SkipSherv

Do Not Open Brown Envelope! Consulate in Rio

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The famous DO NOT OPEN UNTIL ARRIVAL IN USA brown immigration envelope that comes to you with your passports and US Visa after your interview. This is the way the US Consulate in Rio packaged it with rubber bands causing the envelope to rip and making the contents invalid. If it is so important to keep this envelope sealed then why don't they use better envelopes or package them with care before to send it in the mail? My wife had to fly back to Rio just to have them repackage the contents so she could make her scheduled flight to USA. No compensation from US Consul in Rio just an apology and what is there to do with an apology? See the ripped envelope here: http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/display....php?pos=-16199 - I suggest staying in Rio and waiting for your passport and this envelope just to make sure it is sealed. My wife decided to go back to Sao Paulo and pay TNT to deliver the items becasue Monday is a holiday and it would be much cheaper to wait at home than in a hotel in Rio fro as much as 5 days. Well thanks to the US Consulate's mistake, another airfare ticket to Rio just blew that savings! Well, at least she got an apology...right?

CR1 - Maristela (Wife)

California Service Center (CSC)

Day 0 - May 22, 2007 - Married

Day 0 - July 28, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Day 21- August 18, 2007 - NOA1 (took 21 Days)

Day 168- January 12, 2008 - NOA2 (took 147 Days)

National Visa Center (NVC)

Day 206- February 19, 2008 - Received I-864 Fee Bill / DS 3032 (took 38 Days)

Day 206- February 20, 2008 - Sent I-864 Fee Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 220- March 4, 2008 - Received I-864 Packet (took 14 Days)

Day 221- March 5, 2008 - Sent I-864 Packet Express Mail (took 1 Day)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Received I.V. Fee Bill (took 17 Days)

Day 237- March 21, 2008 - Sent I.V. Fee Bill Express Mail (took 0 Days)

Day 267- April 21, 2008 - Received DS-230 Instructions (took 30 Days)

(May - July was spent trying to gather and REPLACE original police clearance letters from Germany, Italy, & Brazil. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate, and all the translations after the US POST Office and/or US Customs Border Protection at JFK Airport LOST the package! ARRGH!)

August 27, 2008 - Case Completed at NVC

DAY 439! - October 8, 2008 - Interview in Rio - Visa Approved!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I am sorry to hear that. An apology is not enough knowing that the embassy states that the package should not be opened. I have never heard of putting a rubberband on the documents with other documents. This really sucks but what can you do. Hopefully she will make it to another flight without any problems. Good luck.

USCIS Journey

03/15/08 Sent I-130

03/17/08 I-130 received (USPS) (Priority Date)

06/28/08 Received NOA2 hardcopy: NO RFE FROM USCIS:101 days

NVC Journey

07/01/08 NVC case# assigned

08/14/08 CASE COMPLETE: NO RFE FROM NVC:44 days

09/15/08 Interview date assigned

Embassy Journey

10/01/08 Case at embassy

10/08/08 Document verification and got interviewed (Approved)

10/09/08 Pick up visa (original interview date)

10/18/08 P.O.E ~ Seattle

Removing Conditions

07/23/2010 Mail off I-751(USCIS received on 07/26 via usps)

07/26/2010 NOA1 date (notice received 8/2/2010)

07/28/2010 Check cashed

08/20/2010 Biometrics appt.(notice received 8/7/2010)

08/20,21,23 touched

10/22/2010 Approved NO RFE(2 months and 3 weeks from filing date)

Citizenship

10/7/11 N-400 Submitted

10/13/11 NOA date

10/20/11 appt letter sent for biometrics

11/9/11 Biometrics appt

11/11/11 Email of interview scheduling received

11/14/11 Interview scheduled and mail sent

11/21/11 Interview letter received

12/19/11 Interview date

12/19/11 passed interview and oath Finally a citizen(2 months 1 week and 5 days from sending N-400)

1heyejjs23.png

The famous DO NOT OPEN UNTIL ARRIVAL IN USA brown immigration envelope that comes to you with your passports and US Visa after your interview. This is the way the US Consulate in Rio packaged it with rubber bands causing the envelope to rip and making the contents invalid. If it is so important to keep this envelope sealed then why don't they use better envelopes or package them with care before to send it in the mail? My wife had to fly back to Rio just to have them repackage the contents so she could make her scheduled flight to USA. No compensation from US Consul in Rio just an apology and what is there to do with an apology? See the ripped envelope here: http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/display....php?pos=-16199 - I suggest staying in Rio and waiting for your passport and this envelope just to make sure it is sealed. My wife decided to go back to Sao Paulo and pay TNT to deliver the items becasue Monday is a holiday and it would be much cheaper to wait at home than in a hotel in Rio fro as much as 5 days. Well thanks to the US Consulate's mistake, another airfare ticket to Rio just blew that savings! Well, at least she got an apology...right?

Sorry to hear, what a pain. :wacko: It is so frustrating when these things happen and there is nothing you can do, but spend more money, time and energy. I agree with your advice on going to Rio to get the visa and documents. My wife and I did that and it worked out really well.

I hope this is the one and only foul-up on your visa process and that everything else goes off without a hitch!

Best of luck to you!

Our Story so far...

K-1

7/26/07- I-129F sent to CSC

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/12/08- Interview in Rio- APPROVED!

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

3/04/08- AOS, EAD and AP mailed

4/07/08- RFE

4/11/08- AOS, EAD and AP re-mailed

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

11/07/08- Greencard Approved!

11/22/08- Greencard Received

Gabriel was born on January 12, 2010!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello my fiancee just received "The Brown Envelope". Is the passport and visa inside? If it is how does she board the plane without showing her passport? It seems like a silly question, but we have come a long way to get to this point. Don't want to screw anything up now.

Thanks in advance

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.