rebecchina

Postponing interview due to death in family

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi,

We just found out that my husband's father died and he is considering traveling back to Cuba to be with his family for a few weeks. I understand that it's possible to postpone the AOS interview in these cases, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience and whether it holds up the process significantly. Unfortunately this all happened less than a week before our scheduled interview, which is this Thursday. I can't talk to a live person at USCIS until Monday, so I just wanted to get some advice.

Luckily he already received his AP document and can travel outside the country and get back in. Does anyone know if there is other documentation required?

Thanks

Hi,

We just found out that my husband's father died and he is considering traveling back to Cuba to be with his family for a few weeks. I understand that it's possible to postpone the AOS interview in these cases, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience and whether it holds up the process significantly. Unfortunately this all happened less than a week before our scheduled interview, which is this Thursday. I can't talk to a live person at USCIS until Monday, so I just wanted to get some advice.

Luckily he already received his AP document and can travel outside the country and get back in. Does anyone know if there is other documentation required?

Thanks

If its at all possible - make the interview (since it's so close).

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry for your loss,

Wait until Friday to go. If you are approved at the interview on Thursday, ask for the I-551 stamp in your passport, make sure you take some evidence of your need to travel, to the interview.

Edited by TayRivers

I'm so sorry for your loss.

To be honest, it is a tricky situation but if I was you I would go for the interview and explain the situation to the immigration officer who can just stamp the passport with the I-511 (if you guys get approved). That way he'll be free to go instead of re-scheduling the interview adding more time to your AOS process and go through the hassle of using the AP. Just my two cents!

Wishing you all the luck!

Timeline:

12-16-07 Arrival in the US from Good Ol' Blighty

02-13-08 Got married in Los Angeles

02-22-08 Civil Surgeon Appointment

Adjustment of Status

02-29-08 Sent I-130, AOS, EAD, AP (Via FedEx) to Chicago

03-03-08 Package arrived in Chicago

03-07-08 All Cheques cashed!!

03-10-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 received

03-16-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 touched

03-27-08 Biometrics Appointment at 2pm (Notice date: 03.11.08)

04-30-08 Received EAD "card production ordered" & AP Approval notices from CRIS (YESSSS!!!!!)

05-06-08 I-765 touched and AP received in the mail!

05-08-08 Received I-765 "approval notice sent" e-mail from CRIS

05-09-08 EAD received in the mail (YIIPPEEYY!!!)

08-22-08 Notice of Action for initial interview received (10-08-08)

10-08-08 AOS Interview in Los Angeles: APPROVED!!!!

10-09-08 I-485 touched! (Card Production Ordered)

10-15-08 NOAs for I-130 (approval notice) and I-485 (welcome letter) received

10-22-08 Green Card finally arrived!!!

Removing of Conditions

07-14-10 Sent I-751 (Via USPS next day delivery) to California Service Center

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

07-30-10 Received NOA 2 (Biometrics appointment on 08-11-10)

08-31-10 NOA for Removal of Conditions approved

09-02-10 Approval letter received

09-03-10 Green Card arrived!!!

ePcwm7.png

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Thanks to you all for your advice - I think it definitely makes sense for us to go to the interview instead of trying to reschedule so late and risk getting sent a denial for failure to show up.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

To be honest, it is a tricky situation but if I was you I would go for the interview and explain the situation to the immigration officer who can just stamp the passport with the I-511 (if you guys get approved). That way he'll be free to go instead of re-scheduling the interview adding more time to your AOS process and go through the hassle of using the AP. Just my two cents!

Wishing you all the luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.