Gigglesngrins

Just some car info

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey All!!!

Just wanted to share some good news with everyone who is moving to the US. I called GM today to find out if I need to pay off my car before I move. Just in case anyone else is in the same situation as I am, if you are financing your vehicle, you do not need to pay off the entire remaining amount on the car. You can continue to pay for the vehicle through a Canadian account. If you are leasing, you must vehicle off....at least according to GM.

Hope it helps!

"Let your legs carry your body and your heart carry your dreams."

June 19th, 2006 - I129-F sent via Fedex (courtesy of my Honey's work) to arrive using next day delivery

Mid- July - Found out I129-F never left his company but is lost there.....need to gather and try again

August 2006 - Still waiting...maybe not the I-129F route anymore

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's a good news, I guess you are lucky it was financed through GM, my Mazda was financed through Bank of Nova Scotia and they said it has to be paid off. I was also told that I have to show title in my name at the border, not sure how true is that. Lots of hassle around the car...

AOS TIMELINE

10/27/06 Mailed I-485 and I765 to Chicago

11/07/06 Checks cashed

11/09/06 Received NOA1 for both EAD and AOS in the mail

11/13/06 Received a letter for Biometrics appointment

11/15/06 Received e-mail that RFE has been mailed yesterday

11/21/06 Biometrics appointment

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/08/06 RFE accepted in Lee's Summit - USPS confirmation

12/12/06 RFE recorded on file by USCIS

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

12/26/06 Received Interview letter dated Dec 19

01/20/07 EAD file touched

01/24/07 EAD approved and card production ordered - received 3 e-mails!

01/24/07 AOS file touched

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

01/30/07 EAD Card Received by Mail

02/07/07 AOS Interview, approved pending FBI name check

04/27/07 Received E-Mail "Welcome New Resident"

04/30/07 Received E-Mail "Card Production Ordered"

05/01/07 Received Welcome Letter in mail

05/07/07 Green card received in the mail!

01/28/09 Mailed I-751 application.

01/30/09 Check already cleared! In two days!

02/03/09 Received NOA - Letter of extension dated 01/29/09

02/11/09 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 02/24/09

02/24/09 Biometrics Appointment Completed.

04/01/09 Inforpass appointment- got I-551 stamp in my passport

04/11/09 Approval Letter received - dated 04/07/09

05/06/09 E-mail "Card Production Ordered" received

06/01/09 10 Year Green Card Received!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nissan Canada, (nissan Finance Canada) stated mine ahd to be paid off prior as well. Glad GM allows you to do that

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I am with TD-Canada Trust I guess I will have to ask them what I have to do. I am hoping I can take it with me I will need it when I move in order to work.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently i have a lease with Toyota credti canada. I called them up to ask if my car was meeting the requirements to bring it in the US before buying it, and all they said was that i had to be the owner of the car and that everthing else was ok. So then i called my dealer to know what was the buy back on it and they even offered me to refinance my car with an interest rate cheaper than my bank. But nobody ever told me that it had to be paid off before leaving there so i guess i cant just keep paying it throught my canadian account...

Well im not sure about that again maybe i should ask. And without going off the subject, anyone knows if its easy to make money transfert from USA to a canadian account without getting too many questions from the US bank?

mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Transferring money: http://www.customhouse.com/

Much better rates than what Wachovia was giving me.

No fees what so ever, they make there $$ off the exchange rate difference

Takes a bit to set up. Apply online. Once has to send them proof --2 or 3 pieces of ID. You can mail, fax or email (if you have a scanner) that in. They have a secure email addy they wil send you. Plus they set up a short telephone interview, again for security purposes. Plus you have to send them info regarding your Cdn bank acct, and USA bank acct. Its not that difficult, really it isnt.

Once you complete a basic trade- which is super easy to do, takes 3-4 business days to complete the transaction. During the exchanging of $$$ you can back out if you do not like the exchange rate.

I have used it many times, and never had a problem. If you have any questions, shoot them an email or cal them, excellent customer service. Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Transferring money: http://www.customhouse.com/

Much better rates than what Wachovia was giving me.

No fees what so ever, they make there $$ off the exchange rate difference

Takes a bit to set up. Apply online. Once has to send them proof --2 or 3 pieces of ID. You can mail, fax or email (if you have a scanner) that in. They have a secure email addy they wil send you. Plus they set up a short telephone interview, again for security purposes. Plus you have to send them info regarding your Cdn bank acct, and USA bank acct. Its not that difficult, really it isnt.

Once you complete a basic trade- which is super easy to do, takes 3-4 business days to complete the transaction. During the exchanging of $$$ you can back out if you do not like the exchange rate.

I have used it many times, and never had a problem. If you have any questions, shoot them an email or cal them, excellent customer service. Cheers

Thanks, added in my bookmarks :)

Mephys

Hey All!!!

Just wanted to share some good news with everyone who is moving to the US. I called GM today to find out if I need to pay off my car before I move. Just in case anyone else is in the same situation as I am, if you are financing your vehicle, you do not need to pay off the entire remaining amount on the car. You can continue to pay for the vehicle through a Canadian account. If you are leasing, you must vehicle off....at least according to GM.

Hope it helps!

Well thinking about it, it takes the title to cross the border, i guess, and I just called one of my friends and he told me that there is no way Toyota is gonna give me the title if the car is not paid off ( still have to confirm) but he also said that usually, any banks and/or car company wont give you the title until its paid because they can always come back and take the car if you are not doing your payments as a guaranty. Unless you get lucky to get a loan that is not related to your car to buy it, so that they cant take it back.

Means I will have to get rid of it , cause there is no way i can pay 15 000$ before the end of the year :cry:

Is GM gonna give you your car title, that is my question.

Mephys

Timeline
Hey All!!!

Hope it helps!

Well that may work for your bank.. but that won't work when you register your car... if you have a lein, it must be held by a US Financial institution...

So you'll have to get a car loan in the US and use that to pay off your Canadian loan...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

I did speak directly with GM and they said since my financing was with General Motors, I will have no problems with it at all. Since it's a North American company and financed directly through them, I tend to believe that it won't be a problem. I am thinking that if you are financed through a bank, it would be different.

"Let your legs carry your body and your heart carry your dreams."

June 19th, 2006 - I129-F sent via Fedex (courtesy of my Honey's work) to arrive using next day delivery

Mid- July - Found out I129-F never left his company but is lost there.....need to gather and try again

August 2006 - Still waiting...maybe not the I-129F route anymore

Called Toyota up today... :(

As I thought it would be, I cant bring my in the US if Its finance by Toyota credit Canada, it that can help those who may want to bring a toyota....

Has to be paid off!! ( like I got 15000$) :wacko:

Getting a personnal loan to buy it without having the bank keeping my title, I'll forget about that because the interest rates are way too high compared to a car loan.

Only options here: sell my car to whoever, transfert the loan to whoever, and at the end when I move if I havent found anybody yet, I can give back my car to the dealer and pay for the difference between the balance and what they are gonna give me ( about 2000$). So I guess I can buy a little piece of quiet mind and know that I wont be "stuck" with the car. Thats about it.

Sad sad girl here (after getting rid of a lot of things to be able to move, just added the car on the list)

Mephys

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I dont get this. You have the registration papers, (What Americans refer to as title) and the title, when you get it, will say MAY BE SUBJECT TO UNDISCLOSED LEAN on it or something..

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.