cat

Citizenship for minor child

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

My daughter came with me on K2 visa. Now that I am US citizen how can I have a certificate for her?

Thanks

Catherine

Jun 26th, 2003 - NOA 1 (CSC)

Jan 08th, 2003 - NOA 2

Jan 14th, 2004 - NVC received case

Jan 22nd, 2004 - NVC sent to embassy

Jan 31st, 2004 - Received packet 3

Feb 13th, 2004 - Embassy received DS230 and checklist

March 5th, 2004 - Packet 4

March 17th, 2004 - Successful interview at US embassy

March 30th, 2004 - WEDDING DAY

April 10th 2004- Receive SSN by mail

April 16th, 2004- Our AOS application is sent

June 10th, 2004 - EAD and AP

June 10th, 2004 - AOS Fingerprints

August 19th 2004 - Successful AOS interview

March 30th 2006 - Sent our I-751 applications

June 16th, 2006 - Received a letter with 1 year extention for our Green cards

JULY 16th, 2006 - OUR BABY SON IS BORN WE ALL ARE SO HAPPY !!!!

August 19th, 2006 - Received 10 year Green cards

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The daughter (12 yrs old) of my wife's friend will need to wait for the full 5 years of residency (according to her lawyer); the wife is filing for her citizenship now - 3 years of residency based on marriage to US citizen. The daughter came with her mother - mother K1, daughter K2. It seems from your timeline that your daughter has been a resident here since 2004 - so probably another year to wait for her filing - just treat hers as a separate case based on 5 years of residency. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

I presume that your daughter received her GC when you got yours also?

As long as your daughter is already a GC holder, is in your custody and is under the age of 18, she automatically becomes a USC the day you took your citizenship oath. If you are in immediate need of proof of her citizenship, you can apply for a passport on her behalf. Just take her GC, her birth certificate and your naturalization certificate.

You can also file the N600 if you want her to have a certificate of citizenship.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

We just filed the application for a Passport for my daughter, she came with me on a K3 visa and was adopted by my husband which is very similar, you only need proof of YOUR citizenship (cert. of Naturalization or US passport), daughter's GC+ foreign passport+birth certificate & translation.

IT SAYS SO ON THE APPLICATION FOR PASSPORT, PAGE 2, 1 PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP: SECTION b #1

GOOD LUCK!

We just filed the application for a Passport for my daughter, she came with me on a K3 visa and was adopted by my husband which is very similar, you only need proof of YOUR citizenship (cert. of Naturalization or US passport), daughter's GC+ foreign passport+birth certificate & translation.

IT SAYS SO ON THE APPLICATION FOR PASSPORT, PAGE 2, 1 PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP: SECTION b #1

GOOD LUCK!

I adopted my K4 stepdaughter and after the required 2 years of her being in my legal custody I applied for a US passport and she got it. Haven't applied for a N-600 yet as it isn't cheap. US passport is her evidence of USC. US Passport agency took her GC before they would issue the passport.

If you have to remove conditions for yourself. DON"T include daughters name in part 5 even tho it says to list ALL children. They mean ALL children that you want to remove conditions. I did and it caused RFEs for biometric fees for daughter. USCIS got things all messed up even tho I included a copy of her US PP and adoption decree.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

.1)...When can I apply for United States citizenship?

A...As a spouse of a US Citizen, you can apply for citizenship 3 (three) years after approval of your Adjustment of Status. Back at the AOS interview, your passport was stamped with the I-551 stamp and a date. The 3 year countdown begins with that date. This 3 year period does not include long absences from the United States.

If you came to the United States on a K2 visa, you can apply for citizenship 5 (five) years after approval of Adjustment of Status, as only spouses of US Citizens are eligible to apply for Naturalization after 3 years. However, if a K2 is very young, it is possible that they may be naturalized along with the parent, if the parent becomes naturalized before the K2 turns 18.

MY TIMELINE

08-22-08 Date filed AOS/AP/EAD

08-26-08 Received 3 NOA's

09-03-08 Received Biometrics Appmt. dated 09-18-08

09-18-08 Biometrics at Columbus Ohio 11am (went smooth)

10-21-08 CRIS AP approval notice sent

10-21-08 CRIS EAD card production ordered

10-25-08 Received AP in mail

10-29-08 Received EAD in mail

11-20-08 Received notice in mail case transferred to CSC dated Nov. 14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Hello,

My daughter came with me on K2 visa. Now that I am US citizen how can I have a certificate for her?

Thanks

Catherine

You don't need to apply for a cert., even though you can if you want to (is $500 and 6 months) It is only a paper that says she is a US citizen, you can get a passport for her with the documents required in the actual Passport Aplication, in the section that says claiming citizenship through naturalized parent (s). It is confusing because you can't find any specific info on the passport website, you need to print the form.

Edited by bevperu

• 1 month later...
Hello,

Thanks

Catherine

You don't need to apply for a cert., even though you can if you want to (is $500 and 6 months) It is only a paper that says she is a US citizen, you can get a passport for her with the documents required in the actual Passport Aplication, in the section that says claiming citizenship through naturalized parent (s). It is confusing because you can't find any specific info on the passport website, you need to print the form.

I can't make her a passport, because her father doesn't want to sign the paper for her. and I dont' have a real customer as it is known in USA. It is only state that my daughther is living with me and authorized to come with me in ISA and in this case the father will see the daughther twice a year. That's all... But he refuse to sign paper for her for US passport.:(... I sent the translation of my divorce degre but they didn't want to make her a passport. So I would like to do certif for her to have a proof that she is US citizen.

BTW do you know how my husband can adopt her, do we need an authorisation for her father?

thanks

Jan 08th, 2003 - NOA 2

I have read that both parent should be naturalized for the minor to be american, is it true?... My ex is living in France and my daughther is here with me since 2004

Jan 08th, 2003 - NOA 2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Do you have legal custody of your child?

It should state somewhere in your divorce degree who of you has legal custody or whether you have joint custody.

Read your divorce decree carefully to find that.

If you have legal custody then the following applies:

Child gains automatically citizenship, if

(3) a child whose surviving parent, or the parent exercising legal

custody where the parents are legally separated or divorced, is

naturalized before the child's 18th birthday, regardless whether the

other parent was or is an alien; or

If you have legal custody then you also can apply for a passport alone!

If you don't have legal custody then your daughter has to file a seperate N-400 when she is fulfilling the requirements (5 years living in US).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.