shadow1188

2 year Green Card and Traveling

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

2 months ago I received my 2 year Conditional Green Card. I am planning to go to see my family. Can I travel peacefuly with it?! Wouldthere be a problem because of different names in my passport and permanent resident card? Ijust want to be 100% sure.. Don't feel like being stuck AGAIN on the other side of the world from my baby... Please share your experiences! Thank you in advance!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

You can travel without any problems now. Have your marriage certificate with you, and you'll be fine. And while you're in your country, why not get a new passport with the new name?

Edited by pilot's girl

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

Nov 13, 2004 - I-129F sent to CSC

Mar 09, 2005 - Interview at the Warsaw Embassy

total time: 114 days

AOS:

Sep 02, 2005 - AOS/EAD packet sent to Chicago

Nov 19, 2005 - AOS/EAD biometrics done

Nov 28, 2005 - EAD card in the mail

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

Mar 29, 2006 - Permanent Resident Card arrived in the mail

total time: 197 days

joint I-751:

Feb 11, 2008 - I-751 sent to NSC

Mar 12, 2008 - biometrics done

Jul 28, 2008 - I-751 approved

Aug 04, 2008 - 10-year GC arrived in the mail

total time: 158 days

detailed timeline in my profile

.png

oMDEm6.png

And while you're in your country, why not get a new passport with the new name?

I'm not sure this would be a good idea as she will then have a passport with a name that does not match what's on her plane ticket. The different posts about passport/ticket/gc that I've seen have all emphasized the the ticket should match the name on the passport.

Edited by eau_xplain

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Been there, done that, had no problems in either direction, :thumbs: BTW, I had my ticket in my married name just to complicate matters. :devil: Most people would probably choose to use the name that matches the passport, however, either option is absolutely fine with American Airlines at least, as long as you do as pilot's girl advised and make sure you take the original marriage certificate on the trip, and as long as the certificate shows both your names on it ... The check in agents simply made a note of the details on their computer when I checked in each time. I would suggest checking with your prospective airline as to their particular preference on that issue though.

Have a great time!

All the best,

Sheila

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Once month ago i was in Europe traveling with my passport maiden name, green card married name haven t had a problem....

Bring your marriage certificate along.

I m right now working on the process to get a new passport... It s all a mess with the french consulate.

Filed: Timeline
Hello all,

2 months ago I received my 2 year Conditional Green Card. I am planning to go to see my family. Can I travel peacefuly with it?! Wouldthere be a problem because of different names in my passport and permanent resident card? Ijust want to be 100% sure.. Don't feel like being stuck AGAIN on the other side of the world from my baby... Please share your experiences! Thank you in advance!!

It also will depend what country you are from as they have they own bugs there ,you know.

I suggest to you to send you passport to the your country Counsulate here in the U.S with the request to stamp your passport page with your married name on it,so you will not have any problems at all.

I' ve personally done that and they charge some sort of fee for that,but like i said that every country is different and my consulate has done this for me ,but maybe not every consulate does that ,you should check with your consulate.

Take Care!

Sincerely.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

That's a good idea Sweetgirl, I'll have to call my consulate here in the US to ask if they'd put a stamp... Because getting a new passport through Polish embassy in the US costs $110 AND you wait about 6 months. If you go to Poland for a visit on the other hand, you pay no more that $30 and you have it in 3 weeks.

I called Lufthansa about the name thing and they told me that as long as I have marriage cert with me it doesn't matter which name is where, because both are on the certificate.

~*Niki & Ryan*~

K1:

Nov 13, 2004 - I-129F sent to CSC

Mar 09, 2005 - Interview at the Warsaw Embassy

total time: 114 days

AOS:

Sep 02, 2005 - AOS/EAD packet sent to Chicago

Nov 19, 2005 - AOS/EAD biometrics done

Nov 28, 2005 - EAD card in the mail

Mar 20, 2006 - interview

Mar 29, 2006 - Permanent Resident Card arrived in the mail

total time: 197 days

joint I-751:

Feb 11, 2008 - I-751 sent to NSC

Mar 12, 2008 - biometrics done

Jul 28, 2008 - I-751 approved

Aug 04, 2008 - 10-year GC arrived in the mail

total time: 158 days

detailed timeline in my profile

.png

oMDEm6.png

Hi Shadow

I feel the same as you, I always get worried that they wont let me back in the US. I have a post similar to yours on the previous page.

I am going to the UK in July. My tickets and passport are in my previous name and my Green Card is in my new name. I am taking my marriage certificate.

I didnt have any problems when I travelled under my Advance Parole last year and this was in my new name. They looked me up on the computer and didnt even look at my marriage certificate.

I suppose it would be expected that after a year and a half of marriage ones passport would be amended. Ha ha! I am loathe to let my precious passport out of my sight.

Anyway I am presuming there will be no problems as other people on this site seem to have travelled without any bad experiences. I suppose at the worse I could be taken aside to another room while they looked at my info. on the computer and maybe question me. Thats no problem as I have been through this before.

Good Luck Happy Travelling

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.