nunyab

Mena house decorating in the U.S??

223 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I look around my house it's small and really has no "style" so i was checking out Ikea and i saw something somewhere someone was doing orange and bown.

I love blue but love the idea of popping some orange you know the fall color??? I am thinking of switching the wood items to black though and tie it all together with a colorful rug with blue and orange... is that too crazy??? i am no where near the level of interior desinger but i wanted something MENA like and American together.

All any and every suggestion is appreciated... fyi i also got those decorative pillow covers from Marakesh with reds/blues and oranges in it...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29847913

I also live in a rented appartment so my walls are that eggshell white.....

I have no idea when or if you are SO is with you but why don't you ask him to bring you some accessories? Cheaper then in the US and much more nicer.

Your room looks great, real transformation ... I love the bold colours (orange esp) ... but sorry if this offends you but that's not my intention ... it could use a bit more Moroccan accesories ... to make it more authentic! But I love the rug ... very chic!

If you like, I could send you some smaller accesories to bring it all together ... do you like those decorative tajines ... they have them in orange amoung other colours. :thumbs: Or maybe a Moorish lattice door/seperator ... maybe add some stripes to go with the bold colours ... or Moroccan style Henna lamp ... or add texture with geometric shapes and designs.

images2_23.jpg
images955_05.jpg
images955_10.jpg
images2_04.jpghookah.jpg Hookah if your into that.

Maybe even try adding some pouffes ... they are very chic and useful!

10-30-042-1s.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I look around my house it's small and really has no "style" so i was checking out Ikea and i saw something somewhere someone was doing orange and bown.

I love blue but love the idea of popping some orange you know the fall color??? I am thinking of switching the wood items to black though and tie it all together with a colorful rug with blue and orange... is that too crazy??? i am no where near the level of interior desinger but i wanted something MENA like and American together.

All any and every suggestion is appreciated... fyi i also got those decorative pillow covers from Marakesh with reds/blues and oranges in it...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29847913

I also live in a rented appartment so my walls are that eggshell white.....

I have no idea when or if you are SO is with you but why don't you ask him to bring you some accessories? Cheaper then in the US and much more nicer.

Your room looks great, real transformation ... I love the bold colours (orange esp) ... but sorry if this offends you but that's not my intention ... it could use a bit more Moroccan accesories ... to make it more authentic! But I love the rug ... very chic!

If you like, I could send you some smaller accesories to bring it all together ... do you like those decorative tajines ... they have them in orange amoung other colours. :thumbs: Or maybe a Moorish lattice door/seperator ... maybe add some stripes to go with the bold colours ... or Moroccan style Henna lamp ... or add texture with geometric shapes and designs.

images2_23.jpg
images955_05.jpg
images955_10.jpg
images2_04.jpghookah.jpg Hookah if your into that.

Maybe even try adding some pouffes ... they are very chic and useful!

10-30-042-1s.jpg

not offended at all... i still need to do some adding this is just the beginning lol.... i have a fabric for the curtain in a orangy brown i am going to do and an orange chair..yes more morocann is needed and pics.. i am wanting some paintings of women in hijab i think lol....and Yessss i need Poofs!!!

i have some really cool pouffes, that i love, but the smell from the tanning method used for the leather kills me. it's just icky, so i can't use them. it's not like you can spray them down with febreze or something...i don't know what to do with them. it makes me sad not to use them though, because the artwork on some of them is so lovely.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just a tip I ran across today...I have a pouffe that I used to have stuffed with polyester fiberfill, but it was too soft for an adult to sit on. I read a suggestion to stuff them with a lot of plastic grocery bags instead to make them firmer. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds reasonable.

I wonder how complicated it would be to sew a pouffe from canvas or upholstery fabric and whether it would hold up to everyday use. It would be an easy way to match colors.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
Just a tip I ran across today...I have a pouffe that I used to have stuffed with polyester fiberfill, but it was too soft for an adult to sit on. I read a suggestion to stuff them with a lot of plastic grocery bags instead to make them firmer. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds reasonable.

I wonder how complicated it would be to sew a pouffe from canvas or upholstery fabric and whether it would hold up to everyday use. It would be an easy way to match colors.

lol go for it and let me know lol... not nearly that creative i am afraid :star:

Timeline

lol go for it and let me know lol... not nearly that creative i am afraid :star:

I've got a million ideas -- my problem is following through on them! :lol:

I'm the USC.

Timeline

Me too.... but i find i am also a planner when it comes to decorating.. i've got to think about it and research and find options and make sure that's what i want to do... so it does take me some time to come to a decision especially about colors.

Filed: Timeline

What about decorating for the holidays? Halloween, Thanksgiving (fall decorations), Christmas, New Years (boy I'm jumping the gun) :P

Are you guys ready? Do you typically decorate? My hubby is an X-Mas baby...thus he wants us to decorate the house for his birthday...LMAO :devil: Plus he's excited to see what it will be like here in the US at the holidays (nothing like NYC) but completely awesome how people go all out w/ lights and southwestern decorations. He's also said we should put up a tree for my father. I thought that was very sweet. (F)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Last year we remodeled the master bedroom and bath. It was not planned at all, but the end results in the Bedroom is sort of Moroccan. The lights we already had in the house was a huge factor in this. The only regret that I have is that I would have like the room a little darker, but it still looks great.

post-14812-1225214918_thumb.jpg

Edited by morocco4ever

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline
Last year we remodeled the master bedroom and bath. It was not planned at all, but the end results in the Bedroom is sort of Moroccan. The lights we already had in the house was a huge factor in this. The only regret that I have is that I would have like the room a little darker, but it still looks great.

wow awesome headboard!! and is that curtains behind it??

JJ better get a move on girl

decorating for the holidays??? I am already going fall colors but i will do something for the kids... like your theme too

Timeline
if I wasn't so lazy to clean my room I would put pics up of my design... someday. :)

come on girly good incentive to clean so you can show it off :star:

Okay fine. I'll do it! I can clean in between testing the cake for this weekend's party. :whistle:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline
What about decorating for the holidays? Halloween, Thanksgiving (fall decorations), Christmas, New Years (boy I'm jumping the gun) :P

Are you guys ready? Do you typically decorate? My hubby is an X-Mas baby...thus he wants us to decorate the house for his birthday...LMAO :devil: Plus he's excited to see what it will be like here in the US at the holidays (nothing like NYC) but completely awesome how people go all out w/ lights and southwestern decorations. He's also said we should put up a tree for my father. I thought that was very sweet. (F)

Last year, my husband's first Halloween here, I came home to find that he had done some Googling, carved a jack-o-lantern on his own, and stuffed it with a string of Christmas lights. They were both "sitting" there grinning at me when I walked in. :luv:

Oh, I love it!

I'm the USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.