Rocky_nBullwinkle

Are you acclimated?

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys! It's the fall season once again. The nights are getting longer and days are becoming shorter. Are you ready for the cold spell? My husband calls me a wussy because I'm still not acclimated after being here for more than a year now. Please share your experience during your first fall and winter in the United States. We live in northern California where you don't get to see snow in the winter, but it is freaking cold and frosty in the morning. The closest thing I have experienced when it comes to seeing snow are ice frost on top of the roof of our house. I have yet to see a real snow I guess. Instead of buying thermal clothes for me, he ended up buying an electric blanket to keep me warm during the night. It was the start of the fall season when I arrived in the United States. I was always wearing pyjamas, sweaters and slipper socks during the day. Some days were rainy, some days were stormy and some days were foggy. The tulley fogs sometimes can get worse specially when you are driving on the road on a foggy night. Don't like Winter much. But Fall is okay. How about you?

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

well its almost two yrs for me here in colorado and boy its been real cold and been real hot (to the extreme at times)... im getting used to it in a way that i have to deal w/ it everyday. but i still complain if its down to 70 degrees lol... fall is here but sure feels like winter for my standard since its really cold at night (35-45 during night time)... but in a way i love the changing of the season. the only consilation for me during winter is that i get to snowboard and play w/ the snow sometimes. otherwise winter could be so depressingly cold. brrrrr... God bless to all

Edited by RonMay

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Hi guys! It's the fall season once again. The nights are getting longer and days are becoming shorter. Are you ready for the cold spell? My husband calls me a wussy because I'm still not acclimated after being here for more than a year now. Please share your experience during your first fall and winter in the United States. We live in northern California where you don't get to see snow in the winter, but it is freaking cold and frosty in the morning. The closest thing I have experienced when it comes to seeing snow are ice frost on top of the roof of our house. I have yet to see a real snow I guess. Instead of buying thermal clothes for me, he ended up buying an electric blanket to keep me warm during the night. It was the start of the fall season when I arrived in the United States. I was always wearing pyjamas, sweaters and slipper socks during the day. Some days were rainy, some days were stormy and some days were foggy. The tulley fogs sometimes can get worse specially when you are driving on the road on a foggy night. Don't like Winter much. But Fall is okay. How about you?

Hi sonomacountygal,

If you have a centralized heating then turn it on instead of wearing lots of clothes. In your place is not very cold unlike other places here in the US. I'm in Texas and winter season is always cold. We had snow a lot in the past winter (it's my 4th winter) since I got here. The wind made the winter season worse... it's so cold when the wind is blowing specially if the wind is blowing from the North. We just had our first freeze last Wed. Anyway, I'm very comfortable at home just wearing shorts and t-shirts even if it's really cold and the snow is very thick outside :blush: . In Panhandle Texas the weather is unpredectable the wind is almost constantly blowing everyday/everynight. My hubby used to tease me to put rocks on my pockets. I had experienced of 8 years of the winter and 4 years of winter with lots of snow. And I love to play with the snow. :dance::dance::dance:

I love fall it's my favorite season of the year! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Keep warm and hoping you'll get use to the winter season....

Take care always!

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

yup i know winter sucks not only because it is so cold but it is very hard to drive specially if there is ice...i almost had a car accident before. i spent 2 winter and never enjoyed it at all. yes first time to see snow falling was exciting but the next morning when all the snow is on the road even if it was only 3 inches i hated it.

you need to turn on your heater at home so that you will be comfortable and not wearing those heavy thick clothes inside the house.

its the time to cuddle up with your loved ones. hahaha

K1 Timeline

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-09-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-03

Touched : 2008-10-08

NOA2 : 2009-02-17

NVC: 2009-02-19

Left NVC: 2009-02-20

USEM: 2009-02-24

Medical: March 5-6, 2009

Visa Interview: March 11, 2009

Visa Delivered: March 14, 2009

St. Mary's Katipunan QC: March 16, 2009 got my CFO sticker

Flight: April 14, 2009

Marriage: April 16, 2009

AOS

May 18, 2009 - sent AOS

June 16, 2009 - Biometrics

June 17, 2009 - case transfered to CA

Sept. 23, 2009 - Green card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am still in the PI, so I can't say anything about the weather there in the U.S. However, per assurances from my fiance, I will like the all year round weather in Southern California where he is.

He says that fall in Southern California is eventful because of the wild fires that are fueled by the ferocious Santa Ana winds. Winter is fine, he continues, sometimes it goes down to the low 30s F at dawn but it is bearable. And if we want to frolic in the snow, we can always drive to the San Bernardino Mountains which are just a short climb from his house in Riverside County. By late winter and early spring, the peach and pear and apple trees and roses and bougainvillas in his backyard start to bloom and we can enjoy the majestic blossoms and sweet aroma along with the birds and the butterflies.

I'm looking forward to enjoy the climate in Southern California as my fiance has promised me that everyday would be a day in paradise. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

It is almost 2 years for me here... and it is getting cold now (40's at nights and early morning)... but no problem in our house since we have a centralized heater and I just turn it on and if it gets too cold for me, I use an electric blanket. I wear a sweater when I go outside and also at work.

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

well this is my wifes first year when it was warming up ( 50 for a high ) it was so cold for her well season has cycled and is getting cold again burr so cold she says but can wait to see it snow. i tell her that with the snow it get alot colder in wisconsin here we do see days with negetive temperatures. i have seen days where 0 feels warm hehehehehe seen temp as low as minus 60 degrees. well with her being preggy it helps her be warmer till baby comes in jan. the coldest month. there are only2 other us states that get as cold or colder then wisconsin and thats minnesota and north dakota. so if you want to see real cold come visit us in january the cold is good for you its like a nice spa treatment keeps you looking younger.

Hi sonomacountygal,

If you have a centralized heating then turn it on instead of wearing lots of clothes. In your place is not very cold unlike other places here in the US. I'm in Texas and winter season is always cold. We had snow a lot in the past winter (it's my 4th winter) since I got here. The wind made the winter season worse... it's so cold when the wind is blowing specially if the wind is blowing from the North. We just had our first freeze last Wed. Anyway, I'm very comfortable at home just wearing shorts and t-shirts even if it's really cold and the snow is very thick outside :blush: . In Panhandle Texas the weather is unpredectable the wind is almost constantly blowing everyday/everynight. My hubby used to tease me to put rocks on my pockets. I had experienced of 8 years of the winter and 4 years of winter with lots of snow. And I love to play with the snow. :dance::dance::dance:

I love fall it's my favorite season of the year! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Keep warm and hoping you'll get use to the winter season....

Take care always!

Thanks guys for the nice replies. We still have to turn on our thermostat when it gets colder. Right now, we're just contented to seat near the wood stove. Yeah, it would be nice to cuddle with your loved one when it's cold. brrr!!!

Hokey Smoke!

I love the sunshine in Florida all year long. :thumbs:

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

I have been here for 18 months. We live in Northern California. I'm one of those people who can't tolerate cold. When ever we go out and its really cold my back hurts so much because I tried to fight back the coldness..it drained all my strenght :D

Can't enjoy the beach either because even summer I still find it cold :( I still like PI weather..nothing beats the tropical weather we have back home.

29960_396648778323_615343323_4014936_8258670_n.jpg

Q3b5m7.png

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! You cant kick me out now Baby!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

TIMELINE-I-751-Oct 11, 2009 GC Expiration

July 8, 2009- Sent 1-751 in to CSC

July 15, 2009- CSC sent back my papers saying its too early for 90 days expiration

July 16, 2009- Resend my papers 85 days before GC expired

July 18, 2009- Arrived at CSC-10:53 am

July 22, 2009- Cashed Check

July 27, 2009- NOA 1 recieved

July 31, 2009- Biometric Notice Recieved

Aug 18, 2009- Biometric Schedule

Sep 03, 2009- Card Production ordered

Sep 09, 2009-Approval letter recieved in the mail

Sep 12, 2009- 10 Year GC recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i've never become used to cold weather. cold.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I have been here for 18 months. We live in Northern California. I'm one of those people who can't tolerate cold. When ever we go out and its really cold my back hurts so much because I tried to fight back the coldness..it drained all my strenght :D

Can't enjoy the beach either because even summer I still find it cold :( I still like PI weather..nothing beats the tropical weather we have back home.

Yeah, nothing beats the weather in the Philippines. As Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) supposedly said once, " The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Crazy, huh? I guess I just miss the Philippines maybe. Some things only. I don't miss the "lamok" :help: But I love the beach. We live in the coast (Bodega Bay and Dillon beach are close by). My husband would take me with him whenever he gets to work in these places on my days off. Love the scenery. It's only cold when the wind blows and in the morning. I love looking at those campers there.

Where do you guys, Andrew and Evelyn live in Northern California? We have a pretty active Filipino community here.

Hokey Smoke!

As to what my husband told me, Louisiana is a lot more like Manila.

I never experience snow in my life so that's what I am looking forward to see and experience. :innocent:

I can fight low temperature but I have to have a thick clothing. When we're good to go and settle in one state

we wouldn't wanted to stay in LA since both of us doesn't want to have hot weather all day. Hmm, We always have Colorado in mind. :wub:

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Yeah, nothing beats the weather in the Philippines. As Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) supposedly said once, " The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Crazy, huh? I guess I just miss the Philippines maybe. Some things only. I don't miss the "lamok" :help: But I love the beach. We live in the coast (Bodega Bay and Dillon beach are close by). My husband would take me with him whenever he gets to work in these places on my days off. Love the scenery. It's only cold when the wind blows and in the morning. I love looking at those campers there.

Where do you guys, Andrew and Evelyn live in Northern California? We have a pretty active Filipino community here.

We are here in Sacramento. Yeah nothing really beats our tropical weather. Look at the difference of my husband pictures. One is taken in PI( Manila Bay) looks how relax he is. And the other one is taken here..he crunches so much because of coldness hehehhe. So I guess PI weather is the best...(at least for me)

Evelyn

29960_396648778323_615343323_4014936_8258670_n.jpg

Q3b5m7.png

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! You cant kick me out now Baby!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

TIMELINE-I-751-Oct 11, 2009 GC Expiration

July 8, 2009- Sent 1-751 in to CSC

July 15, 2009- CSC sent back my papers saying its too early for 90 days expiration

July 16, 2009- Resend my papers 85 days before GC expired

July 18, 2009- Arrived at CSC-10:53 am

July 22, 2009- Cashed Check

July 27, 2009- NOA 1 recieved

July 31, 2009- Biometric Notice Recieved

Aug 18, 2009- Biometric Schedule

Sep 03, 2009- Card Production ordered

Sep 09, 2009-Approval letter recieved in the mail

Sep 12, 2009- 10 Year GC recieved

Feeling colder and colder and colder here in Washington State. Unlike my children, who have been adjusting well to the environment already. Sign of old age I guess? :P

N-400

March 21, 2014 - Application sent thru Expressmail

March 25, 2014 - Received/Priority Date

March 26, 2014 - Check cashed

March 27, 2014 - Notice Date

April 2, 2014 - Notice for Biometrics Appointment thru email

Aprill 22, 2014 - Biometrics

April 24, 2014 - In line for interview

August 25, 2014-Scheduled for Interview

September 30, 2014 - Interview and Oath-Taking :joy:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.