is business suits--or the bus drivers. We discovered that as long as you keep on asking people, you may walk in circles but eventually you'll get there!

Anyway we took the #106 bus from near Accra Road to Gigiri stage and walked down United Nations Ave to the Embassy. We would have arrived at 8am, but the bus driver dropped us off a stage too early and then pointed us in the opposite direction! Then the next three people we asked proceeded to give us wrong directions! Eventually we found our way and arrived at the Embassy at 9:30am. After a security check we found ourselves inside the visa services room and sat down on one of the many rows of chairs, shifting chairs until eventually we got to the window. It took us about an hour and a half just to get our papers. The whole time we were listening to one of the Embassy workers deny or approve student visas--it was kind of fun to try and guess whether they would be denied based on what was being said :)

After the Embassy we took a bus back to Accra Road and again walked in a large circle before being directed to the bus (#23) going to Westlands--the large mall where the Sarit Center is nearby. Basically the Sarit center is another, smaller mall and we just asked for directions after getting off the bus.

We originally intended to just check out the place so we wouldn't have any problems finding it the next day. But Hiller had the idea to try and see if we could just show up and get the Medical done that day. The women working at Dr Asuga's office were so nice--they let Hiller do most of the time-consuming things that afternoon (urine and stool samples and we also had to get a chest x-ray from a diagnostic center nearby--they will give you directions). So the next day, we didn't have to be there as long.

The night before the interview we stayed at the Impala Hotel which is about a 15 min walk from the Sarit center and cost us 2,700 KSH -- not bad! Nice beds, warm water and breakfast is included. We found it walking back from the diagnostic center. We might stay there again when we return--even though it is not as close to the Embassy.

Yesterday Hiller and I arrived back at the Sarit Center at 8am for the rest of the medical. Thank goodness we had done some of the things the day before--even so, we were there for another 3 hours, waiting, and basically they checked Hiller's eyes, weight, pulse rate, blood pressure, took his blood, etc. Definitely worth it to arrive early, as we the third person there and it started getting really busy right after we arrived.

The whole thing cost: 8,700 KSH for the Medical, and 1,000 KSH for the x-ray. Remember the 2 passport photos! They are 2x2 --some people arrived with photos that were too big.

Unfortunately, because of the holidays, the results won't be done until Jan 6th. So, we're going to try to reschedule his interview for the 7th, and get the results and vaccinations the day before. Dr Asuga is flexible with rescheduling if you just call them.

We just decided to get all the vaccinations there-- they told us the total cost would be 9,700 USH.

By the way, I noticed that the Interview fee of $131 must be paid at specific branch of the Bank of Africa-- one of the approved branches is the Westlands branch which is nearby the Sarit Center.

One more thing that is really bothering me: If you are an American coming from Uganda, apparently you have to re-pay the $50 for the visa--even if you have been out of the Country for only 2 days! I had to pay the $50 for a Kenyan visa, which they said was good for multiple entries for 3 months as long as I did not leave East Africa. Unfortunately Uganda is not so flexible. They made me pay another $50 on the way back and I will have to pay another $50 when we go back to Kenya in a few weeks! How frustrating :angry:

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed the detail account :blush: I will let you all know how things go when we go back in a couple weeks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

ARK-- when did your fiance do his medical? Hiller and I were also in Nairobi yesterday and the day before, we went to the Embassy as well as Dr Asuga's office for the medical. Perhaps we saw your SO? :)

Ok, so UPDATE!! Hiller and I just returned from a LONG bus ride to Nairobi to pick up the medical forms at the embassy, and complete the medical. We took a bus from Kampala Sunday and arrived early Monday morning and set about looking for the US Embassy.

One thing that we discovered is that asking for directions in Kenya produces the most confusing results! Everyone we asked had a slightly different answer, and it seemed that even if they had no clue, they just made something up. People were generally friendly--especially since Hiller speaks Swahili, and we tried to ask older women or men is business suits--or the bus drivers. We discovered that as long as you keep on asking people, you may walk in circles but eventually you'll get there!

Anyway we took the #106 bus from near Accra Road to Gigiri stage and walked down United Nations Ave to the Embassy. We would have arrived at 8am, but the bus driver dropped us off a stage too early and then pointed us in the opposite direction! Then the next three people we asked proceeded to give us wrong directions! Eventually we found our way and arrived at the Embassy at 9:30am. After a security check we found ourselves inside the visa services room and sat down on one of the many rows of chairs, shifting chairs until eventually we got to the window. It took us about an hour and a half just to get our papers. The whole time we were listening to one of the Embassy workers deny or approve student visas--it was kind of fun to try and guess whether they would be denied based on what was being said :)

After the Embassy we took a bus back to Accra Road and again walked in a large circle before being directed to the bus (#23) going to Westlands--the large mall where the Sarit Center is nearby. Basically the Sarit center is another, smaller mall and we just asked for directions after getting off the bus.

We originally intended to just check out the place so we wouldn't have any problems finding it the next day. But Hiller had the idea to try and see if we could just show up and get the Medical done that day. The women working at Dr Asuga's office were so nice--they let Hiller do most of the time-consuming things that afternoon (urine and stool samples and we also had to get a chest x-ray from a diagnostic center nearby--they will give you directions). So the next day, we didn't have to be there as long.

The night before the interview we stayed at the Impala Hotel which is about a 15 min walk from the Sarit center and cost us 2,700 KSH -- not bad! Nice beds, warm water and breakfast is included. We found it walking back from the diagnostic center. We might stay there again when we return--even though it is not as close to the Embassy.

Yesterday Hiller and I arrived back at the Sarit Center at 8am for the rest of the medical. Thank goodness we had done some of the things the day before--even so, we were there for another 3 hours, waiting, and basically they checked Hiller's eyes, weight, pulse rate, blood pressure, took his blood, etc. Definitely worth it to arrive early, as we the third person there and it started getting really busy right after we arrived.

The whole thing cost: 8,700 KSH for the Medical, and 1,000 KSH for the x-ray. Remember the 2 passport photos! They are 2x2 --some people arrived with photos that were too big.

Also, be sure to bring not just your NOA2 but your NVC case number--the Doctor's office will ask for it.

Unfortunately, because of the holidays, the results won't be done until Jan 6th. So, we're going to try to reschedule his interview for the 7th, and get the results and vaccinations the day before. Dr Asuga is flexible with rescheduling if you just call them.

We just decided to get all the vaccinations there-- they told us the total cost would be 9,700 USH.

By the way, I noticed that the Interview fee of $131 must be paid at specific branch of the Bank of Africa-- one of the approved branches is the Westlands branch which is nearby the Sarit Center.

One more thing that is really bothering me: If you are an American coming from Uganda, apparently you have to re-pay the $50 for the visa--even if you have been out of the Country for only 2 days! I had to pay the $50 for a Kenyan visa, which they said was good for multiple entries for 3 months as long as I did not leave East Africa. Unfortunately Uganda is not so flexible. They made me pay another $50 on the way back and I will have to pay another $50 when we go back to Kenya in a few weeks! How frustrating :angry:

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed the detail account :blush: I will let you all know how things go when we go back in a couple weeks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

-K-1-

Apr 24th, 2008 - Proposal!!!

Jun 20th, 2008 - I-129F petition sent to VSC

Jun 24th, 2008 - NOA 1 Sent

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Nov 12th, 2008 - APPROVED!!!! YEEEAAAH!!

Nov 14th, 2008 - NVC received petition

Nov 18th, 2008 - Petition leaves NVC

Nov 24th, 2008 - Petition arrives at Nairobi Embassy

Dec 23rd, 2008 - Medical Exam

Jan 7th, 2009 - Interview in Nairobi-- APPROVED!!! Visa in hand same day!

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

Mar 28th, 2009 - Wedding!

-AOS-

April 27th, 2009 - Mailed AOS & EAD

April 29th, 2009 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

May 5th, 2009 - NOA for AOS & EAD

May 30th, 2009 - Completed Biometrics at Boston Office

June 3rd, 2009 - EAD card production ordered

June 10th, 2009 - EAD arrived in mail

July 10th, 2009 - Touched

August 8th, 2009 - RFE = requesting a new I-693

August 21st, 2009 - Completed new medical

August 22nd, 2009 - Mailed RFE priority

August 26th, 2009 - CRIS e-mail: AOS approved!

Sept 3rd, 2009 - Conditional green card arrived in mail!

-ROC-

May 16th, 2011 - Applied to lift conditions at VSC

May 31st, 2011 - NOA, residence status extended for one year

Aug 16th, 2011 - Biometrics

Jan 4th, 2012 - Approved! Card is in the mail :)

Timeline

WOWWWWW.....Madwoman....thanks for the update....that was great!!!!.....and so exciting.

I've been wondering how you've been doing....so good to hear from you!!!! I thought your interview was on the 12th....did you change it to the 7th??? man, 4 real....I will be praying for you guys.

What is the exchange rate for schillings and US dollars?

Thanks again for the information....it is so helpful!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Timeline

My SO did the first part of his medical about a week and a half ago. I am not sure which doctor he went to but he said he was very nice. I would guess that they are much better about doing the exam and immunizations in one or two days for people comming from Uganda or Rwanda. By the way there is a mall called "Mall" near the sarit center that has out of this world Indian food so if you get a chance check it out also across the street from the Sarit Center is a great pizza place (kind of hidden by shrubery, the taxi's park almost in front of it) I can't remember the name but if you ask a guard at Sairt they should be able to direct you. :star:

October 22, 2007 NOA 1

March 6, 2008 NOA 2

May 11, 2009 Married

Timeline

I forgot to add that the Indian restaurant in The Mall is called Haandi.

October 22, 2007 NOA 1

March 6, 2008 NOA 2

May 11, 2009 Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Approved on the 15-12--2008 :dance::dance::dance:

Received Hard Copy too

Edited by shefellfromheaven

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you all :thumbs:

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Timeline

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear about everyone getting one step closer to being together, especially during these trying economic times.

We also have had some good news here, my wife's 10 year green card was approved. So we are now officially done with USCIS until 2018! Or until she decides to become a citizen. But I think we will just enjoy the sense of permenance that we are feeling for a while.

After reflecting back on this rocky visa journey, what an apt name that is for it truely is a journey; I hope everyone's visa journey comes to an end at some point. No couple should have to go through all the hoops and hassale that is the burden of our "international" relationships. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel and with time we all will get there. I wish you all a wonderful, safe, and happy New Year! All though I do not know everyone here currently going through the various visa processes, I have appreciated reading your experiences and have only wished for good things for all of us going through this. I only wish I could have offered some advice in the trying difficult times, but know I always offer my support! But this "old timer" will stop ramblingnow. Take care and talk to all my East African friends later.

Jason and Matilda

Timeline

Hey Everybody......Madwoman and ARK1 especially!!!!! look at the following:

MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS

Medical exams are required for certain types of United States visas. Such medical examinations must be performed by one of the following physicians:

NAIROBI

International Organization for Migration (IOM)

Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC)

P.O BOX 55040-00200

4TH Ngong Avenue

Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 2720061/2

MOMBASA

Dr. C. B. Patel

City House, Moi Avenue

Mombasa Medical Practice

P. O. Box 80681

Mombasa, Kenya

Tel 041-2222857/8

NO OTHER MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS ARE ACCEPTABLE TO THE U.S. EMBASSY IN NAIROBI

I just happened to be purusing the Nairobi Embassy website and it was updated on 12/23/08..this does not include all the other doctors.....does this mean they won't accept the doctor that you guys went to???? Check it out....don't want you guys to have any delays!!!!

Timeline

Thanks for the info!! I will definantly ask my fiance to make sure the embassy will accept his medical. He has his interview on Jan 6th so hopefuly he won't have any problems. :wacko:

Hey Everybody......Madwoman and ARK1 especially!!!!! look at the following:

MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS

Medical exams are required for certain types of United States visas. Such medical examinations must be performed by one of the following physicians:

NAIROBI

International Organization for Migration (IOM)

Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC)

P.O BOX 55040-00200

4TH Ngong Avenue

Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 2720061/2

MOMBASA

Dr. C. B. Patel

City House, Moi Avenue

Mombasa Medical Practice

P. O. Box 80681

Mombasa, Kenya

Tel 041-2222857/8

NO OTHER MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS ARE ACCEPTABLE TO THE U.S. EMBASSY IN NAIROBI

I just happened to be purusing the Nairobi Embassy website and it was updated on 12/23/08..this does not include all the other doctors.....does this mean they won't accept the doctor that you guys went to???? Check it out....don't want you guys to have any delays!!!!

October 22, 2007 NOA 1

March 6, 2008 NOA 2

May 11, 2009 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.