PlatyPius

Dow at 8000 and falling....

96 posts in this topic

Yep. Although I think more of the pain now is short term. Once things turn around, then better for all involved.

You can think that if it makes you feel better... in reality, you should probably sell whatever

you have left to avoid further losses. It's not the bottom yet, far from it.

That is ridiculous advice and it is those who believe that type of rubbish who get hurt. The small time investor.

Fine, hold on to your depreciating assets, lose some more. :rolleyes:

What and increase the bottom out, better to buy in more and make the most of it.

Never done any trading, have you? Telling people to "hang in there" when you know they are

going to lose another 15-20% is the worst financial advice you can give them.

Sell now, buy back later when we hit the bottom.

Remember: markets always fall faster than they rise, because fear is a stronger emotion than greed.

You will *always* lose more money betting on the market going up than down.

Bull sh!t. "You will *always* lose more money betting on the market going up than down." back that up.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
If cash is king, I should stop all 401k contributions and stop prepaying my mortgage (why put more money into a depreciating asset?).

Cash is king if you have NO debt. Always better to pay off where the interest is higher than what you get at the bank.

Wow it would take 15 years to pay off the mortgage even with the prepay.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

8517 this b1tch is goin back up

does this mean the depression is over? :dance:

WHo said the Dow was a Woman???? :lol:

I reckon he is still depressed.

Edited by DairyFarmer

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Bull sh!t. "You will *always* lose more money betting on the market going up than down." back that up.

I can only back that up with historical data and personal experience.

Look how it long it takes for a market to recover after a crash:

dow_crash.png

Specifically, pay attention to the October 1987 crash. The Dow lost 50% in 2 months;

it took 2 years to get back to where it was before the crash.

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Well she keeps going down on me.

touche :I bow:

Edited by DairyFarmer

dow_crash.png

Specifically, pay attention to the October 1987 crash. The Dow lost 50% in 2 months;

That doesn't mean I quote you "you will always lose more money betting on the market going up than down" it just takes time.

Filed: Timeline

Well she keeps going down on me.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. :hehe:

:rofl:

it occurred to me that i could have made $6/share had i bought my company stock today at jsut the right time and sold at just the right time.

of course, i am not that skilled.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I haven't even looked at my old 401(k). Just started a SIMPLE IRA with this paycheck, and hubby has his own. We're going to try to act pretty normally, albeit frugally, without taking on debt, and let the savings do their thing since we expect to have many working years ahead. I'm not panicking...yet.

You should definitely look at your 401(k). You may not like what you're going to see,

but denial is worse.

That one was already all in a government securities fund -- I moved it a while ago when I was in a personal transition and never bothered to move it back. Only reason I'm thinking about looking at it now is to shift part of it to something with more potential for growth, but I'll wait a little longer to see if this roller coaster slows down a little. I really believe this is temporary, maybe a couple of very lean years, but it will get better. As I understand it, the number of shares in the 401(k)s aren't going away -- their value will drop, yes, but when the economy improves, those accounts will grow again. It won't be like starting over from scratch.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

dow_crash.png

That doesn't mean I quote you "you will always lose more money betting on the market going up than down" it just takes time.

Long-term - of course. I meant in the short-term when you're trying to call the bottom in a bear market.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg