Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Ours is also Thursday! Just scheduled it. Won't be there with him but so happy the process is moving fast!

Also thanks so much t the advice about where to stay. Can anyone explain how the passport pickup process works if you are from out of Kenya? We call the DHL location and have them forward it? Is it risky to do that? What is the time frame?

Basically he needs to get back to Uganda ASAP.

Thanks all! This forum has been a lifesaver for us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Ours is also Thursday! Just scheduled it. Won't be there with him but so happy the process is moving fast!

Also thanks so much t the advice about where to stay. Can anyone explain how the passport pickup process works if you are from out of Kenya? We call the DHL location and have them forward it? Is it risky to do that? What is the time frame?

Basically he needs to get back to Uganda ASAP.

Thanks all! This forum has been a lifesaver for us.

If he asks them to expedite it and states that he's from another country he should be able to pick it up at the embassy itself. I don't know how soon they can give it to him because we didn't realize we could request for it to be expedited until a week later. But after we called them and told them we needed it because we were leaving that weekend, they had the visa available the next day.

K-1

August 2007 - Met online

March 2011 - Met in Italy

June-July 2011 - Met in Mauritius

September 1, 2011 - Mailed 129F

September 6, 2011 - NOA 1

January 25, 2012 - NOA 2 (141 days)

February 6, 2012 - Received letter from NVC

February 17, 2012 - Confirmation that case received by embassy

March 5-6, 2012 - Medical

March 8, 2012 - Interview - APPROVED!

March 16, 2012 - Visa in hand

April 22, 2012 - POE

May 13, 2012 - Married!

June 19, 2012 - Mailed AOS packet

June 21, 2012 - AOS, EAD NOA

July 6, 2012 - RFE :(

Sept 5, 2012 - RFE response returned

Sept 7, 2012 - RFE response received by USCIS

December 13, 2012 - AOS Interview, rescheduled

January 24, 2012 - AOS Interview II - APPROVED!

February 1, 2013 - Green card received

November 6, 2014 - Mailed ROC packet

November 10, 2014 - NOA

August 20, 2015 - Green card received

February 9, 2016 - Mailed N400 packet

May 3, 2016 - Naturalization Interview - APPROVED!

June 6, 2016 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We got our interview date - Thursday, March 22nd! His medical exam is complete (everything went well) so this is our last step!!

Wish us luck! I wish I could be with him, but I have school and there's no way I can make it. Hoping it all goes smoothly...

Good luck with your interview! I just took a deep breath! :star:

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Good luck with your interview! I just took a deep breath! :star:

Thank you!! Much appreciated!

K-1

May - Oct2008 – Meet in Uganda, meet his family, live with his family

Oct '08-'11 - correspond, work together through a common non-profit

June-July 2011 - Return to Uganda; we get engaged!!

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Feb 16, 2012 – NVC Clearance

March 16-19 2012 - Medical exam

March 22, 2012- Interview, refused pending Kenya police certificate

April 5, 2012 Police Certificate issued

April 10, 2012 Police certificate and passport delivered to consulate

April 13, 2012 Email from consulate notifying of visa APPROVAL!!!!!!

April 18th, 2012 Approximate pick-up date of passport

April 20th, 2012 Actual day passport ready for pick-up; visa in hand!

April 29th, 2012 Anticipated entry to the US!!! (Boston, Logan international)

Timeline

So an update...Dan's visa was refused this morning based on "missing evidence." Ten years ago Dan lived in Kenya for about 9 months (less than a year). He did not have a police clearance from Kenya, and so his interviewer refused his visa application based on that, and on the fact that I am attending Harvard and she said, since he had not completed University that "there's no way an American would marry you."

The questions he was asked - these are only a few, he was bombarded with questions and demeaning comments:

What countries have you visited? he said Kenya. "Where is your police clearance for Kenya?"

Where does your fiance work, how old is she, how did we meet, how many times we've seen each other Where does she go to school, "American's don't get married to people that don't have degrees" "why would someone who decided to go to that school ever decide to marry you?"

She said, "I am not convinced of your relationship, how can you do that, how can you marry someone from Harvard"

She said she was "Not satisfied with the relationship."

The personality of the interviewer was brusque, demeaning, rushed, ridiculing.

I had provided 100+ pages of additional information including wedding dress receipts, deposit for wedding reception, daily conversation logs from the day we got engaged, emails, phone logs... everything was well organized and clearly marked but she looked at none of it. They examined our financial documents and then the harangue ensued. We had plenty of photos and she did not request more.

He went directly to the Kenyan police and filled out the paperwork...two more weeks until he can pick that up. He also visited Tanzania ten years ago (also for less than a year) who knows if they'll want that police clearance too although the form they gave him says only that he needs to provide a Kenyan police clearance.

He was interviewed by the infamous blond...I am devastated but trying to keep my chin up.

K-1

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

So an update...Dan's visa was refused this morning based on "missing evidence." Ten years ago Dan lived in Kenya for about 9 months (less than a year). He did not have a police clearance from Kenya, and so his interviewer refused his visa application based on that, and on the fact that I am attending Harvard and she said, since he had not completed University that "there's no way an American would marry you."

The questions he was asked - these are only a few, he was bombarded with questions and demeaning comments:

What countries have you visited? he said Kenya. "Where is your police clearance for Kenya?"

Where does your fiance work, how old is she, how did we meet, how many times we've seen each other Where does she go to school, "American's don't get married to people that don't have degrees" "why would someone who decided to go to that school ever decide to marry you?"

She said, "I am not convinced of your relationship, how can you do that, how can you marry someone from Harvard"

The personality of the interviewer was brusque, demeaning, rushed, ridiculing.

I had provided 100+ pages of additional information including wedding dress receipts, deposit for wedding reception, daily conversation logs from the day we got engaged, emails, phone logs... everything was well organized and clearly marked but she looked at none of it. They examined our financial documents and then the harangue ensued. We had plenty of photos and she did not request more.

He went directly to the Kenyan police and filled out the paperwork...two more weeks until he can pick that up. He also visited Tanzania ten years ago (also for less than a year) who knows if they'll want that police clearance too although the form they gave him says only that he needs to provide a Kenyan police clearance.

He was interviewed by the infamous blond...I am devastated but trying to keep my chin up.

I would call the embassy and complain. Did he get the name of the interviewer? You should explain that you followed the instructions on the embassy website, which states that you do not need to provide a police certificate for countries you lived in for less than a year and yet your fiancé's visa was refused because of it. I don't know if it would help but you could try writing your local congressman as well.

Very sorry this happened to you. :(

Edited by mehellie

K-1

August 2007 - Met online

March 2011 - Met in Italy

June-July 2011 - Met in Mauritius

September 1, 2011 - Mailed 129F

September 6, 2011 - NOA 1

January 25, 2012 - NOA 2 (141 days)

February 6, 2012 - Received letter from NVC

February 17, 2012 - Confirmation that case received by embassy

March 5-6, 2012 - Medical

March 8, 2012 - Interview - APPROVED!

March 16, 2012 - Visa in hand

April 22, 2012 - POE

May 13, 2012 - Married!

June 19, 2012 - Mailed AOS packet

June 21, 2012 - AOS, EAD NOA

July 6, 2012 - RFE :(

Sept 5, 2012 - RFE response returned

Sept 7, 2012 - RFE response received by USCIS

December 13, 2012 - AOS Interview, rescheduled

January 24, 2012 - AOS Interview II - APPROVED!

February 1, 2013 - Green card received

November 6, 2014 - Mailed ROC packet

November 10, 2014 - NOA

August 20, 2015 - Green card received

February 9, 2016 - Mailed N400 packet

May 3, 2016 - Naturalization Interview - APPROVED!

June 6, 2016 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Oh, I am so sorry. So, what happens now: do they keep the petition at Nairobi and let him bring the missing evidence once he gets it? That blond sounds horrible: how is that so many people seem to get her?

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Timeline

Oh sorry about that,but you still have a chance.The blonde woman is fond of talking over people,just advice Dan not to let her talk over him next time.I know he'll make it.Sometimes we Ugandans tend to be very humble and respectful.

Edited by Dorah28

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

This is awful :-(! I am so sorry but I hope he gets another chance once he has police clearance. I may be wrong but I think it says that you need police clearance for any place you have lived for 6 months or more when you are 16 years or older and all places you have lived in for more than a year. Kind of confusing for me because then if I lived outside of the country (which I did) when I was younger than 16, I'm I expected to provide police clearance? Guess I just don't want to end up with that crazy blonde and end up with the same problem.

I am so incredibly sorry and very much hope things look up for you.

jin5xmldq.png

09/23/2010- Met online

12/23/2010- Met in person in Kenya

02/01/2011- Visited him in China

02/14/2011- He proposed while I was in China

07/09/2011- Moved to China to be with him

12/19/2011- Went to US to meet his family

01/08/2012- Went back to China with him

02/29/2012- Went back to Kenya to await fiancee visa :-(

02/07/2012: I-129F Sent

02/10/2012: USCIS received I-129F

02/10/2012: NOA1 date

02/15/2012: Touched

02/22/2012: NOA1 received in mail

05/05/2012: Broke up :(

Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between July 6, 2012 and July 9, 2012*.

"Where there is faith

There is a voice calling, keep walking

You’re not alone in this world

Where there is faith

There is a peace like a child sleeping

Hope everlasting in He who is able...

It is a wonderful, powerful place

Where there is faith" 4Him

Timeline

Good idea about the Congressman - it can't hurt! I will write him tonight. And also about calling the consulate...I hope that can't hurt, either? Would that possibly put us in a bad light? I can't see why but I feel like I don't know at this point. I hope he gets another chance too. Yes, they keep his info in Nairobi since his application was refused (not denied). His Kenyan Police Clearance will be ready in two weeks, then we have to DHL it to the consulate (not allowed to hand deliver, but he has to pick up the clearance in person, then DHL it to the consulate... then wait.) We have been working with an immigration attorney so I am still waiting to here his recommendations. I really don't know what else to do at this point.

K-1

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Timeline

Does anyone know what the process is when your visa has been refused? They told us it was refused for missing evidence (the Kenya Police Clearance). So once we DHL that to them, what happens? Any kind of time frame estimate, or even just a "what comes next"? Thanks to everyone on here for your support!

K-1

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Timeline

Also...does anyone know if he has a second interview, will it for sure be with the same person? Thanks so much all!

K-1

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Also...does anyone know if he has a second interview, will it for sure be with the same person? Thanks so much all!

It sounds like he wasn't denied, and that once he provides his police certificate from Kenya, then he's good to go. Once they get that, they should issue the visa. Did she give him any kind of slip? She should have...and that slip will explain what he needs to do. That blonde woman is something else...ignore her nasty, snide comments, she does it to EVERYBODY...she was nasty to Ben, too. Just give them what they want so you can be done with them. They don't make it easy for anybody and will find the smallest thing to deny or put off giving someone a visa. I just don't understand why she feels the need to be so mean. It must be because "she can get away with it". It's really terrible. He shouldn't need another interview once he provides what they ask for.

Edited by Ben and Jill

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.