ShallowShrek

need some questioned answered about oath

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
I guess I am lucky because after the interview at 9:30am, the officer told me to come back at 2:30 as I have to attend the oath..

Blessing for me as I have to go back to the Middle East on the next day.

Completely, how were you able to travel the day after your oath???? AS a US citizen, legally you had to leave the country using a US passport.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
I guess I am lucky because after the interview at 9:30am, the officer told me to come back at 2:30 as I have to attend the oath..

Completely, how were you able to travel the day after your oath???? AS a US citizen, legally you had to leave the country using a US passport.

Yes it is..When I applied for the passport overseas. The officer educate me about entering and leaving the US..

When I left the US, I showed my CAC card and my naturalization paperwork..No body in the immigration questioned me, they just asked me how did I enter the US, I told them I used my greencard, but since I am naturalized now, I have to returned back the card and have to leave US asap because of my job.

I did apply the passport in the local US embassy where I am located.

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: Timeline

Yes it is..When I applied for the passport overseas. The officer educate me about entering and leaving the US..

When I left the US, I showed my CAC card and my naturalization paperwork..No body in the immigration questioned me, they just asked me how did I enter the US, I told them I used my greencard, but since I am naturalized now, I have to returned back the card and have to leave US asap because of my job.

lets say i do oath and travel with an american passport do i have to go to the SS office and tell them im a citizen??? what if i leave without letting them??

Timeline

lets say i do oath and travel with an american passport do i have to go to the SS office and tell them im a citizen??? what if i leave without letting them??

Before you travel, you need to update your SSN status.. I am still asking question to other people about the consequences of not updating the citizenship in the SSN information.. Some say its not a big deal, i can update when I come back.. But do not do the same thing I did, my job needed me to come back so I was not able to do it.. But you, if you have time and chance to update information why not do it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Before you travel, you need to update your SSN status.. I am still asking question to other people about the consequences of not updating the citizenship in the SSN information.. Some say its not a big deal, i can update when I come back.. But do not do the same thing I did, my job needed me to come back so I was not able to do it.. But you, if you have time and chance to update information why not do it?

Only thing I am aware of is that as a LPR, you cannot receive SS disability benefits that I do not understand, because as a LPR you are still paying the same FICA rates as a USC. But even if you did not change your status with the SSA, and you can prove you are a USC, why couldn't you get those benefits? You certainly paid for them, then we have politicians saying you may not even get your benefits, but SSA is very quick to take out 14.8% of your gross wages that amounts to a lot of money if you are working part time going to college, if you only earn 400 bucks, they take out 60 bucks and there are no refunds on that, once it's gone, it's gone forever. That's why we have all those insurance guys scaring the hell out of you, what about your kids if you get killed? Who will take care of them. So there is more money out of your pocket. Then they try to claim you committed suicide so don't have to pay that.

when the decision is not made at your interview how long do they take or have taken to send you decision or perhaps oath by mail?

Hi ShallowShrek,

Just want to let you know that my wife had interview Oct 9th, 2008. IO has asked her lots of questions about us, families and about 13 text book questions. Also asked her what kind of documents you brought up with you. Thanks god, my wife had taken all documents (bills, utility,joint bank statement, our life insurance, etc.) with her. She only kept all latest 2008 paper. After the interview she told my wife OATH letter will receive with in 60 to 90 days. She also hand her a form which has 2 box checked a) passed test and B) written decision will be notified through the mail.

Right side of the bottom of the form has marked don't wait for the oath letter now.

david

12/13/2007 N-400 sent to VSC

12/14/2007 N-400 received by VSC

12/14/2007 Priority date

12/31/2007 Check cashed ($675)

01/07/2008 I-797 received (saying.. you should expect to be notified within 540 days)

01/09/2008 Received Bio Appnt. (Actiual Appont. 01/26/2008)

01/26/2008 Biometrics/fingerprints done

08/21/2008 Interview Letter received

10/09/2008 Actual Interview date (passed)

11/18/2008 received OATH letter

12/09/2008 actual oath date

when the decision is not made at your interview how long do they take or have taken to send you decision or perhaps oath by mail?

Hi ShallowShrek,

Just want to let you know that my wife had interview Oct 9th, 2008. IO has asked her lots of questions about us, families and about 13 text book questions. Also asked her what kind of documents you brought up with you. Thanks god, my wife had taken all documents (bills, utility,joint bank statement, our life insurance, etc.) with her. She only kept all latest 2008 paper. After the interview she told my wife OATH letter will receive with in 60 to 90 days. She also hand her a form which has 2 box checked a) passed test and B) written decision will be notified through the mail.

Right side of the bottom of the form has marked don't wait for the oath letter now.

david

thanks david that info was helpful :thumbs:

Timeline

Since the USCIS is expanding with new hires wonder if these interviewers are fresh out of kindergarten and have to review their interview with their supervisor before it's finally approved, that is causing the delays?

When my wife first came here, she got a job at patient assistance at the hospital with a ton of different forms to learn, but she sat in with an experience interviewer for several months, then took the pilot's seat so to speak while the experienced interviewer sat in the co-pilots seat until she felt my wife was competent. They have to do it this way, because the patients can't afford to wait around for months, they probably would be dead if they needed immediate medical attention. And not exactly a job you can learn in school, have to work with many different agencies and insurance companies, and yes, some patients would lie about their income to get free medical, each had to be checked out. Much like the USCIS.

Wife's USCIS interviewer was fairly new, couldn't answer basic questions, but tend to give false answers rather than say, I don't know, or will find out, and my wife's intuition from her previous job told her, her interviewer was lying. While she did receive a high award as an interviewer, went on to better things with much higher pay, always had a huge stack of paperwork on her desk, was always a mad rush with lot's of cross checking.

I guess we are unlucky if we get a new interviewer, but the USCIS could learn how private organizations handle things like this, but with all government agencies, a degree of arrogance is encountered. Had a new guy at SS giving me false information, asked him how long as he been working here, and requested to see his supervisor. He told me my wife had to be present to file her application if he just looked up on the wall to read a big fat sign that said she didn't. His supervisor corrected him, and he didn't appear to be the least embarrassed. Only in the government do you meet people like that.

Probably why they won't let spouses attend the citizenship interview.

Timeline

Only thing I am aware of is that as a LPR, you cannot receive SS disability benefits that I do not understand, because as a LPR you are still paying the same FICA rates as a USC. But even if you did not change your status with the SSA, and you can prove you are a USC, why couldn't you get those benefits? You certainly paid for them, then we have politicians saying you may not even get your benefits, but SSA is very quick to take out 14.8% of your gross wages that amounts to a lot of money if you are working part time going to college, if you only earn 400 bucks, they take out 60 bucks and there are no refunds on that, once it's gone, it's gone forever. That's why we have all those insurance guys scaring the hell out of you, what about your kids if you get killed? Who will take care of them. So there is more money out of your pocket. Then they try to claim you committed suicide so don't have to pay that.

I am not aware of this Nick, we are working overseas, company pays for our insurance, and the child is our dependant.

We dont pay taxes here only Social Security Tax. We may go to the US next year and update my status., after I gave birth..

Edited by Completely

I am not aware of this Nick, we are working overseas, company pays for our insurance, and the child is our dependant.

We dont pay taxes here only Social Security Tax. We may go to the US next year and update my status., after I gave birth..

congrats!

Timeline

All a question of proof, since I had my wife's SS-5 filled out from the last time on my computer, all I had to change was at line 3 Citizenship, form legal alien allowed to work to US Citizen, and line 14, Today's date, print it out and let her sign it. I waited until she got her US passport first, but could have jammed either that or her certificate of naturalization in an envelop and mailed it off taking the risk that she would either get her passport or certificate back.

Back 20 or so years ago, could go to the register of deeds and have a certified copy made, they don't do that anymore and it's like one government agency not only distrusts you, but they don't trust nor share information with other government agencies. Sending off the originals is a risk and from what I can gather, but cannot get straight answers on this, but the sender is the one taking that risk.

USCIS recommends you make copies of your certificate so in case it's lost, you send that copy in with a check for $380.00 plus two passport photos and a form, always a form, but why it takes a year for a one minute task is beyond me and do they really trust your copy? Or isn't all that stuff in your file or in a database someplace. And if in a database, why can't they use that? None of this makes sense.

Just got a brand new granddaughter, could see where my son and daughter-in-law were dead tired after that experience, said hold off on the birth certificate until you are rested. They fill out a form and can't believe the government trusts the doctor to sign it, shouldn't they send in the FBI?

Anyway, it's fun holding a baby again, both for my wife and me, the parents are nervous about it, it's their first one, we plan to spoil the heck out of her and have been, that is what grandparents are for, LOL.

All a question of proof, since I had my wife's SS-5 filled out from the last time on my computer, all I had to change was at line 3 Citizenship, form legal alien allowed to work to US Citizen, and line 14, Today's date, print it out and let her sign it. I waited until she got her US passport first, but could have jammed either that or her certificate of naturalization in an envelop and mailed it off taking the risk that she would either get her passport or certificate back.

Back 20 or so years ago, could go to the register of deeds and have a certified copy made, they don't do that anymore and it's like one government agency not only distrusts you, but they don't trust nor share information with other government agencies. Sending off the originals is a risk and from what I can gather, but cannot get straight answers on this, but the sender is the one taking that risk.

USCIS recommends you make copies of your certificate so in case it's lost, you send that copy in with a check for $380.00 plus two passport photos and a form, always a form, but why it takes a year for a one minute task is beyond me and do they really trust your copy? Or isn't all that stuff in your file or in a database someplace. And if in a database, why can't they use that? None of this makes sense.

Just got a brand new granddaughter, could see where my son and daughter-in-law were dead tired after that experience, said hold off on the birth certificate until you are rested. They fill out a form and can't believe the government trusts the doctor to sign it, shouldn't they send in the FBI?

Anyway, it's fun holding a baby again, both for my wife and me, the parents are nervous about it, it's their first one, we plan to spoil the heck out of her and have been, that is what grandparents are for, LOL.

nickD what are you saying how long will the wait?

Timeline

What date did you have your interview? How long have you been waiting? I certainly do not have a crystal ball that is tuned into the USCIS. In our case, wife's IO stated she should get her oath letter within two weeks, let five weeks go by with nothing, then started raising hell.

What date did you have your interview? How long have you been waiting? I certainly do not have a crystal ball that is tuned into the USCIS. In our case, wife's IO stated she should get her oath letter within two weeks, let five weeks go by with nothing, then started raising hell.

my interview was 4 weeks ago. what do you mean you raised hell after 5 weeks? they have a 120 wait i dont think theres room for hell before the 120 days. thats the thing they have they give you days in hundreds and make you wait inside them. why cant they just give days like 30 days or 60 days..why does it say 540 days on the notice of action.they should just get to the point and go by years. you have to wait blah blah years.

Timeline

my interview was 4 weeks ago. what do you mean you raised hell after 5 weeks? they have a 120 wait i dont think theres room for hell before the 120 days. thats the thing they have they give you days in hundreds and make you wait inside them. why cant they just give days like 30 days or 60 days..why does it say 540 days on the notice of action.they should just get to the point and go by years. you have to wait blah blah years.

Well not too much hell, contacted my senators office and politely asked them to make an inquiry for me as the oath letter was promised within two weeks, just a couple of hours later, wife's oath letter was e-mailed to me, said I could print that out and use it. Now granted, if that statement was not made to my wife, will receive the oath letter within two weeks, would have no recourse but to wait the 120 days. But also learned from this site, that others at the same time as my wife's interview received their oath notices at the end of the interview, mentioned that to my senator's office as well.

Forgot that I received a phone call from St. Paul first with apologies, here is a copy of her e-mail:

"Dear Mr. NickD

Per our conversation attached please find Oath appointment letter for your wife, Gloria, which has been scheduled for September 3, 2008, check-in time is 8:30 a.m. ceremony will start at 9:00 and end at 9:30 am.

Appointment letter will also be send out via U.S. Mail.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Thx.

Linda

Attachments"

This was on the Wednesday before, did get the original oath letter on Saturday, and the oath ceremony was on Tuesday. Wonder if we will still be waiting if I didn't make that call.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.