Karena

sending money legally

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi, Omar has the Carta Blanca (permission to exit Cuba) and a flight and is arriving at JFK on Oct. 5th!!! I know that with this process I am allowed to send a one time money transfer (Western Union) to Cuba for him for up to $500, but I do not know how to go about this. Has anyone done this? Do I need documentation for the K-1 when I go to Western Union? Beacuse I am not Cuban, I am worried that they will give me a hard time. Please advise!!!! Other than this we are sooooo Happy!!! He is flying on Air Jamaica from Havana to Kingston, Jamaica to JFK. Also, does anyone know if when he arrives at JFK which line he gets on for Customs since he has the visa, and does he have to ask for the temporary work permit when he gives his packet in, or is it automatic. (His english is not so good yet, so we want to make sure he asks them the right way).

I can't believe he is coming so soon!!!!!

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate :US Special Interest Section---Havana

I-129F Sent : 2007-12-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-12-31

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2008-07-17 Submit Review

Visa Received : 2008-07-18

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments : Arriving 10/05/2008

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

Your interview took 209 days from your I-129F filing date.

Edited by Karena

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know that with this process I am allowed to send a one time money transfer (Western Union) to Cuba for him for up to $500?????

i wonder why just one time

all what you have to do is go to western union and give them your fiance info like his name , address,phone num.... thats all.

and Congratulations on his arrival . i think he has to go to the immigrations line i guess maybe someone else can tell you about that

they will give him the temporary work permit at JFK

Good luck and my best wishes

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi, Omar has the Carta Blanca (permission to exit Cuba) and a flight and is arriving at JFK on Oct. 5th!!! I know that with this process I am allowed to send a one time money transfer (Western Union) to Cuba for him for up to $500, but I do not know how to go about this. Has anyone done this? Do I need documentation for the K-1 when I go to Western Union? Beacuse I am not Cuban, I am worried that they will give me a hard time. Please advise!!!! Other than this we are sooooo Happy!!! He is flying on Air Jamaica from Havana to Kingston, Jamaica to JFK. Also, does anyone know if when he arrives at JFK which line he gets on for Customs since he has the visa, and does he have to ask for the temporary work permit when he gives his packet in, or is it automatic. (His english is not so good yet, so we want to make sure he asks them the right way).

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

When I started this immigration stuff over five years, found and ask an attorney the quickest was to bring my bride here. In a jokingly fashion, he said plant her on a raft five miles in the gulf off of Miami, when the Coast guard comes alone, have her tell them she's from Cuba, that was she can stay here as a permanent resident without the immigration hassle. Wonder if that took place. when Emilio, a Cuban refugee was had of the USCIS, seems like they have special privileges, like that instant work permit. We had to pay around $600.00 and wait about eight months to get it. Ha, my bride didn't want to be dumped on a raft in shark infested waters. I didn't care for the idea either.

Wife is from Colombia and moved to Venezuela with her mother living in Colombia, to bring them over here, just contacted the airlines, made reservations here, put the fare on my credit card, and they picked up the tickets either in Colombia or Venezuela. Did you try that for Cuba? That way, I didn't have to transfer money, Colombia is not bad, Venezuela gets rough.

Timeline

Unfortunately , due to the embargo, there are very strict rules regarding sending money to Cuba from the united states. Becuase I am not Cuban, they make an excetion 1 time for me to be able to help my fiancee leave the country.

I know that with this process I am allowed to send a one time money transfer (Western Union) to Cuba for him for up to $500?????

i wonder why just one time

all what you have to do is go to western union and give them your fiance info like his name , address,phone num.... thats all.

and Congratulations on his arrival . i think he has to go to the immigrations line i guess maybe someone else can tell you about that

they will give him the temporary work permit at JFK

Good luck and my best wishes

Timeline

We are almost done with the process, I did book his airline here by credit card. I just need to transfer some money to him.

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

When I started this immigration stuff over five years, found and ask an attorney the quickest was to bring my bride here. In a jokingly fashion, he said plant her on a raft five miles in the gulf off of Miami, when the Coast guard comes alone, have her tell them she's from Cuba, that was she can stay here as a permanent resident without the immigration hassle. Wonder if that took place. when Emilio, a Cuban refugee was had of the USCIS, seems like they have special privileges, like that instant work permit. We had to pay around $600.00 and wait about eight months to get it. Ha, my bride didn't want to be dumped on a raft in shark infested waters. I didn't care for the idea either.

Wife is from Colombia and moved to Venezuela with her mother living in Colombia, to bring them over here, just contacted the airlines, made reservations here, put the fare on my credit card, and they picked up the tickets either in Colombia or Venezuela. Did you try that for Cuba? That way, I didn't have to transfer money, Colombia is not bad, Venezuela gets rough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
We are almost done with the process, I did book his airline here by credit card. I just need to transfer some money to him.

From http://www.cubanismo.net/teksten_eng/econo...peso_waller.htm

"The Problem

Hundreds of thousands of Cubans get remittances sent to them from family members abroad. If these family members live in Spain, Italy or wherever, there is no problem. The money can be sent as a direct bank transfer, or via a debit card withdrawal, or can be brought as cash. The problem is the remittances from the Cuban Americans. US banks are not allowed to make ordinary bank transfers to Cuba. This money arrives as US dollars - either brought in person, or sent via Western Union. Cuban Americans are allowed by the US government to send a maximum of $100 a month to just one direct family member. Western Union changes an extortionate fee for this service and insists (or rather the US government insists) that the withdrawal must be in US dollars ("so that Castro doesn´t get his hands on the money"). As of Nov 8th under either route the receiving Cuban family will have to pay the 10% tax to change their money into convertible pesos or to deposit it into an account.

Cubans were urged to contact their family abroad and explore the options for getting their money in the most cost effective way. Some may find family or friends in third countries whose bank accounts can be used to receive the money from the US and transfer it on to Cuba. Or when Cuban-Americans come on their visits to Cuba they may now arrive with fistfuls of Canadian dollars or euros."

Does your friend really need money? If he can get to the airport, can't really buy much of anything or wouldn't unless you want to pay five bucks for a rotten cup of coffee that may even make you sick on the plane. Once he is here, you can load him up with cash.

Timeline

Yes, I just want to send a small amount. He has to pay exit fee in Havana, which he can, but he is flying to jamaica with a 5 hour layover and then to New York. In this day and age when you never know what could cuase a MAJOR delay on a flighrt, an airport could shut down for a few hours becuase of a threat, etc. most likely nothing will happen, but no one wants to fly with nothing in their pocket. It is really "insurance" in case of emergency. I SPECIFICALLY need to know what the one time process is for a K-1 petitioner who wants to send $$$ to Cuba needs to do. I d not need to be questioned as to what he needs the $$$ for. The point is to make sure he gets here safely, not to "load him up with money"

t

From http://www.cubanismo.net/teksten_eng/econo...peso_waller.htm

"The Problem

Hundreds of thousands of Cubans get remittances sent to them from family members abroad. If these family members live in Spain, Italy or wherever, there is no problem. The money can be sent as a direct bank transfer, or via a debit card withdrawal, or can be brought as cash. The problem is the remittances from the Cuban Americans. US banks are not allowed to make ordinary bank transfers to Cuba. This money arrives as US dollars - either brought in person, or sent via Western Union. Cuban Americans are allowed by the US government to send a maximum of $100 a month to just one direct family member. Western Union changes an extortionate fee for this service and insists (or rather the US government insists) that the withdrawal must be in US dollars ("so that Castro doesn´t get his hands on the money"). As of Nov 8th under either route the receiving Cuban family will have to pay the 10% tax to change their money into convertible pesos or to deposit it into an account.

Cubans were urged to contact their family abroad and explore the options for getting their money in the most cost effective way. Some may find family or friends in third countries whose bank accounts can be used to receive the money from the US and transfer it on to Cuba. Or when Cuban-Americans come on their visits to Cuba they may now arrive with fistfuls of Canadian dollars or euros."

Does your friend really need money? If he can get to the airport, can't really buy much of anything or wouldn't unless you want to pay five bucks for a rotten cup of coffee that may even make you sick on the plane. Once he is here, you can load him up with cash.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.