kelly1290

Experience With Nigerian Embassy

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello All,

I am in need of help. I would like to ask who to complain to when an embassy official did a field interview of a family member and did not identify themselves, so the family member refused to answer questions because the investigator acted as though she was a policewoman. The embassy investigator walked away and the family member then later found out from her youngest son that this was a lady from the embassy. She then ran after the investigator and said that I don't know who you are, but I can state the fact that my son is happily married, but the investigator refused to listen to her then and just drove away.

My question is should I complain to the Department of State? Isn't DOS over the embassies?

Thanks,

Deb

I-130

Marriage : 3/10/07

I-130 Sent : 5/17/07 transferred from NSC to CSC

I-130 NOA1 : 6/12/07 pending at CSC

Touched: 11/07/2007!!!!!! (However, no touches on I-129F)

Touched: 11/30/2007 Touched: 12/02/07 (on a Sunday) (Guess the lady actually did put on someone's desk afterall).

Touched: 12/06/07 (Hopefully this is them working on it)

Touched: 12/07/07 (Yesssss, come on approval!!!!)

Touched: 12/08/07 (Working on it even on a Saturday. What dedication!!!)

Touched: 12/12/07 (RFE)

Received RFE: 12/26/07

Sent back RFE: 12/26/07

Received in USCIS RFE mailroom: 12/27/07

Resumed case: 01/07/08

Touched: 01/08/2008

Touched: 01/09/2008 (APPROVED)

Touched: 01/10/2008

Received NOA2 by snail mail: 01/14/2008

Interview date: 08/12/2008 Put in the "black hole" of Administrative Processing

2nd Interview date: 12/08/2008 (Rescheduled on 12/22/08 due to 12/8 being a Muslin Holiday)

12/22/08: Visa denied on the basis that his mother didn't confirm our marriage. She didn't answer any questions because embassy official didn't identify herself.

07/06/09: Received Notice of Intent to Revoke

07/27/09: Sent in evidence disputing investigation findings

07/30/09: Case processing has resumed

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Yes, DOS ( Department of State ) is the correct avenue to complain to about this investigator. You can also email the chief consul at the embassy

and explain what happened and ask for identification from another investigator for a second filed visit.

The assumption of the investigator that anyone should just answer questions of unknown people that show up on the door step is ridiculous and

disrespectful.

I urge you to also take this complaint to your representative and let him confront the embassy with that issue. It is wrong wrong wrong !!!!!!!

I am so sick and tired of Africans being treated like they have no rights. I am about to blow a gasket. Let us know what happened.

Filed: Other Timeline
Yes, DOS ( Department of State ) is the correct avenue to complain to about this investigator. You can also email the chief consul at the embassy

and explain what happened and ask for identification from another investigator for a second filed visit.

The assumption of the investigator that anyone should just answer questions of unknown people that show up on the door step is ridiculous and

disrespectful.

I urge you to also take this complaint to your representative and let him confront the embassy with that issue. It is wrong wrong wrong !!!!!!!

I am so sick and tired of Africans being treated like they have no rights. I am about to blow a gasket. Let us know what happened.

{dang, Omoba :huh: , me thinx this hit a nerve within you :( .}

:ot2: you did give good advice and I hope that lady gets herz :bonk::bonk:

if she's going to do her job, atleast do it right!!

to the op, plz. keep us informed, I'll be praying for ya (F)(F)

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Timeline

Thanks for much for your input Omoba. Though this field interview only happened yesterday (and I am surprised they moved on this so quickly as his interview was only on Aug. 12), I don't want her negative opinions to reach a CO before his 2nd interview and keep them from issuing him a visa. She first interviewed someone in the neighborhood, but not a neighbor that knew him very well. She asked about my husband using his native name and not the name everyone knows him by, so at first the guy on the street said he didn't know him, but when she asked again using the name everyone knows him by, then he said, yes, I know of him. She asked him if he was aware whether he was married or not and the guy said, no, he was not sure because he didn't know him that well. Then, she caught his little brother and asked if he was aware of our marriage and he said yes, but his wife is not in Nigeria, but in USA. She asked how my husband was to him and he answered that he is my older brother, then she wanted to talk to his mother. His mother was standing in the doorway of her home and the investigator greeted her and said good afternoon, are you the mother of Michael, and she replied yes, hope there is no problem. My mother-in-law then asked again, hope there is no problem? Then the investigator said madam just answer my questions, and my mom-in-law said no. My mother-in-law became afraid because of her approach like she was the police, and she knew of someone else who was arrested for marrying a white lady and they had to pay 700,000 naira to get him out. We all know how corrupt the Lagos police are. The investigator wouldn't say anything more, so his mother asked her again who she was and the investigator just turned and walked away. My husband's brother then told his mom that she was from the embassy, so when she found that out, she ran after her and said that she didn't know where she was from, but to state the fact, my son is happily married, and all the investigator would say was, then why don't people in the neighborhood know anything about it, and then left in her car.

In my opinion, after accusing my husband of not really loving me, but only using me, she should have been more worried about whether he had a hidden family instead of how much noise was made about our wedding. My neighbors here don't know anything about my marriage to him. I dont' even talk to my neighbors, so how does that hold any bearing on whether our marriage is bonefide? I havent' liked this woman since she interviewed me. She is very rude and condescending and treated me as if I was a victim of my own husband, and accused my husband of lying about loving me and that he was only using me for a benefit without having any proof of that at all. I did my own investigation of my husband before I even married him and I took 2 years before deciding to marry him. I checked out everything he told me and with time found them to be true. She didn't find out anything about him having a hidden family and at least the one family told her he was aware of our wedding and that I was from US, and she would have gotten more from my mother-in-law had she treated her respectfully and identified herself when asked.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I need to get to work on this before anything more negative comes of this.

Deb

disrespectful.

I-130

Touched: 11/30/2007 Touched: 12/02/07 (on a Sunday) (Guess the lady actually did put on someone's desk afterall).

2nd Interview date: 12/08/2008 (Rescheduled on 12/22/08 due to 12/8 being a Muslin Holiday)

12/22/08: Visa denied on the basis that his mother didn't confirm our marriage. She didn't answer any questions because embassy official didn't identify herself.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Good Luck Deb. Being proactive is good.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

Thanks B and Z. I am sort of thinking though, would complaining to DOS before anything negative has happened be in our best interest because what if she didn't use any info about his mother, but instead used the info she got from his brother? What if she didn't say anything negative about our case because she didn't find anything like a hidden family or children and nothing where he lied about anything. Would I make our case worse by saying something to DOS about her not identifying herself if she didn't even say anything negative about my husband to CO?

What is your opinion?

I-130

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Deb, sorry you are going through this.

I know that you want to be proactive about this (and it very unfair how they are treating your case) but I don't know if caling DOS or contacting the chief CO is going to do any good. All you can do is complain, I doubt that it will have any bearing on how they view your case. I don't think that they would discount what the investigator says over what you say.

I would say sit tight and wait to see what comes of all this. If the investigator relays everything as you did, then anyone with half a brain would understand why your MIL was cautious. In fact, it may work to your advantage.

I suggest you inform your elected rep of this incident so that they are aware, but leave complaining to DOS for now.

We are praying for you (F)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
Deb, sorry you are going through this.

I know that you want to be proactive about this (and it very unfair how they are treating your case) but I don't know if caling DOS or contacting the chief CO is going to do any good. All you can do is complain, I doubt that it will have any bearing on how they view your case. I don't think that they would discount what the investigator says over what you say.

I would say sit tight and wait to see what comes of all this. If the investigator relays everything as you did, then anyone with half a brain would understand why your MIL was cautious. In fact, it may work to your advantage.

I suggest you inform your elected rep of this incident so that they are aware, but leave complaining to DOS for now.

We are praying for you (F)

Thanks for your prayers and advice Zee Bee! That is exactly my sentiments after I sat and thought about it for a moment. They are already looking at our marriage suspiciously as there is an age difference, so I don't want to jump the gun when nothing has happened negatively yet. Though she is a rude person and though she was wrong for refusing to identify herself I suppose doesn't mean that she would view my MIL negatively when in fact, she got what she needed from my brother-in-law and there was nothing found like children or other girlfriend's or wives. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize our case, so I think I will hold off until he is called back and goes through the 2nd interview. Then we will know better what to do.

Thanks! I just needed someone to confirm what I was already starting to think.

Deb

I-130

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Thanks B and Z. I am sort of thinking though, would complaining to DOS before anything negative has happened be in our best interest because what if she didn't use any info about his mother, but instead used the info she got from his brother? What if she didn't say anything negative about our case because she didn't find anything like a hidden family or children and nothing where he lied about anything. Would I make our case worse by saying something to DOS about her not identifying herself if she didn't even say anything negative about my husband to CO?

What is your opinion?

I agree also to wait until you know if she used the info negatively. But if you get a denial make sure you immediately

notify the chief consul and representative. She may just act like she has a corn cobb up her hiney but shed a positive light

on her findings.

I also think we don't have to take all the bologny we are faced with and need to speak up when treated unfairly from the

investigators.

There are regulations they have to abide by and the lack of checks and balances can get out of hand.

Timeline

What is your opinion?

I agree also to wait until you know if she used the info negatively. But if you get a denial make sure you immediately

notify the chief consul and representative. She may just act like she has a corn cobb up her hiney but shed a positive light

on her findings.

I also think we don't have to take all the bologny we are faced with and need to speak up when treated unfairly from the

investigators.

There are regulations they have to abide by and the lack of checks and balances can get out of hand.

Thanks Omoba! I knew you would understand if no one else did. I don't want to jeopardize our case by jumping the gun before anything negative has happened, so I will be doing just that...waiting. I am sure he will be called back shortly and I have made copies of all email correspondence I have had with the investigator and will keep all copies of correspondence with the embassy whenever they answer my inquiry.

I-130

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't think complaining to DOS will net any results, negative or positive. I remember you saying that you had the CO's email address. Maybe you could send her a note, not complaining, but just stating that your mother in law contacted you concerned that her hesitatnce to speak to a stranger could negatively affect her son's case and would like to offer to speak with her again if she needs a more complete interview.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline
I don't think complaining to DOS will net any results, negative or positive. I remember you saying that you had the CO's email address. Maybe you could send her a note, not complaining, but just stating that your mother in law contacted you concerned that her hesitatnce to speak to a stranger could negatively affect her son's case and would like to offer to speak with her again if she needs a more complete interview.

No, I don't have the CO's email address. I have the email address of the investigating officer that interviewed both me and my husband. She is the same one who showed up at my MIL's house. I guess I could try that and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of that.

I-130

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I guess you can report the officer for not identfying herself but then again I'd be happy that the

officer did indeed come and question your in laws and their neighbors. When there's nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about. The officer should of gotten that much outta her investigation, like you said she didn't find a wife or children.

Nigeria is known for marriage scams thus the officer did what she is being paid to do. The way she

went about it may not be the way we'd do things here but neither is our way of life like theirs.

Things will work out, I know how you feel tho; as I was a nervous wreck thru-out the process of getting my ex-husband here with me. I wrote my congressman and all that all in the name of love.

All my ex-husband had to do was sit back and wait, it was me making sure that he got his visa and he did. I know it's hard to do but try to relax, your already married so your petition should go thru

providing that all is in order.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

Timeline
I guess you can report the officer for not identfying herself but then again I'd be happy that the

officer did indeed come and question your in laws and their neighbors. When there's nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about. The officer should of gotten that much outta her investigation, like you said she didn't find a wife or children.

Nigeria is known for marriage scams thus the officer did what she is being paid to do. The way she

went about it may not be the way we'd do things here but neither is our way of life like theirs.

Things will work out, I know how you feel tho; as I was a nervous wreck thru-out the process of getting my ex-husband here with me. I wrote my congressman and all that all in the name of love.

All my ex-husband had to do was sit back and wait, it was me making sure that he got his visa and he did. I know it's hard to do but try to relax, your already married so your petition should go thru

providing that all is in order.

Thanks Idocare! I did email the investigator and was just brief and to the point that my MIL was concerned that her hesitation to speak to a stranger would negatively affect our case and she invited her back if she needed a more complete report. I never got an answer back from her and I probably won't get one, but it was worth a try. I decided to hold off on any complaints about her because nothing negative has happened yet, so need to fix what isn't broke yet. Maybe the neighbors (even though the only neighbor she questioned was not sure if Mike was married or not as he didn't know him well enough) and his brother's interview will be sufficient. We will know more once he is called back and I hope they are as quick with calling him back as they were to do the investigation. Lagos is getting better about that. Mike's interview was Aug. 12, so that was only 2 months past the interview that they did the investigation.

All our ducks are in a row, so we are confident everything will turn out okay.

Deb

I-130

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.