strawberry2007

Documents for EAD and adjustment of status

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm getting ready to pick up my husband from the airport in 8 days!!!!!!! and trying to get an understanding of the EAD and adjustment of status process. I've read the guides on this website, and wanted to ask the folks coming from Egypt if someone could please confirm that these are the only documents of my husband's that we'll need for the process:

Birth certificate

Marriage contract

Medical exam documents

Also, would it be better for him to get translations of his birth certificate and medical in Egypt rather than here? I am not sure where to find an official translator here.

Thanks very much.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm getting ready to pick up my husband from the airport in 8 days!!!!!!! and trying to get an understanding of the EAD and adjustment of status process. I've read the guides on this website, and wanted to ask the folks coming from Egypt if someone could please confirm that these are the only documents of my husband's that we'll need for the process:

Birth certificate

Marriage contract

Medical exam documents

Also, would it be better for him to get translations of his birth certificate and medical in Egypt rather than here? I am not sure where to find an official translator here.

Thanks very much.

We had all our foreign language documents translated before my husband got here. I would guess its probably much cheaper and easier to find there! Tell him to hurry and get on it! Oh and get extra copies in case!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

About translations, the translator doe not need to be a professional, just someone fluent in English and foreign language, they simply signe the translation "Certifying" it.

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Many on K-3 work this strategy, they file for EAD first and pay the fee, then file for AOS as closs to their 2nd wedding anniversary without going 1 year past visa medical, if the AOS is approved after 2nd wedding anniversary, the resulting green-card will be a 10 year card, NO removal of conditions 2 years later.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Awesome, thank you both! It will not be hard to have a fluent speaker translate and certify it for us.

As for the EAD, I just read that he may be able to receive that at the port of entry (JFK). I'm going to email my husband a letter that he can give to the officer that requests the EAD stamp in case they don't give it to him automatically. I'm assuming if he gets it, he'll be able to work, even without a SSN. I had not been anticipating that, but would be wonderful if so, since he'd be able to work when he's ready, instead of waiting for us to file the paperwork for the EAD. Hopefully he'll get it at the port of entry.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Awesome, thank you both! It will not be hard to have a fluent speaker translate and certify it for us.

As for the EAD, I just read that he may be able to receive that at the port of entry (JFK). I'm going to email my husband a letter that he can give to the officer that requests the EAD stamp in case they don't give it to him automatically. I'm assuming if he gets it, he'll be able to work, even without a SSN. I had not been anticipating that, but would be wonderful if so, since he'd be able to work when he's ready, instead of waiting for us to file the paperwork for the EAD. Hopefully he'll get it at the port of entry.

The EAD from the airport is a temp EAD - it's only good for 3 months. You should still file for one later if you plan on waiting to file the AOS. Otherwise its free with the AOS application (you send in the application at the same time, same envelope) and its a good thing to have if the actual greencard takes awhile - It's free anyway so no harm.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline

Thank you very much, polarbear. I didn't realize that it's a temporary EAD that is issued at the port of entry. We'll probably go ahead and file for it with the AOS paperwork, too. Our 2-year anniversary is in 7 mos., so we may wait a bit to file, shooting for an approval date after our anniversary. I'm looking at other people's timelines to see how they've been going.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.