ramc75

Green Card Approved but with conditions

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think for the k1, U must get a 2 years green card no matter how long U have been married. Most people who get the 10 years are either k3 visa applicant or have been in the country for another visa benefit that is different from the k1. Please someone correct me if U think am wrong? U know k3 visa is already a two years visa so if U are approved of ur green card around ur second year of marriage then I think U will get the 10 years of green card. That is why I think it is a waste of money for a k3 visa applicant to come into the country and immediately want to adjust to permanent residency. It is of no use, just get ur EAD which will be of 2 years becos it cover the 2 years visa that U got. Just using this medium to educate the k3 visa applicant cos I see so many of them rushing to get the conditional green card as soon as they come into the United States. Don't U think it is a waste of money????

Embassy admit having petition (interview date not known yet) 20th Oct 2005

Picked up package 4 at embassy 24 of Oct

Interview date: 19th January 2006 DENIED (221G)

Second interview: 3rd of Feb 2006 VISA APPROVED! Thank U Lord!!!

Filed: Timeline
Yes, you are right in that I was lucky of getting a green card, whether it's for 2 years or 10. What I was getting at were the inconsistencies in Immigration Services.

When you called the 'CIS to inquire about why you had rcv'd a 2-year card instead of a 10 year card; did you also inquire about why your card had been approved w/o an interview?

I'm sure all of us are aware of it being an expensive and time consuming process. If we can try to get it done with less expenses and time, which we should have a right to exercise, then let's do it. They already took $180 from me for the EAD, which will be meaningless to me once it gets approved, since I already have the green card.

Immigrants have the privilege of coming, staying and/or living here, not the right.

I don't understand how you got a GC before an EAD. EADs come first and everything else later.

Paying for an EAD is the right way to do things and needed to legally work in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Immigrants have the privilege of coming, staying and/or living here, not the right.

I don't understand how you got a GC before an EAD. EADs come first and everything else later.

Paying for an EAD is the right way to do things and needed to legally work in the US.

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but I believe that this is the third EAD for the applicant - he already had 2 previous ones and the last was about to expire, so had sent in the application for another renewal. That is why he is feeling frustrated as in another post he mentions he had just got back from mailing the EAD application and received the notice about his approval. I would be annoyed too.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I think for the k1, U must get a 2 years green card no matter how long U have been married. Most people who get the 10 years are either k3 visa applicant or have been in the country for another visa benefit that is different from the k1. Please someone correct me if U think am wrong? U know k3 visa is already a two years visa so if U are approved of ur green card around ur second year of marriage then I think U will get the 10 years of green card. That is why I think it is a waste of money for a k3 visa applicant to come into the country and immediately want to adjust to permanent residency. It is of no use, just get ur EAD which will be of 2 years becos it cover the 2 years visa that U got. Just using this medium to educate the k3 visa applicant cos I see so many of them rushing to get the conditional green card as soon as they come into the United States. Don't U think it is a waste of money????

There are those that have come on K1s who were given automatic 10 years cards upon approval after their 2 year anniversaries. Then there were others who when receiving the 2 year conditional card after 2 years of marriage have gone back into their local service centres to question it and the service centres corrected them.

In my case I married June 2002, had my AOS interview on December 23, 2002 along with my son. The officer approved us however couldn't officially give the seal of approval until my FBI checks came back saying it would probably be just a couple of months. Eighteen months passed until I finally got the card and it was approved 6 days after my 2nd wedding anniversary. I had been checking with them to see if anything had come back and was simply told no. They had messed my fingerprints up twice and I believe after that I was literally put on the backburner and forgotten about. I think I was then discovered when someone decided to do some spring cleaning. Next thing I knew I was to come back in to have a third set of fingerprints done as my other ones were then out of date. Didn't matter anyhow as the previous two were unacceptable as it was.

Timeline

There are those that have come on K1s who were given automatic 10 years cards upon approval after their 2 year anniversaries. Then there were others who when receiving the 2 year conditional card after 2 years of marriage have gone back into their local service centres to question it and the service centres corrected them.

In my case I married June 2002, had my AOS interview on December 23, 2002 along with my son. The officer approved us however couldn't officially give the seal of approval until my FBI checks came back saying it would probably be just a couple of months. Eighteen months passed until I finally got the card and it was approved 6 days after my 2nd wedding anniversary. I had been checking with them to see if anything had come back and was simply told no. They had messed my fingerprints up twice and I believe after that I was literally put on the backburner and forgotten about. I think I was then discovered when someone decided to do some spring cleaning. Next thing I knew I was to come back in to have a third set of fingerprints done as my other ones were then out of date. Didn't matter anyhow as the previous two were unacceptable as it was.

Oops I forgot to add, I see a similar post on "lifting of conditions" by the same OP and I had responded there however I will respond again here. I went in in person and spoke to one of the information officers - frontline person. She got her Supervisor. I explained the situation to her saying they must have made a mistake. Here was her response:

They told me basically they had the right to issue the 2 year card as nowhere in the law does it clearly state in black and white that after a 2 year marriage do they legally have to issue a 10 year card. They had run into this situation in the past, had checked with their lawyer on it and he told them they were within the right to issue the 2 year card so until there was something clearly written in black and white, they will keep issuing the 2 year card first no matter the length of marriage. The Supervisor also told me she was aware other immigration offices do issue a 10 year card after a 2 year marriage.

Filed: Other Timeline

no, its not a waste of money, because is some areas it can take 2 years or more for them to get around to the AOS interview, so it is best, even for a K3, to apply for AOS as soon as humanly possible.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this was his third EAD application. He already had 2 previous ones and since the last was about to expire, he sent in another renewal application. That's why he's frustrated. On another post, he mentions receiving his approval notice after just getting back from mailing the EAD renewal application. I would be annoyed too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the OP is annoyed at not getting a 10 year card, which in this case would tell me that the EAD is the least thing he's thinking about at the moment.

For any immigrant, the EAD is an investment.

Edited by dmartmar

Timeline

Yes. dmartmar,

The OP is annoyed at not getting a 10 year card, however, just having sent off the EAD application with $180 fee for the renewal card is kind of like rubbing salt in the 'wound' of not getting the 10 year card. Perhaps he might be able to talk them into changing their minds through an email or an infopass. It is worth a try, and if it doesn't work, well, that's life.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hi all

I just thought that I would clarify some things. Firstly, dmartmar, Yes I agree with you, having a GC is a privelege and not a right. Yes i was annoyed that i didn't get a ten year GC, not because I felt cheated, but because ifeel that there a lack of consistency in the way things are done. It seems to me that a lot of decisions made on applications are probably based on how the immgration is feel that day. If there was set guidlines as to what we are to receive and when it would probably cut a lot problems/ expectations. Aslo If you had look at my timeline in my signature you would see that i was applying for my 3rd EAD when I was approved for my GC. I felt that was awaste of money because i won't be seeing any of that $180 back, I would not suprise me that in about 2 and a half months i will have a new EAD, because either nobody has looked to see if my GC has been approved or Chicago part of the USCIS does not know that California part has approved my GC. Aslo what do you mean by EAd is an investment, I have 2 EAD I have not been able to get a job, I have now gone back to college to retrain.

Rich

K1- Fiancee visa Petition
07/14/03 - Sent Fiance K-1 petition to TSC.
03/01/04 - Visa APPROVED in 231 days
04/22/04 - We got MARRIED
I-485 AOS & EAD
05/26/04 - EAD1 and AOS forms sent to Atlanta District Office
06/26/04 - Biometrics
08/03/04 - EAD1 Approved
12/18/04 - RFE AOS Application
05/13/05 - EAD2 Applied for
07/22/05 - EAD2 Approved
09/19/05 - AOS Application transfered to CSC
04/22/06 - Married 2 years
05/22/06 - EAD3 Applied for
05/22/06 - AOS Approved in 726 Days
I-751 Removal of Conditions
03/04/08 - Application sent to TSC
03/08/08 - Application Received
03/12/08 - Check cashed
03/20/08 - Transfered to VSC
04/19/08 - Biometrics taken
05/02/08 - Infopass app @ Atlanta Passport stamped for 1yr
02/23/09 - Green Card Ordered
02/26/09 - APPROVAL Email (361 Days)
02/28/09 - Green Card arrived!

I have post this elsewhere

I finally recieved my green card yesterday after wait ing exactly 2 years. The green card that they have sent is a 2 yr conditional one. My question is this, my card was approved with out interview by the California SC and we have been married over two years on the date of approval so shouldn't the green card be a full 10 yrs. Can anyone help or do I need to post elsewhere.

Rich

Hello There. We, my filipino wife and I, have the same problem as you. BUT, we have yet to receive an approval. Our AOS was sent to Atlanta July, 2004 and we were transferred to CSC Sept, 2005. Our marriage was June 22, 2004.

I noticed that you ask for a referal on May 5, 2006. Then you got action!!! What is a referal??? Should we do the same???

WE called the HELP line and were told that it was a decision that the CSC would make as to receiving a CGC or PGC if there was no interview. However if an interview is made then the chances of receiving a PGC was good if the interview was two years after the marriage.

Congratulations on the approval.

October 22nd 2009 at 2:00 P.M. OATH COMPLETED

Oct. 22 9:05 A.M. Atlanta interview date for naturalization

Aug. 15 Received YELLOW LETTER, we are to bring to the interview state driver's license

Aug. 6, 2009 N.O.A. fingerprint appointment

June 29, 2009 Notice receipt date and priority date

June 25, 2009 Filed for naturalization

April 30, 2008 Filed for John's dual citizenship

April 24, 2008 JOHN BORN

Dec. 18, 2007 Completed first semester, an 'A' average

Sept. 21, 2007 Doctor reported, "your wife is two months with child"

Aug. 22, 2007 rose starts college

May 09, 2007 rose receives license to drive and drives us home.

Jan. 24, 2007 returned to Alabama

Dec. 28, 2007 remarried in Philippines, I promised her a Filipino wedding

Nov. 27, 2006 returned to Philippines

Aug. 01, 2006 rose receives P.G.C., no interviews here, no conditional card

July 25, 2006 received email - Approval

July 18, 2006 mailed update

July 07, 2006 R.F.E, update on income

June 26, 2006 We mailed hand-written letter requesting status of A.O.S.

Jan. 24, 2006 Biometrics completed, again

Nov. 02, 2005 R.F.E.

Sept. 20, 2005 A.O.S. transferred to C.S.C.

April 11, 2005 JAMES, BORN

July 22, 2004 A.O.S. receipt date, Atlanta

June 22, 2004 married

June 10, 2004 rose arrives in Alabama

May 23, 2004 Visa arrives

May 05, 2004 Embassy interview

Feb. 03, 2004 I-129 approved

Sept. 03, 2003 I-129 receipt date

Aug. 16, 2003 met Rose in Cebu

Jan. 20, 2003 mailed letter to her and waited

Jan. 20, 2003 read Rose's profile on website

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this was his third EAD application. He already had 2 previous ones and since the last was about to expire, he sent in another renewal application. That's why he's frustrated. On another post, he mentions receiving his approval notice after just getting back from mailing the EAD renewal application. I would be annoyed too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the OP is annoyed at not getting a 10 year card, which in this case would tell me that the EAD is the least thing he's thinking about at the moment.

For any immigrant, the EAD is an investment.

Thank you Katherine for filling in

I-485 AOS & EAD
06/26/04 - Biometrics
08/03/04 - EAD1 Approved
07/22/05 - EAD2 Approved
03/12/08 - Check cashed

Hello There. We, my filipino wife and I, have the same problem as you. BUT, we have yet to receive an approval. Our AOS was sent to Atlanta July, 2004 and we were transferred to CSC Sept, 2005. Our marriage was June 22, 2004.

I noticed that you ask for a referal on May 5, 2006. Then you got action!!! What is a referal??? Should we do the same???

WE called the HELP line and were told that it was a decision that the CSC would make as to receiving a CGC or PGC if there was no interview. However if an interview is made then the chances of receiving a PGC was good if the interview was two years after the marriage.

Congratulations on the approval.

Hi,

Yes I got action after i called and asked fror a referal to be put on my case, but i cannot say that my approval was linked to that. You can do the same, but it will depend on the last notification that you got from the USCIS. They would be very reluctant to put a referalon you case if you just had a notice from them. usual you have to wait 30 days past the waiting period on the last notification from USCIS before they would put a referal on a case.

Hope this helps

Rich

I-485 AOS & EAD
06/26/04 - Biometrics
08/03/04 - EAD1 Approved
07/22/05 - EAD2 Approved
03/12/08 - Check cashed

Rich,

What does "Chicago part of the USCIS" got to do with it? I-765 is processed by the National Benefits Center in Missouri (which has a Chicago mailing address).

Yodrak

... I felt that was awaste of money because i won't be seeing any of that $180 back, I would not suprise me that in about 2 and a half months i will have a new EAD, because either nobody has looked to see if my GC has been approved or Chicago part of the USCIS does not know that California part has approved my GC. ....

Rich

Rich,

What does "Chicago part of the USCIS" got to do with it? I-765 is processed by the National Benefits Center in Missouri (which has a Chicago mailing address).

Yodrak

... I felt that was awaste of money because i won't be seeing any of that $180 back, I would not suprise me that in about 2 and a half months i will have a new EAD, because either nobody has looked to see if my GC has been approved or Chicago part of the USCIS does not know that California part has approved my GC. ....

Rich

Sorry I didn't realise that it was the same place, What I mean't was,that where ever the EAD is approved ( I assume the NBC with the chicago Lock box address is it) might not know that the CSC has approved my Green. I my experience with Goverment agencies it is very rare that the left hand knows what the right hand has done.

I-485 AOS & EAD
06/26/04 - Biometrics
08/03/04 - EAD1 Approved
07/22/05 - EAD2 Approved
03/12/08 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.