14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I already have my visa and scheduled my flight on the 3rd week of this June to US. I'm going directly to Loma Linda CA to spend 3 weeks vacation first with my relatives before my fiance will pick me up and head to San Jose, my end destination.

My question:

Is it possible to get my SSN after 2 weeks in Loma Linda ? And if it's possible, then is there a problem about changing my lastname in San Jose after we get married?

I don't want to waste time with this AOS thing so if that is possible then will possibly do that.

Please advice.

Thanks!

It's very possible to appoly for ur SSN while in Loma Linda, but why wouldn't u just wait until u get to ur final destination w/ur fiance? Im asking because you still have to wait for USCIS to put u in the system b4 even receiving your SS card; so therefore you may as well do it when u reach San Jose. Just my 2 cents.

Sweetee

A good marriage begins when both partners feel they got better than they deserve~~~~~~~~~~~~~

K1 TIMELINE

09/23/2003...NOA1(TSC)

02/05/2004...NOA2

02/16/2004...NVC CLEARED

03/09/2004...PACKET RECEIVED(FIANCEE PICKED UP)

06/07/2004...INTERVIEW DATE(SUCCESSFULL.....GOD IS IN CONTROL)

06/10/2004...VISA IN HAND

06/25/2004...USA ARRIVAL

06/29/2004...Applied for SSN

07/06/2004...Applied for Job(SUCCESS)

07/12/2004...SSN arrived in mail

07/15/2004...Began new Job

08/11/2004...WEDDING DATE....(Court)

09/15/2004...EAD & I-485 filed(via infopass)

09/27/2004...EAD & I-485 Receipt date

10/01/2004...NOA 1

10/08/2004...Received Driver's License

11/22/2004...Biometrics

12/27/2004...EAD approval

12/31/2004...EAD card arrives

01/01/2005...Church Wedding(Happy New Year!!!)

03/29/2005...I-485 interview(APPROVED!!!)

04/08/2005...Green Card arrival

12/29/2006...Lift Conditions pending(90 day advance filing)

Timeline
It's very possible to appoly for ur SSN while in Loma Linda, but why wouldn't u just wait until u get to ur final destination w/ur fiance? Im asking because you still have to wait for USCIS to put u in the system b4 even receiving your SS card; so therefore you may as well do it when u reach San Jose. Just my 2 cents.

Sweetee

Thanks for your advice Sweetee but I've read from this forum that after 2 weeks from arrival you can already apply for SSN and for sure the USCIS had put me in the system. I just dont want to waste my time waiting when i can just apply it right away.

So u mean I can apply SSN in other county and will not have a problem for changing my lastname in SJ right?

Thanks.

Javy123

Here is our experience.

My wife applied ~2 weeks after she got to the US (in the town were we live), she got her card in the mail ~4 weeks later, she used her maiden name to apply because that is what is on the visa and we had not gotten married yet. We went back after we were married and applied to change her name but the 90 day period had expired and she will have to wait until she gets EAD. No big deal because you can't work after the 90 period has expired anyways until you get EAD.

As for appling in LL vs SJ it should not be a big deal, just explain the situation and put down your SJ address.

Timeline
Javy123

Here is our experience.

My wife applied ~2 weeks after she got to the US (in the town were we live), she got her card in the mail ~4 weeks later, she used her maiden name to apply because that is what is on the visa and we had not gotten married yet. We went back after we were married and applied to change her name but the 90 day period had expired and she will have to wait until she gets EAD. No big deal because you can't work after the 90 period has expired anyways until you get EAD.

As for appling in LL vs SJ it should not be a big deal, just explain the situation and put down your SJ address.

Thank you bamdame. Definitely i will do that but if ever i applied for it in LL then after marriage, is there any problem in SJ for my name change? or i need to go back to LL for name change since i applied from there. Im confused, please advice.

Thanks again!

I don't think you have to go back to the original office, but just like any other governement office it could be hit and miss with the person behind the desk. I would just ask the question, but if it was a problem it would be tough on USC's also, having to do business at the original place(s) they applied for SSN at, i.e. you child gets a SSN card at the atlanta office when he was 2 years old and then you move to Alaska...see my point. You will be GTG!

Filed: Timeline
I would just ask the question, but if it was a problem it would be tough on USC's also, having to do business at the original place(s) they applied for SSN at, i.e. you child gets a SSN card at the atlanta office when he was 2 years old and then you move to Alaska...see my point. You will be GTG!

Your point is wrong. Once the SSN has been assigned and card is issued where you go back for a replacement card is not affected by where the original SSN application was submitted.

Until the application is processed you have the status verification to deal with in kind of hard to go into the office where you submitted your application to follow up if you are 500 miles away.

Javy123

Ok, I'm not going to get in a argument with someone on this, just go to the LL office, explain the situation and ask the question, if you provide them with the required information it should be ok, but in the end it is up to you.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I've read from this forum that after 2 weeks from arrival you can already apply for SSN and for sure the USCIS had put me in the system.

Can you show me where you read that here?

Waiting two weeks is one recommendation to improve the odds that you are in the SAVE system, but it is no guarantee. Some people go into SSA sooner than 2 weeks after arriving and get their number just fine. Others wait until closer to Day 76 and still are not in the system.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

I've read from this forum that after 2 weeks from arrival you can already apply for SSN and for sure the USCIS had put me in the system.

Can you show me where you read that here?

Waiting two weeks is one recommendation to improve the odds that you are in the SAVE system, but it is no guarantee. Some people go into SSA sooner than 2 weeks after arriving and get their number just fine. Others wait until closer to Day 76 and still are not in the system.

well you are right meauxna. Still depends and not exactly saying 2 weeks. I've noticed from most of the timelines here, they applied for SSN after 2 weeks and they were ok. So probably i can try to apply after 2 weeks, who knows i might be lucky and without so much delay.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello!!

I understood you do not want to waste your time...

When I applied to SSN, it was some problems and I did not recieve the card for a while.

They showed the phone # on the reciept which we can call if we have some problems.

Anyway, I did not call and I just directly went back to the office and they told me that I already got the number, but some mistakes occured that why I did not recieve the card yet.

So they wrote down the my SS number and the direct phone number of the office and officer name, which I can call, on the paper.

I recieved SSN card 10weeks later after I applied.

It was possible that I just made a phone call would be same result, but for me it was easier to talk to real officer directly.

Take a deep breath and be relax because we have a long journey, anyway.

Good luck!!

P.S. We will be neighbor YAY!! :D

popodog and popocat

<AOS>

10/14/2005:Married

05/01/2006:I-130,I-485, and I-765 mailed to Chicago

05/03/2006:these are received in Chicago

05/12/2006:Received NOA1 (dated 05/09/2006)

05/13/2006:Able to track cases online

05/17/2006:Touch(I-130,485,765)

05/19/2006:Touch(I-130,485,765)

05/20/2006:Received Biometric letter(I-485,765)

05/30/2006:Biometric appointment 2pm

06/01/2006:Touch(I-485,765)

06/03/2006:Touch(I-130,765)

06/07/2006:RFE(I-485) sent on 06/05/2006

06/09/2006:Recieved RFE(Birth Certificate) and sent it back

06/20/2006:Recieved my Response on 06/15/2006 and updated status

07/04/2006:Touch(I-765)

07/05/2006:Touch(I-765)

07/06/2006:Approved(I-765)my birthday!

07/08/2006:Touch(I-765)

07/10/2006:Touch(I-765)

07/11/2006:EAD card arrived

07/14/2006:Recieved interview letter 08/29/2006

08/29/2006:Approved(I-485)

09/12/2006:Recieved Green Card

<Removal Condition>

" life is like carrying heavy staff on your back and walking long distance toward a far away distination..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.