smokey27

Co-sponsor question

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Croatia
Timeline
It's important to reiterate the fact above that the I134 has no real set standards. Most Consulates use the guidelines set by the I-864 that needs to be filed at adjustment once you're in the states, but some do not.

The point is, each Embassy is very different which is why it's of utmost importance to educate yourself to the process with special consideration for the Embassy you will be dealing with.

How, exactly, does one educate oneself as to the particularities and peculiarities of their particular embassy? If one isn't from a "popular" country, that information likely isn't going to be here on VisaJourney, and what of those who aren't lucky or able enough to visit this site? They can call the embassy, sure, but how would a normal person even know what to ask, or that anything could be different from the official rules on the DHS website?

I don't even think any embassy workers would be willing to answer a question such as, "What things in particular do you look for in the K-1 process, the work history or the money or the I-134?" In my experience, embassies will give you little to no information other than "GO READ DHS WEBSITE."

I'm not even particularly sure every embassy worker would know that their particular embassy has particular quirks or unusual weightings to the process. So I really have no idea how a normal person could "educate oneself" or avoid being screwed, other than the happenstance of finding this site and possibly finding others from the same embassy with the same exact case.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You try... and if what you try does not work.. you try something else... until you get the answers you are looking for.

If you can't find other VJ members that have gone through Croatia or do not get the answers you need from the Embassy reviews or info pages, then try another website. If you can't get in touch with the Embassy then you call DOS. If they dont help then you call your rep... etc, etc.

Information is everywhere. You just have to look...sometimes harder than others. ;)

timeline.jpg

hello papabear

how exactly did your interview go? what were the consuls questions? we would like to know and understand what really happened, then we will be able to give a better advice.

i have heard that they dont really accept co-sponsors for K1 for years now but they still do allow and approve some cases so I guess you may still be able to go back and check, but before that, let us know what really happened coz you may have just missed to answer something or maybe provide a supporting document or information to convince the consul to give you a visa.

- LMY -

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that; however, I think there is still luck for you. I don't have any experience with the Phillipines, but I recently received a K1 visa for my fiance in Brazil like two weeks ago. I'm currently a student with no income, but my grandfather acted as my co-sponsor. We didn't have any problems although she was asked about my employment during the interview. From all of the research that I have done as long as you have a co-sponsor and supply all the required information, you shouldn't have a problem. As he was self-employed I just provided 1040 Federal Income Tax forms and a notarized copy of the i-134 forms as well as my own i-134. I think that US immigration policy is standard throughout the entire world so you really shouldn't have a problem. If i was you I would go back to the Consulate and ask to speak to someone because the agent you spoke to was wrong or maybe because you were missing key documents. By the way you should try searching the boards for experiences of those in the Phillipines. Good luck you you.

Timeline

Just like to reiterate that there are no specific guidelines for the affidavit of support (I-134) sent by the petitioner for use at the interview stage for a K1 visa... most Consulates will use the standards set by the I-864 (affidavit of support filed at AOS) because they know you will need to be prepared for that once your fiance is in the U.S. but there is no law stating they must or mustn't accept a co-sponsor at this level of the process.

It's common knowledge around here that using a co-sponsor at certain Consulates is just not an option.

You can learn all you need about the process in the Phillipines by visiting the PI Regional Forum here on VJ and reading through the sticky topics at the top.

timeline.jpg

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that; however, I think there is still luck for you. I don't have any experience with the Phillipines, but I recently received a K1 visa for my fiance in Brazil like two weeks ago. I'm currently a student with no income, but my grandfather acted as my co-sponsor. We didn't have any problems although she was asked about my employment during the interview. From all of the research that I have done as long as you have a co-sponsor and supply all the required information, you shouldn't have a problem. As he was self-employed I just provided 1040 Federal Income Tax forms and a notarized copy of the i-134 forms as well as my own i-134. I think that US immigration policy is standard throughout the entire world so you really shouldn't have a problem. If i was you I would go back to the Consulate and ask to speak to someone because the agent you spoke to was wrong or maybe because you were missing key documents. By the way you should try searching the boards for experiences of those in the Phillipines. Good luck you you.

Manila is a high fraud post and routinely denies K-1 and K-3 w/co-sponsor. The US immigration policy is standard throught the world and the CO's at each consuralte get the same instructions from the State Dept., but it's that same policy that gives the CO quite a bit power to judge each case on it's merits and decide that a co sponsor is unacceptable.

Sorry for your bad news my papabear. Start planning a wedding and filing a CR-1. Good luck.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
You try... and if what you try does not work.. you try something else... until you get the answers you are looking for.

If you can't find other VJ members that have gone through Croatia or do not get the answers you need from the Embassy reviews or info pages, then try another website. If you can't get in touch with the Embassy then you call DOS. If they dont help then you call your rep... etc, etc.

Information is everywhere. You just have to look...sometimes harder than others. ;)

I wish. =/

There really are very, very few Croatians (I finally stumbled upon one today and am really hoping she will notice my message and help with what she seems to have been through that yet awaits me/us) on this forum. Elsewhere on the internet, even less so. There are only about 4.5 millions of us and really an unsignificant number ends up immigrating to the US. Out of those, most won't get anywhere even near a forum or website, other than the official ones which, so far, have proven to be mostly useless, if not even full of incorrect or at least incomplete information.

The Embassy in Zagreb, of course, has a couple phone numbers you can sometimes reach, but it's really hard to get any information from the employees. They usually just send you back to the website that was the main reason you called them in the first place, due to horrible lack of information. They, of course, also have an email but I have yet to receive anything other than an automated reply from them, saying that someone will, actually, type something up. Someday. No reply so far, and it's been over a year since my first inquiry. A while ago, they seemed really helpful when it was an USC asking for advice/help, but right now that isn't really working either.

Neither of us has problems with looking things up - we gladly would (and have been, as much as possible), but the problem really is - lack of information and/or even ideas as to where else we could look. Experience with the Embassy so far has thought us to simply not rely on what's posted on any and all official websites so I don't really think we're being paranoid or way too cautious. It's just that, if this fails, we don't really have many other options and we're only really trying to make sure we're doing things right.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Timeline

Yes, I can see your point... i'm sorry the information your looking for is not readily available. If you're anything like me (who needs to know everything ;) ) that has to be difficult.

The reviews for the Consulate seem pretty good even though the information on how the process is handled is not so current in the links I left you above. Hopefully they can help ease your mind a bit.

Hopefully the process for you will be smooth and the things you read here will help you prepare the best you can for the interview.

What you can do, after you've gone through the process or find others from Croatia that have, is enter a thorough review of the Consulate for others so the information is available.

Again, the best of luck to you.

timeline.jpg

Here is my solution:

Dahil hindi nila isinauli yung passport mo, ibig sabihin siguro kailangan pa nila ng ibang katunayan bago maaprobahan ang iyong mga dokumento.

Hindi ko pa narinig na hindi tumatanggap ang USEM ng Co sponsors.

Kung ako ikaw, mag rerequest ako uli ng interview.

ano ang sinabi sa paperwork mo tungkol sa requirements na kailangan ng USEM?

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Hi to everyone, I was done my Interview today at Manila Embassy and I did not get an Approval and back my Passport to me, because the consul said that the K1 Visa is not allowed a Co- sponsor. My fiance did not meet the minimum requirement for Poverty line (he only work as a Part time), That's why he used his Father as a Co-sponsor, But the thing is Co-sponsor is not Applicable now to K1 Visa, They did not denied our Petition they just ask the Notorized letter from New employer of my fiance stating his start date salary. Because I told to the Consul that My fiance is looking a for a new job, which Is true, But I know it took a while before you get a new job. Now my question is can my fiance got a 2 jobs even if its both part-time so he can meet the minimum requirement, what is the chances that we denied on this petition if ever we dont provide it, If we denied can we Married and change our Petiton to CR1, and If we get married are we gonna start all over again,,. Sorry to a lot of question I just feel so bad the outcome of my Interview, because on my knowledge and research the co-sponsor is allowed beside we hire a lawyer to file this petition to make sure that the petition are no chances of denial. So I know with all your advice I am more open on what is our next thing that we have to do, Again thank you in advance..

Hi. We have the same case. I recently had my interview and I was given a blue slip because I need to submit my husband's notarized employment letter and submit again a notarized I-134. It is indeed frustrating because we were told that is sponsor cannot meet income requirements, then there would be no problem if there will be a co-sponsor. I told that to the consul who interviewed me and she said that that does not apply to the visa we applied. Me and my husband will submit his employment letter. I hope that I can get visa soon after I submit the documents they need. I have a friend who got her visa just a few days after her interview... We should keep doing everything we can....In my case, I want so much to be with my husband...

I hope things will work out fine with you...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I do have some research about the co-sponsor and what I found is not every consulate are the same law about the co- sponsor, But like the third world county like Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand these consulate are very strict, Here is one post in VJ http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=143834... And here's another link from the other forum that co-sponsor is really causes of denial or delay of visa, in (USEM)..http://www.visapro.com/message-board/showthread.php?t=9365... But what I understand also is there is an exception for co-sponsor, If the petitioner is a under medication or a student then I guess there are chance to approved. I am not trying to scare about my experience I am more open to share my experience so for those who did not know about are more ready and can prepare what they needed,,.Thank you to all your reply

AOS-

09/15/2010 - Sent AOS

09/23/2010 - Receive Text and Email

09/27/2010 - Receive Hard Copy in the Mail (EAD,AP,AOS)

10/13/2010 - RFE on my I-485( waiting the letter on the mail )

10/18/2010 - Biometrics Appointment (touch AOS, EAD at the same day )

10/22/2010 - Sent RFE

10/26/2010 - Touch ( received RFE Under review )

Timeline
Hi to everyone, I was done my Interview today at Manila Embassy and I did not get an Approval and back my Passport to me, because the consul said that the K1 Visa is not allowed a Co- sponsor. My fiance did not meet the minimum requirement for Poverty line (he only work as a Part time), That's why he used his Father as a Co-sponsor, But the thing is Co-sponsor is not Applicable now to K1 Visa, They did not denied our Petition they just ask the Notorized letter from New employer of my fiance stating his start date salary. Because I told to the Consul that My fiance is looking a for a new job, which Is true, But I know it took a while before you get a new job. Now my question is can my fiance got a 2 jobs even if its both part-time so he can meet the minimum requirement, what is the chances that we denied on this petition if ever we dont provide it, If we denied can we Married and change our Petiton to CR1, and If we get married are we gonna start all over again,,. Sorry to a lot of question I just feel so bad the outcome of my Interview, because on my knowledge and research the co-sponsor is allowed beside we hire a lawyer to file this petition to make sure that the petition are no chances of denial. So I know with all your advice I am more open on what is our next thing that we have to do, Again thank you in advance..

Hi. We have the same case. I recently had my interview and I was given a blue slip because I need to submit my husband's notarized employment letter and submit again a notarized I-134. It is indeed frustrating because we were told that is sponsor cannot meet income requirements, then there would be no problem if there will be a co-sponsor. I told that to the consul who interviewed me and she said that that does not apply to the visa we applied. Me and my husband will submit his employment letter. I hope that I can get visa soon after I submit the documents they need. I have a friend who got her visa just a few days after her interview... We should keep doing everything we can....In my case, I want so much to be with my husband...

I hope things will work out fine with you...

I am not given a blue slip beside they gave a pink slip but since I have my passport back to me, I did not pay for delivery the guy on window 37 said I can Pay deliver after I submit the document that we need, Did you already provide it now or still waiting, how about your friends did she have the same problem like us and when she send the required documents did she get her visa after,. Thank you knowing that I am not the only person in this sitution. I feel the same that we both miss our partner, I do all prayer for us,.

AOS-

09/15/2010 - Sent AOS

10/22/2010 - Sent RFE

Hi. Is the pink slip a whole page or is it the pink slip referring to paying the visa delivery? I got blue slip and i for pink slip referring to paying the visa delivery. I was given back my passport too and will pay visa delivery fee once i submit the documents they need. My husband will send his employment letter this week and the I-134. I pray that we can get visa a few days after I submit docs.

Oh my friend did not have any problems like ours. We had the same interview date and now got her visa just yesterday. I think that philippine embassy does not allow co-sponsorhip even though consulates in other countries allow it. Well, we just have to follow what they ask from us... God bless you....

Timeline
Hi. Is the pink slip a whole page or is it the pink slip referring to paying the visa delivery? I got blue slip and i for pink slip referring to paying the visa delivery. I was given back my passport too and will pay visa delivery fee once i submit the documents they need. My husband will send his employment letter this week and the I-134. I pray that we can get visa a few days after I submit docs.

Oh my friend did not have any problems like ours. We had the same interview date and now got her visa just yesterday. I think that philippine embassy does not allow co-sponsorhip even though consulates in other countries allow it. Well, we just have to follow what they ask from us... God bless you....

yes it's a pink slip referring for visa delivery and white slip for additional requirement,,. Good for you because you can provide the documents that you needed while me is still waiting until my fiance can get a job,. All i can do is to pray that he can get a job quicker,. Keep posting what happen when you send your requirements, Thank's again

AOS-

09/15/2010 - Sent AOS

10/22/2010 - Sent RFE

Timeline
hello papabear

how exactly did your interview go? what were the consuls questions? we would like to know and understand what really happened, then we will be able to give a better advice.

i have heard that they dont really accept co-sponsors for K1 for years now but they still do allow and approve some cases so I guess you may still be able to go back and check, but before that, let us know what really happened coz you may have just missed to answer something or maybe provide a supporting document or information to convince the consul to give you a visa.

- LMY -

Actually there is no Question about the I-134, This is exactly what happen after all the question about the relationship like how did we meet blah blah (sorry to make it short),I though we are all set and she starting to type on the computer and next is he hold my Fiance 1-134 and ask who is MS (my fiance name) and I answer her he is my Fiance and then hold the 1-134 of my fiance father and ask and then who is this JS my fiance father name and I answer he is my fiance father our co-sponsor and she started saying sorry, I think she mention 3 times to say sorry for not giving me a visa for now because the K1 visa is not applicable for co-sponsor, and then i showed to her the Bank statement of my fiance and she said that still not sufficient, I am glad she did not deny us, she only ask for documents that comes from my fiance Employer but the main problem is my fiance is starting to look for a new job, And I know that it took a while before he send me that required document., Its better for you to call the embassy and try to Inquire because that is what did,.

AOS-

09/15/2010 - Sent AOS

10/22/2010 - Sent RFE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.