Lois

Letter of Invitation

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My SO just received his passport today!!! Yeah...BUT he was told at the immigration office that in addition to the "letter of invitation", that he needs to see an attorney and "insure" me. He told me that this a new requirement??? It sounds a bit fishy to me, but does anyone have the answer?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

are you talking about for you to travel there ? I am confused . If that is what you are talking about I have never heard of any such thing

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Timeline
are you talking about for you to travel there ? I am confused . If that is what you are talking about I have never heard of any such thing

Yes, I am to travel there in December. I thought that it was a money making "scam" also. And that's why I am out here asking the question. He said that it was "new". I didn't have a chance to talk further to him about this, but before I do, I just wanted to make sure. thanks

There are no other additional requirements on the Nigerian consulate website, other than the letter of invitation. My suggestion would be to contact the Nigerian consulate yourself and handle this from the US if you want to avoid a scam, THEN armed with good information talk to your SO and see if there is a difference in position between what your SO is telling you and the official requirements of the Nigerian government.

http://nigeria-consulate-atl.org/content/index.php (this is Atlanta, there are several consulates scattered around the US.)

i don't get it.

Timeline
There are no other additional requirements on the Nigerian consulate website, other than the letter of invitation. My suggestion would be to contact the Nigerian consulate yourself and handle this from the US if you want to avoid a scam, THEN armed with good information talk to your SO and see if there is a difference in position between what your SO is telling you and the official requirements of the Nigerian government.

http://nigeria-consulate-atl.org/content/index.php (this is Atlanta, there are several consulates scattered around the US.)

Thank you...I will

Timeline

Nigeria requires a letter of invitation and copies of several passport pages from him.

Your itinerary/ticket info

Your yeloow fever certificate

Proof of funding ( your back statement )

confirmed hotel resevations

You pay the ( about 130 if I remember correctly ) fees through a nigerian web site that is a bit difficult

you pay an additional 20 or so in processing fees to one of 3 locations

NY

Washington DC

Atlanta

There are more fees for rush processing somewhere about $100

anything else is a scam

Marriage Dec 2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have traveled to Nigeria SEVERAL times, all I have ever done is send an invitation letter, the Visa application, the visa fee and rush fee if I needed the visa in a hurry. I GAVE NOTHING ELSE NO BANK INFO, NO HOTEL INFO, NO TICKET, NOTHING LIKE THAT AT ALL. DONT BE FOOLED.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Nigeria is not a country that Americans are in danger of "defecting" too. Most people are trying to get out of Nigeria, not in.

Call the Embassy in DC if you have any questions (202) 986-8400

use this link....

http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/embassy_info.shtml

Good Luck :thumbs:

(L) P

Timeline

What I listed is the official embassy list of things to send. I know they are pretty easy on you not providing everything. Banks issue "visa letters" which gives the required info without revealing any details. Yellow fever card is required not that they asked me about it when I went.

here is directly from their web site

) Visitors, Tourist and Transit Visas

A.Valid passport (at least 6 months to expiration).

B.One recent passport photograph showing full-face with white background.

C.A copy of round-trip ticket (For non-Nigerians).

D.Letter of invitation accepting immigration responsibility or evidence of financial support while in Nigeria from individual Nigerians or Nigerian organizations.

E.Applicants for transit visas must submit copies of their onward tickets and visas to their destinations.

F.Children must submit copies of their birth certificates showing names of their parents.

G.Children of Nigerian parents must submit copies of the information page of both parents’ passport, and letter of consent from both parents.

H.Tourist must submit copies of their certified hotel reservation statements.

I. Resident aliens inviting friends must submit copies of their resident permits and the information page of their passports.

J. Aliens married to Nigerians or invited by Nigerians must submit copies of their hosts' or spouses' passports and letters accepting responsibility.

K.Processing Fee of $20.00 in money order.

L. Please visit the Nigerian Immigration Service website at www.immigration.gov.ng for payments online.

anyone saying there is a need to send money to be insured is trying to scam someone elses money

Marriage Dec 2009

Timeline

If this is a new rule, the Nigerian consulates here in America should know of it

so like others have said, give them a call they should know of this new rule if

it indeed exist.

I can't see how the person at the embassey could benefit from him buying you

insurance tho. Unless it was someone at the embassey wanting him to

purchase it directly from them.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
If this is a new rule, the Nigerian consulates here in America should know of it

so like others have said, give them a call they should know of this new rule if

it indeed exist.

I can't see how the person at the embassey could benefit from him buying you

insurance tho. Unless it was someone at the embassey wanting him to

purchase it directly from them.

Thank you for the info. It was discovered that the "person" in the immigration office was not well educated enough to provide that information that he did. I am in the process NOW of getting the documentation from Nigeria in order to proceed with my visa. I found out that the best solution is to scan it and then email it to me. Faxing is WAY too much and needs to be done in Lagos, International faxing is not available in Benin City without great cost. Wish me luck. Any other suggestions would really be appreciated also.

Timeline
My SO just received his passport today!!! Yeah...BUT he was told at the immigration office that in addition to the "letter of invitation", that he needs to see an attorney and "insure" me. He told me that this a new requirement??? It sounds a bit fishy to me, but does anyone have the answer?

well i dont know waht the person mean by an attorney and insure, i just resently sent a letter of invitation for my love, they did not request for any attorney clearance or insurance paper, just becareful about that i think you need to ask your man and let him tell you where he got that imformation from , because this could be a red light in your affair.

good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.