ruby_mtl

K1 and children

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello VJ,

I was just wondering if some of you "aliens" (hate that term with a passion!! LOL) have children with your US citizen partner AND applying for K1?

This is our situation: we have 2 daughters that are in Canada with me. Just wondering how it went? How many of you had to go through DNA testing?

Also, I was under the impression that my fiancé could apply for them before we move to the States, but according to the USCIS website, they have to enter the States as immigrants 1st...If this is so...that means that I would enter the US as K1 and our daughters as K2s; then they could get their citizenship certificate while I apply for AOS....Man I hope that the citizenship thing is free! LOL :rofl:

Any thoughs? Or care to share experiences?

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello VJ,

I was just wondering if some of you "aliens" (hate that term with a passion!! LOL) have children with your US citizen partner AND applying for K1?

This is our situation: we have 2 daughters that are in Canada with me. Just wondering how it went? How many of you had to go through DNA testing?

Also, I was under the impression that my fiancé could apply for them before we move to the States, but according to the USCIS website, they have to enter the States as immigrants 1st...If this is so...that means that I would enter the US as K1 and our daughters as K2s; then they could get their citizenship certificate while I apply for AOS....Man I hope that the citizenship thing is free! LOL :rofl:

Your daughters are already citizens. He can report birth abroad

Timeline
Hello VJ,

Really? so they don't have to reside in the US? That's not how I understood the info on the website, but that's great news!

Here's what I read:

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?

Under the CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

At least one parent is a U.S. citizen,

The child is under 18 years of age, and

The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant.

Edited by ruby_mtl

129F

AOS, EAD, AP

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello VJ,

Really? so they don't have to reside in the US? That's not how I understood the info on the website, but that's great news!

He's what I read:

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?

Under the CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

At least one parent is a U.S. citizen,

The child is under 18 years of age, and

The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant.

I have not had to report a birth abroad, but you're able to do it. By reading that, looks like they would get citizenship as well

http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/.../birth_593.html

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.asp

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Investigate fully your children's claim to citizenship.... CRBA and US Passport can be issued at a foreign post upon approval

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks for your info I'll keep looking into it. But I'm sure it should go pretty smoothly for the girls.

129F

AOS, EAD, AP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.