Jaylen Brit

Banks - keeping UK bank account

20 posts in this topic

I use the Halifax but they've bascially told me that altho they do have an account i can use after I leave the UK, its not available to use with online banking, only telephone banking, and the account is subject to tax, even tho I'm a non-tax payer.

They say I'll have to claim the tax back again from the IR.

So..my question is..who uses what? Are they good? Do they take tax even if you are a non-taxpayer? Or whats the deal?

Give me ALL the skinny on how you are doing it! :)

I also have an account with NatWest (part of RBS) and I note they have an international banking arm which DOES appear to use online banking - so I havent checkd that out yet with them in person.

I hate to leave either bank as Ive been with them both for years but I;m willing to shift accounts to wherever in order to get what I want :)

Visa/barclaycard have no issues at all with me moving countries - in fact its part of the reason I want to keep a UK account - so I can settle the bill via online banking thru that rather than my US checking account (taking advantage of exchange rates as well); so the Halifax seeming to mess me around, with accounts that don't fit my 'want list' is rather annoying.

Edit to add:

Obviously I want to use my UK accounts(s) as a form of saving and to also transfer amounts to my US checking if I get low - havent go the US one yet tho as I cant get one til after I arrive.

Edited by Jaylen Brit

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
I use the Halifax but they've bascially told me that altho they do have an account i can use after I leave the UK, its not available to use with online banking, only telephone banking, and the account is subject to tax, even tho I'm a non-tax payer.

They say I'll have to claim the tax back again from the IR.

So..my question is..who uses what? Are they good? Do they take tax even if you are a non-taxpayer? Or whats the deal?

Give me ALL the skinny on how you are doing it! :)

I also have an account with NatWest (part of RBS) and I note they have an international banking arm which DOES appear to use online banking - so I havent checkd that out yet with them in person.

I hate to leave either bank as Ive been with them both for years but I;m willing to shift accounts to wherever in order to get what I want :)

Visa/barclaycard have no issues at all with me moving countries - in fact its part of the reason I want to keep a UK account - so I can settle the bill via online banking thru that rather than my US checking account (taking advantage of exchange rates as well); so the Halifax seeming to mess me around, with accounts that don't fit my 'want list' is rather annoying.

Edit to add:

Obviously I want to use my UK accounts(s) as a form of saving and to also transfer amounts to my US checking if I get low - havent go the US one yet tho as I cant get one til after I arrive.

My husband had a very difficult time with this. He couldn't find any decent solution, really. He did have one account with a visa "debit" cashpoint card, but with no online banking, and even worse, only allowed him to make cashpoint withdrawals - he would get denied if trying to make a store purchase with it. Became very frustrating, and he eventually gave up and just uses our joint US account.

Happy

Jayke

I've kept my UK accounts open and transfer money over every month to our joint account. If I'm buying stuff for me, I usually pay on my UK visa card, then pay for it online from my NatWest UK account, that way I get a good exchange rate and a few weeks grace in paying for it.

Also, we went to the back to add me to Dave's account the other day. They didn't even want a marriage certificate, just my UK driving licence and SS card. Added me there and then and we got new check books and my debit card today in my married name. Couldn't have been easier.

Hope you're doing well Jaylen :)

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

hey Helen :)

Im doing great - if a little stressed, lol

CONGRATS on your wedding :) We did do a thread in OT for you - if u saw it :)

So..Nat West eh? Good..I have an account with them...maybe I'll use them then and not the Halifax..glad to hear the online banking thing and transfers etc works well..thats helpful.. :thumbs: .do they extract tax from you do you know?

Applied for K1

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We used a UK addy with a family member. It really helps to keep a UK account (I miss it now!).

Be sure to set up the online banking before you leave the UK---most I saw had to be set up in person.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I'm with the Halifax and had no problems accessing my online account whilst in the US. You could also opt for the paperless banking route that way there's be no need for you to change your adress. As you wont be a permanent resident for a few years you can still keep your account open :thumbs: I'd consider using HSBC offshore or Moneycorp for any large transactions though ;)

Adele

> Texas have received out application and cashed the cheque!

We got our NOA1 as at 26 Oct 2005!

Sent to CSC 26 Oct 2005

NOA2 26 Jan 2006

Sent to Embassy 9 Feb 2006

Embassy sent pk3 21 feb 2006

Recd and return pk3 27 feb

Medical 8 March

recd pk4 11 April

Interview 10 May

Visa Approved 10 May

Visa Received 13 May

Fly to Memphis 21 june

Married 1 September

AOS NOA1 23 Jan 2007

Case transferred to Missourri

Case transferred back to CSC feb 01

Card in the mail March 05

Case approved March 005

Welcome to America Letters received March 08

Filed for lifting of conditions - received in Vermont Jan 20 2009

I-797C NOA received Jan 26 2009

Visit My Website

A Joy unshared is like and unlighted candle

Really? dammit on the phone today they told me I would have to switch from my instant saver acc to the premium saver one but maybe thats cos I have a savings account and not a checking account with the Halifax..hmm..

Damn banks - confusing the heck out of me..grrr

Applied for K1

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

Oooh thanks Jaylen, I've posted a message there and a pic.

As for tax, not a clue. I haven't told the UK i'm here yet but will be in the next few weeks.

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Tim uses Halifax, it is a cheking account so maybe that is the problem you are having. I have had his debit card here in the states for a year and a half, access his online account etc, no problems. Of course he told them it would be in use in the states, and I can obviously only use it at an atm machine. I always try to take out the maximum amount to avoid lots of extra fees. During his 3 month visit last year his card was due to expire, so he set up his mail to be delivered to a friend, who then forwarded the card in the post. We were able to do a larger transaction over the phone with them to a U.S account as well. Hope that helps.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline

I have a woolwich open plan account, I rang them up yesterday and changed my address to my sisters and they said that was fine, I am with Washington Mutual here in the USA and they do free transfers anywhere in the world so when I do start work I will start to transfer money to my account in England. I can access both accounts online and it is very good.

Janice

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

I'm with the Halifax and had no problems accessing my online account whilst in the US. You could also opt for the paperless banking route that way there's be no need for you to change your adress. As you wont be a permanent resident for a few years you can still keep your account open :thumbs: I'd consider using HSBC offshore or Moneycorp for any large transactions though ;)

Adele

I used to work for Moneycorp, in their retail sector. So I would definately recommend them, the people are really cool and fantastic to deal with. Especially so after I transferred funds through them when I got here. Fantastic exchange rate at the time (wish I was changing money now though! The rate was almost 1.9 the other day), but still great to do buisness with. :thumbs:

I have a Lloyds TSB account that I don't really do anything with. I have a little money in there still though. But Mark and I are thinking of moving back to the UK at some point, so it'll be useful to have a bank account ready.

I am with First Direct in UK and intend to keep the acc open. Fantastic bank --- not a penny in charges in the 30 years I have been banking with them, and no not because I have money!!! :)

We have a joint account in the US with BOA and I got a big shock to see we are charged for even a cheque book.

One other thing -- for anyone considering transferring funds from UK to US, the dollar has been at an annual low recently. We transferred money two weeks ago at one cent under market trading, using HIFX. It was easy and super smooth. Can thoroughly recommend them.

Good Luck, daisy

Daisy, Surrey UK +++ DJ, California USA

March 2001: Dear Duck.... with kind regards, Daisy

April 2002: Our first visit, the start of many..

How blessed we are to meet and fall in love

May 2005: We marry in California

June 2005: We start the visa process

July 2005: NOA1

Jan 2006: NOA2

Apr 2006: Case complete

Apr 2006: NVC send file to London

June 2006: Church blessing in London

June 2006: Medical

June 2006: Interview

June 2006: VISA!!!!! :)))

Sept 2006: Daisy age 50 and 7/12ths moves to California... whoooohooooooo!

Removal of Conditions

June 2008: Mail package to CSC

July 2008: Biometrics Appt

October 2008: 10 year green card arrives in the mail.

Citizenship

January 2010: Apply for US citizenship.

March 2010: Oath ceremony. Citizenship complete!!!!!

Ive looked into using HiFX before as someone else recommended them for large transfers (in the thousands) - were they easy to use?

As for the UK end I may have to use my mom's addy for my Halifax savings and my NatWest checking account for bill paying - and then send money from Halifax to NatWest to keep it topped up :lol:

When I visit the UK I want to make sure I have funds readily available to me - another reason for keeping my money here :D

Applied for K1

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

Another vote for First Direct - they are fantastic. I've been with so many banks in my time (and got plenty of nasty letters to prove it!) but FD are a breeze. Really fantastic customer service too. Get some one to recommend you and I think you get some free cash for opening too! Not a lot but it all helps.

I use my US credit cards in the UK all the time - the UK ones will never match my US 0% interest charges!

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

HIFX were excellent. This is the first time I used them. We set up an account, mailed off copy of a utility bill and driving licence witnessed by a work colleague. The account was opened in 2 days.

The dollar took a further dive the week before last so I called them up and bought. The minimum is 5000k sterling. They gave me just under one cent to the pound less than general market rate. I shopped around UK banks through friends as well as our own and that rate could not be matched. No wire charges either, they pick up any charge. They email you your login to your transaction status and you have three days to wire the funds to them along with the mandate giving routing and account details of US bank. Three days later -- voila the $$$ were in our American bank a/c.

The toughest part was getting the routing number from BOA!!

We will be using them again. Keep an eye on dollar exchange rate. When you are transferring large amounts it makes so much difference.

with best wishes, daisy

Daisy, Surrey UK +++ DJ, California USA

March 2001: Dear Duck.... with kind regards, Daisy

April 2002: Our first visit, the start of many..

How blessed we are to meet and fall in love

May 2005: We marry in California

June 2005: We start the visa process

July 2005: NOA1

Jan 2006: NOA2

Apr 2006: Case complete

Apr 2006: NVC send file to London

June 2006: Church blessing in London

June 2006: Medical

June 2006: Interview

June 2006: VISA!!!!! :)))

Sept 2006: Daisy age 50 and 7/12ths moves to California... whoooohooooooo!

Removal of Conditions

June 2008: Mail package to CSC

July 2008: Biometrics Appt

October 2008: 10 year green card arrives in the mail.

Citizenship

January 2010: Apply for US citizenship.

March 2010: Oath ceremony. Citizenship complete!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.