WonTanNara

VT W. African Dance and Drum Festival

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Drummers on the beach in Sierra Leone.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
Where is your teacher from? If you can find a teacher from Mali, Malian dance is a lot less jumpy and more grounded than Guinean or Senegalese. The jumping really is tough and it's taken my feet years to develop good callouses. I always have to soak my feet after class but it's so worth it!

Here is a link to our group!

WOW! I loved that video and it's making me want to take classes now. It looks like you get so much excersize and it also seems to be a lot of fun. Does it actually contribute to weight loss, too? I'm going to see if they have any in the Houston area.

That was OUTSTANDING!

Vermont is rockin'

I especially enjoyed seeing all the different races/cultures of people all together, dancing, enjoying, and really getting into the meaning of the dances.

Why can't the WORLD be this way? Can you imagine a world where everyone celebrated each others cultures so openly and freely? I have faith and hope that we will oneday see that day.

It also looks like a workout that burns thousands of calories. I would love to join a class around here now. But I don't know if my old bones could do some of those moves. This seems more strenuous than my Tae Bo, Step Aerobics and Walk Aerobics by far!

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed the video WanTaNara.....which lady were you? :)

Yup, the different cultures and races was a beautiful thing to see in that video. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

Okay, here is what I found for Houston.

WEST AFRICAN

DANCE & DRUM

CLASSES

by Master Instructor

Mohamed Diaby

WonLande West African Dance & Drum Company

Houston, Texas

713.401.7565 - PH

281.403.7708 - FX

wonlande@yahoo.com

http://www.myspace.com/wonlande

Mohamed Diaby, of Guinea, began playing the djembe at age seven, under the supervision of his elder brother Moustapha. By fifteen, he was asked to join a group sponsored by the wife of Guinea's infamous President Sekou Toure. Encouraged to continue by world famous djembefola Mamady Keita, Mohamed joined Africa Djole, led by Fode Yulla. Mohamed later joined Les Merveilles de Guinea as lead drummer, touring all over West Africa, including Sierra Leone where he stayed for five years. While still away from home, Kemoko Sano, Artistic Director of the world famous troupe Les Ballet Africains, had approached Mohamed's father saying when your son returns, I want him to join my group, because I love his drumming. In April of 1995 Mohamed arrived in America to play at New York City's Symphony Space and within a few years he was in Atlanta directing Africa Sogaye, a Guinea style Dance and Drum Troupe as well as organizing Atlanta's annual WAH WAH Drum and Dance Conference. He currently travels throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe teaching drum and dancing and promoting the music and culture of Guinea.

Edited by LovinLiberia

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm :angry: , the only thing we have in my area is the saaalsah! :wacko: and arthur murrays! :cry:

okay, I'm done :ot2:

(F)

Time to move on out of there !

Sounds great LL.............now go shake your booty !

ooh noess, I likey da sub-urban area :star:

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm :angry: , the only thing we have in my area is the saaalsah! :wacko: and arthur murrays! :cry:

okay, I'm done :ot2:

(F)

:lol::lol:

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline
Mohamed Diaby, of Guinea, began playing the djembe at age seven, under the supervision of his elder brother Moustapha. By fifteen, he was asked to join a group sponsored by the wife of Guinea's infamous President Sekou Toure. Encouraged to continue by world famous djembefola Mamady Keita, Mohamed joined Africa Djole, led by Fode Yulla. Mohamed later joined Les Merveilles de Guinea as lead drummer, touring all over West Africa, including Sierra Leone where he stayed for five years. While still away from home, Kemoko Sano, Artistic Director of the world famous troupe Les Ballet Africains, had approached Mohamed's father saying when your son returns, I want him to join my group, because I love his drumming. In April of 1995 Mohamed arrived in America to play at New York City's Symphony Space and within a few years he was in Atlanta directing Africa Sogaye, a Guinea style Dance and Drum Troupe as well as organizing Atlanta's annual WAH WAH Drum and Dance Conference. He currently travels throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe teaching drum and dancing and promoting the music and culture of Guinea.

Yes! You should definately go take classes with Mohamed and come to our conference next year in VT! My dance teacher used to dance in Africa Djole too. This type of dancing absolutely can get you into the best shape of your life but it takes a while before you can dance full-on. The rhythms and movements are very different from Western rhythms, but if you stick with it and don't get frustrated, pretty soon you'll be havin' the time of your life.

I would not have met my fiance if it were not for my dance community here, and now that we're stuck in AP, it's my community that is keeping me going.

I can't help it, I have to move when I hear a drum!

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for this I found a place that is not far from here at all! I never knew. :) I did the search by state link you had. Some friends of mine wanted to take some dance classes. Maybe I can talk them in to learning African dances & going with me.. lol The classes are only $8.00 and one time fee of $5.00.. Thanks again!! I did look at the event held in VT looks like they have a lot of fun and I love that it brings African dance/culture to others who don't know much about it or who may never have a chance to visit such a beautiful place! :thumbs:

Timeline

I'm so sad today. When we were put on AP back in April I could not imagine that my fiance would not be here for this conference. Now, it's here and he's not. Next week there will be over a dozen W. African artists here in Burlington, VT but the one I really want to be here is stuck in Senegal waiting. Six months of AP in the grand scheme of life is a relatively short period of time, but it feels damn long right now! Waah! :crying:

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
I'm so sad today. When we were put on AP back in April I could not imagine that my fiance would not be here for this conference. Now, it's here and he's not. Next week there will be over a dozen W. African artists here in Burlington, VT but the one I really want to be here is stuck in Senegal waiting. Six months of AP in the grand scheme of life is a relatively short period of time, but it feels damn long right now! Waah! :crying:

(F)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm so sorry WanTaNara, I pray that things speed up for you soon. My heart breaks for you.

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs to you.

(L)

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow :D I couldn't watch all the videos cause I am at work but I am in awe of what I have seen. Absolutely beautiful! I was touched to see all the races/ethnicities come together and celebrate culture. Very touching.

Just for curiosity sake I checked to see if we have anything in our area - fully expecting not to find a thing but to my surprise there is a class in the town where I work. How cool is that. Maybe I will have to check it out.

WanTanNara I hope that the process is over for you soon. You sure have been waiting a while :(

Thanks for sharing. The dances and drums are a wonderful expression of the African culture :D

Edited by Yardiewife

Timeline
I'm so sorry WanTaNara, I pray that things speed up for you soon. My heart breaks for you.

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs to you.

(L)

Thanks Stevi, I appreciate the hugs very much. At the very least I will see ma koumi (my honey) in another six weeks. I can't wait to smooch him like a crazy woman.

Timeline
Wow :D I couldn't watch all the videos cause I am at work but I am in awe of what I have seen. Absolutely beautiful! I was touched to see all the races/ethnicities come together and celebrate culture. Very touching.

Just for curiosity sake I checked to see if we have anything in our area - fully expecting not to find a thing but to my surprise there is a class in the town where I work. How cool is that. Maybe I will have to check it out.

WanTanNara I hope that the process is over for you soon. You sure have been waiting a while :(

Thanks for sharing. The dances and drums are a wonderful expression of the African culture :D

I'm happy to share Yardie. I would be a lifeless lump without my Guinean community here. I hope this AP is over soon, too. I know there are others that have been waiting a lot longer than me but it's still a challenge to get thru each day. :( One foot in front of the other...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.