JillA

Tax Identification Number?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Friends,

So Glen spoke to his HR Manager today about adding me on to his benefits the day after we are married, but I made him check to see if I can still be added even though I will not have an SSN # right away. Fortunately she said I can still be added without the SSN #, they just need proof of marriage and a copy of my Visa.

However she did mention something about I should apply for/receive a "Tax Identification Number" and this would act like my SSN # until I get one. So it would allow me to apply for my driver's licence, etc and do most things that you need an SSN # for. Did any of you apply for this, is it necessary and should I apply fot a TIN?

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Hi Friends,

So Glen spoke to his HR Manager today about adding me on to his benefits the day after we are married, but I made him check to see if I can still be added even though I will not have an SSN # right away. Fortunately she said I can still be added without the SSN #, they just need proof of marriage and a copy of my Visa.

However she did mention something about I should apply for/receive a "Tax Identification Number" and this would act like my SSN # until I get one. So it would allow me to apply for my driver's licence, etc and do most things that you need an SSN # for. Did any of you apply for this, is it necessary and should I apply fot a TIN?

Hey a TIN number, that makes sense now, my honey was checking on some stuff for me and the bank where he deals said I would have to have a SSN to be added, or to open my own account or a TIN number....I will wait to see what responses you get....

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I do have an International Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), but it only serves tax related purposes for those who do not yet qualify for an SSN. I believe that the only things you can do with it are file a joint tax return or open a bank account. I know you cannot use it for a driver's license or credit or anything like that.

CSC
I-130

2008-03-12: NOA1 issued
2008-08-12: NOA2 issued

2008-08-18: NVC Received
2008-09-30: Case Complete
2008-10-16: Interview date assigned

2008-12-04: Interview
2008-12-08: Visa in hand

2008-12-11: POE: Buffalo NY Land Border Crossing
2008-12-23: Applied for SSN at local office (no record despite checking box to apply on DS-230)
2008-12-30: Welcome to the United States letter received
2009-01-06: SSN Received
2009-01-06: Greencard Received

2014-01-23: Sent N-400 package via express delivery

2014-01-27: NOA-1
2014-02-07: Biometric appointment letter mailed
2014-02-19: Biometric appointment
2014-02-21: Placed in line for interview scheduling

2014-03-25: Interview

2014-07-25: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

I used mine to get my driver's license here in NC. Every state is different though.

You can only get a TIN when you file taxes however, they no longer give them out all year long. As tax filing season isn't til next Spring, you'll have your SSN before that.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
I used mine to get my driver's license here in NC. Every state is different though.

You can only get a TIN when you file taxes however, they no longer give them out all year long. As tax filing season isn't til next Spring, you'll have your SSN before that.

How about me? we filed the taxes jointly and I still dont know if they issued the tin number for me...

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timeline

Not necessary. There was talk about me applying for one before SSN but in the end it just made no sense. I called the IRS and asked and they said it's only for tax purposes. ie. you can't get a job as it acting like your SSN.

It may allow you to get your driver's license but in this state it doesn't so you may want to check. You are going to be in PA right?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I see from your timeline that your not in the states yet , ( but congrats on your aproval )

from my experience it would be easier to file right away ( 2 weeks after entry in the states ) for SSN

probly depands on the states but in my case it would have been easier to file before marriage

I heard a lot who filed for SSN before marriage had no problem getting one within 2 weeks ,

if you like to file before marriage all you need is your valide I 90 and K1 ( of corse your passport too ,lol )

they will asign you a ssn with your maiden name , wich you can change easily after marriage once you have your GC

( had I knowen that at the time when I filled it would have saved a lot of headaches since my state gave me a run around saying K1 is for fiance not spouse and I had to go back 3 times before they submitted a homeland security check and aproved me the SSN after around 8 weeks waite )

but then again like I said it probly depands on the state your in, others here filled like me after marriage and didnt have the run around like I did

anyhow just wanted to give that advice so instead of goin for the TIN , maybe go for the ssn and be sure you can be added to medical , bank and all of your husbands important goodies

wish you good luck

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline

Not necessary. There was talk about me applying for one before SSN but in the end it just made no sense. I called the IRS and asked and they said it's only for tax purposes. ie. you can't get a job as it acting like your SSN.

It may allow you to get your driver's license but in this state it doesn't so you may want to check. You are going to be in PA right?

Yes I'll be in PA... thanks for the info, so I don't need it then since I won't be filing taxes anytime soon!!

I see from your timeline that your not in the states yet , ( but congrats on your aproval )

from my experience it would be easier to file right away ( 2 weeks after entry in the states ) for SSN

probly depands on the states but in my case it would have been easier to file before marriage

I heard a lot who filed for SSN before marriage had no problem getting one within 2 weeks ,

if you like to file before marriage all you need is your valide I 90 and K1 ( of corse your passport too ,lol )

they will asign you a ssn with your maiden name , wich you can change easily after marriage once you have your GC

( had I knowen that at the time when I filled it would have saved a lot of headaches since my state gave me a run around saying K1 is for fiance not spouse and I had to go back 3 times before they submitted a homeland security check and aproved me the SSN after around 8 weeks waite )

but then again like I said it probly depands on the state your in, others here filled like me after marriage and didnt have the run around like I did

anyhow just wanted to give that advice so instead of goin for the TIN , maybe go for the ssn and be sure you can be added to medical , bank and all of your husbands important goodies

wish you good luck

Thank you :) I am moving to the states on Nov. 15, very excited to do so! I appreciate the advice, I am going to apply for my SSN # very shortly after I arrive and I think that will work best!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Timeline
How about me? we filed the taxes jointly and I still dont know if they issued the tin number for me...

Did you also include the W7 form for the ITIN?

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Yes I'll be in PA... thanks for the info, so I don't need it then since I won't be filing taxes anytime soon!!

wish you good luck

Thank you :) I am moving to the states on Nov. 15, very excited to do so! I appreciate the advice, I am going to apply for my SSN # very shortly after I arrive and I think that will work best!

I agrea it would be easier , but one more advice make sure your at least 10 days to weeks in the states ,

thats the time DHS requires to get your info in theyr safe system , if you go to early SSN office might not be able to see you in theyr system and have to request your status from DHS wich would take around 6 weeks for DHS to answer to ssn office

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.