BostonChick

Do the 2 yrs spent as CONDITIONAL Permanent Resident count when applying for citizenship?

7 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

It's been a while since I last dealt with USCIS (thankfully!). We got married in 2004, I obtained my conditional green card in 2005 and am due to apply for removal of conditions at the end of this year.

I just read in this forum that USC spouses can apply for naturalization after having spent only 3 (as opposed to 5) years as permanent residents. So this got me thinking - do the 2 years in conditional residence count in this period? Because if they don't, that would equate the total time in waiting to become eligible for naturalization to 5 years for some couples.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

BostonChick

:lol:

Adjustment of Status (AOS)

Office: MSC

District: Boston, MA

June 2004: Got married!

Aug 2004: Dropped off AOS/EAD/AP package

Nov 2004: Received AP and EAD

March 30, 2005: AOS INTERVIEW

Conditional Permanent Resident since 3/30/05

Removal of Conditions

Vermont Service Center

Dec 30, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

Jan 12, 2006: Sent I-751 package Priority Certified Mail to Vermont Service Center

Jan 16, 2007: I-751 package arrives in Vermont

Jan 19, 2007: $275 check cashed

Feb 20, 2007: Biometrics appointment '

Jul 11, 2007: Permanent residence approved!

THE COUNTDOWN FOR US CITIZENSHIP HAS BEGUN!

Service Center: VERMONT (VSC)

Local Office: Boston

Jan 3, 2008: Window for filing N-400 opens

Jan - May: Document collection

May 6, 2008: Mailed N-400 Application package, regular mail with delivery confirmation

May 8, 2008: Your item was delivered at 1:55 PM on May 8, 2008 in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479

May 16, 2008: $300 Check cashed

May 21, 2008: NOA1 date (received on May 28 in the mail)

May 23, 2008: NOA2 date (fingerprinting)

June 6, 2008: Biometrics appt in Boston

July 3, 2008: Interview letter received

Aug 27, 2008: INTERVIEW APPT!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait!!!

www.newcitizen.us/dual.html

Filed: Timeline

BostonChick,

A Permanent Resident with conditions is nevertheless a Permanent Resident.

Sometimes it's the application for citizenship that gets the application to remove conditions approved since the former requires the latter.

Yodrak

Hello everybody,

It's been a while since I last dealt with USCIS (thankfully!). We got married in 2004, I obtained my conditional green card in 2005 and am due to apply for removal of conditions at the end of this year.

I just read in this forum that USC spouses can apply for naturalization after having spent only 3 (as opposed to 5) years as permanent residents. So this got me thinking - do the 2 years in conditional residence count in this period? Because if they don't, that would equate the total time in waiting to become eligible for naturalization to 5 years for some couples.

BostonChick

Filed: Timeline
Hello everybody,

BostonChick

Yes, the conditional residency counts. And as long as married to a US citizen for 3 years and alien meets the other presence tests.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I am curious as to why you posted the exact same question that you posted last night, when that question had been answered and you were directed to the relevant FAQ.

2 minutes after I posted the link to her...

Curious.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

BostonChick,

A Permanent Resident with conditions is nevertheless a Permanent Resident.

Sometimes it's the application for citizenship that gets the application to remove conditions approved since the former requires the latter.

Yodrak

Hello everybody,

BostonChick

[/quo

I am curious as to why you posted the exact same question that you posted last night, when that question had been answered and you were directed to the relevant FAQ.

Nit Picking

Edited by blue eyes

Greg (USA)and Yai (Thailand)

02/10/04...Sent I-129F to Texas

05/10/04...TSC received I-129F

21/10/04...Receive NOA-1 from CSC.

09/11/04...By e-mail I-129F APPROVED and NOA-2mailed 08/Nov./04

12/11/04...Received NOA-2 from CSC.NVC received I-129F APPROVAL from USCIC

16/11/04...Receive e-mail from NVC,entering approved petetion into the system and assigned a case #

20/11/04...Receive letter from NVC they have I-129F and assiagned a BNK case #

29/11/04...Turn in DS-230part 1 and check list to US Consulate Thailand.They also asked for 2 photos of Yai at this time.Did not recieve interview date at this time due to person assigning dates left for the day.Will recieve date in the mail,took 1 hour

07/12/04...Yai recieves letter with instrutions about interview from US Consulate with invterview date

24/02/05...Pay Visa fee in Bangkok at Post office

01/03/05...Yai has visa interview

02/03/05...We pick up Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/06/05...Welcome to the U.S.A.

04/15/06...Offical marriage in U.S.A.(Tax Day) ;) ;)

Everything we have done was without the help of an attorney.We have not had any problems thus far and will not,I believe.

Lovekindness will enable this life and many more to most enjoyable. .^_^.

I obtained permanent residency right away so I know nothing about conditional residency. However, the date which will appear on your permanent Greencard, valid for 10 years, is the "official" date that "counts" towards citizenship.

Here is what I found in USCIS we site:

"5. When does my time as a Permanent Resident begin?

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as Alien Registration Card). Click here to view a sample card"

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.