SilverShadow

I751 waiver interview scheduled

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'd like to get your opinion on my I751 case. I was married to a US Citizen in 2000. I got my 1st green card in May 2001. We both applied jointly to lift conditions in March of 2003. I never got a reply from USCIS until 2005 they sent me a notice telling me my case was transferred to California office. I did so many inquiries via phone, fax, congressman... nothing worked, they kept on telling me that my case still pending. FYI i got separated from my wife in November of 2003 due to constant abuse, but got divorced in 2005. I talked to an immigration lawyer who suggested that i should re-file a waiver since they didn't approve me before my divorce. I re-applied for a waiver based on good faith marriage last july of 2007 (I didn't apply immediately after my divorce because I never knew that i should refile another application until y lawyer advised me to do so). They sent me a notice for interview next week. I'm going with my lawyer & will list what i got as documents.

- Letter from our marriage counselor stating that we were seeing him for counseling to save our marriage.

- Police report dated of 2003. (she abused me one night & I called the cops)

- Lease showing both our names.

- Joint bank account letter.

- Old mails showing my address since 2000 including my job pay checks.

- Pics of our vacation together in Florida

- Few cards she gave me on occasions like birthdays, valentine's...

- Car registration showing us as owners.

- Bill of Sale of the car we owned together showing both our names.

- Fitness Club agreement membership with both names.

- Joint Tax transcript for 2001 showing our names. ( I couldn't get tax transcript for 2000, or 2002 coz they're older than 5 years ago & IRS couldn't send them to me)

- Bank statements showing our names.

- Engagement diamond ring receipt which i bought her.

So my question if you don't mind, do you think I have enough evidence for my interview? My attorney said i shouldn't worry much, but I want to get your opinion since you've been posting & helping people on the forum.

Thank you.

Woh, long journey. Good luck. Sounds like you should be fine. They kept you on shelf probably because of letter from spouse, etc. There is something in your file. Best wishes!!!

Hello,

I'd like to get your opinion on my I751 case. I was married to a US Citizen in 2000. I got my 1st green card in May 2001. We both applied jointly to lift conditions in March of 2003. I never got a reply from USCIS until 2005 they sent me a notice telling me my case was transferred to California office. I did so many inquiries via phone, fax, congressman... nothing worked, they kept on telling me that my case still pending. FYI i got separated from my wife in November of 2003 due to constant abuse, but got divorced in 2005. I talked to an immigration lawyer who suggested that i should re-file a waiver since they didn't approve me before my divorce. I re-applied for a waiver based on good faith marriage last july of 2007 (I didn't apply immediately after my divorce because I never knew that i should refile another application until y lawyer advised me to do so). They sent me a notice for interview next week. I'm going with my lawyer & will list what i got as documents.

- Letter from our marriage counselor stating that we were seeing him for counseling to save our marriage.

- Joint Tax transcript for 2001 showing our names. ( I couldn't get tax transcript for 2000, or 2002 coz they're older than 5 years ago & IRS couldn't send them to me)

So my question if you don't mind, do you think I have enough evidence for my interview? My attorney said i shouldn't worry much, but I want to get your opinion since you've been posting & helping people on the forum.

Thank you.

Karina and Tomy

Hello Russian Armenian,

Well thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I don't think that my spouse sent a letter because she wouldn't do it & she doesn't have any interest in doing so. After too many inquiries through my senator's office, they told me (senator's staff) that my case was stuck for a name check. Anyway, I'm going to the interview friday & hopefully everything will go smooth. I'm taking my lawyer with me as well. Wish me good luck.

God bless.

Woh, long journey. Good luck. Sounds like you should be fine. They kept you on shelf probably because of letter from spouse, etc. There is something in your file. Best wishes!!!

Hello,

Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Well keep us posted.

I filed for a waiver as well, but I did it right after I divorced...so practically I have two cases pending...we'll see.

Good luck...you have plenty of evidence in my eyes, just be calm and remember all your details during your marriage, separation and subsequence divorce.

Hello Cherr,

I will difinitely keep you updated. I'll have my interview tomorrow. I just came back from the IRS office with 2 more tax transcripts. So I got a total of 3 tax return transcripts. I'm a little worried though.

I hope that your case will be settled soon because this whole immigration process is very stressful. I've been dealing with it for 8 years now.

Wish me good luck guys.

God bless.

Well keep us posted.

I filed for a waiver as well, but I did it right after I divorced...so practically I have two cases pending...we'll see.

Good luck...you have plenty of evidence in my eyes, just be calm and remember all your details during your marriage, separation and subsequence divorce.

Cherr1980,

Have withdrew the old I-751? I think lawyers always send a letter with a new application about withdrewing the old one. If there an interview, they will ask to do so right away before they can approve. But I am not sure how important it is. I wish you good luck!

Well keep us posted.

Karina and Tomy

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hello Cherr,

I will difinitely keep you updated. I'll have my interview tomorrow. I just came back from the IRS office with 2 more tax transcripts. So I got a total of 3 tax return transcripts. I'm a little worried though.

I hope that your case will be settled soon because this whole immigration process is very stressful. I've been dealing with it for 8 years now.

Wish me good luck guys.

God bless.

Well keep us posted.

hi i was wondering how ur interview went any good news ?

Hi iam new in this website , i need some information and help , my green card will expire in March and i want to Remove condition , and iam getting divorce from my wife , i filed for divorce and iam still waiting for the court date i was wondering if i can file by my self or hire immigration attorney to take my case ? i need help guys i apreciate that ,

Hi iam new in this website , i need some information and help , my green card will expire in March and i want to Remove condition , and iam getting divorce from my wife , i filed for divorce and iam still waiting for the court date i was wondering if i can file by my self or hire immigration attorney to take my case ? i need help guys i apreciate that ,

Hello Cherr,

Wish me good luck guys.

God bless.

Well keep us posted.

Hello guys,

Sorry if if i was kinda late to report on my interview experience. Well my interview was scheduled at 9:30AM. I got there around 8:30 & waited for my lawyer who didn't show up until 9:25AM!! I turned my interview letter to the receptionist at trhe window & waited for my name to be called. After 15 min my name was called in by an immigration officer. We got in as i noticed there were 2 officers so i got really nervous. But i think the other one was on training because she was showing her the process. They walked us to her desk & asked me o raise my right hand & swear that i will tell the truth & nothing but the truth. We sat down and she asked about my passport & driver's license. She started reading my file & going through pages slowly then she asked me why our marriage has failed, so i answered that things didn't work out & got really bad to the pint where i had to leave so i can preserve my safety since my wife was a little abusive. Then she asked when we separated (2003), she asked about my taxes from 2000 to 2003. I had only 3 tax transcripts from 2000 to 2002 so my lawyer handed them over to her, she asked about our marriage counseling why didn't work out, then asked about the police report what happened that day( FYI, it was me who called the cops in ancident & got police report), then she asked me if we have any kids which i said no, she asked about our residential lease i had only lease that was dated of 2003 she asked me about the previous years from 2000, i said i only grabbed what i had when i was leaving the appartment, i didn't have other years lease my lawyer jumped in & he said it was a renewal lease & we didn't get other years from landlord but i showed her too many old mail dated since 1999 at the same address she looked at them, then she asked about our divorce decree coz it was a clerical error on my ex wife's first name but the court corrected the mistake & sent me another decree showing the correct name, she asked me about the original one with the error, i told her i didn't bring it with me since it had an error & i brought only the good one. She asked me a tricky questions where i lived in 2001 & 2002 which i answered right away at the correct address of our old appartment. Then she asked me about my 2003 tax return status if it was filed married, married but filed seperately, or single? I anwered single coz the person who did my taxes made a mistakei remember telling him i want to file married but seperate since i left my house & we were seperated but he filed as single for me so i explained to her & she didn't say any word. I just didn't want to lie since that's the truth. BTW all my tax returns 2000, 2001, 2002 were filed jointly as married except 2003 coz i was seperated when i filed. So at the end she asked her trainee to make copies of my I551 stamped passport along with my driver's license. Then she said we're done, she said they will mail me their decision by December. The whole interview took like 25 min. My lawyer said that i was calm & answered her questions very good. He said this office always tell people they will mail their answer but he said I should be approved because we have all the supporting documents & we didn't have any problem at the interview.

Sorry if it was too long but just want to tell my experience as i pormised. I just hope i will get approved coz i was i this mess since 2003!!

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
Hello Cherr,

Wish me good luck guys.

God bless.

Well keep us posted.

Hello guys,

Sorry if if i was kinda late to report on my interview experience. Well my interview was scheduled at 9:30AM. I got there around 8:30 & waited for my lawyer who didn't show up until 9:25AM!! I turned my interview letter to the receptionist at trhe window & waited for my name to be called. After 15 min my name was called in by an immigration officer. We got in as i noticed there were 2 officers so i got really nervous. But i think the other one was on training because she was showing her the process. They walked us to her desk & asked me o raise my right hand & swear that i will tell the truth & nothing but the truth. We sat down and she asked about my passport & driver's license. She started reading my file & going through pages slowly then she asked me why our marriage has failed, so i answered that things didn't work out & got really bad to the pint where i had to leave so i can preserve my safety since my wife was a little abusive. Then she asked when we separated (2003), she asked about my taxes from 2000 to 2003. I had only 3 tax transcripts from 2000 to 2002 so my lawyer handed them over to her, she asked about our marriage counseling why didn't work out, then asked about the police report what happened that day( FYI, it was me who called the cops in ancident & got police report), then she asked me if we have any kids which i said no, she asked about our residential lease i had only lease that was dated of 2003 she asked me about the previous years from 2000, i said i only grabbed what i had when i was leaving the appartment, i didn't have other years lease my lawyer jumped in & he said it was a renewal lease & we didn't get other years from landlord but i showed her too many old mail dated since 1999 at the same address she looked at them, then she asked about our divorce decree coz it was a clerical error on my ex wife's first name but the court corrected the mistake & sent me another decree showing the correct name, she asked me about the original one with the error, i told her i didn't bring it with me since it had an error & i brought only the good one. She asked me a tricky questions where i lived in 2001 & 2002 which i answered right away at the correct address of our old appartment. Then she asked me about my 2003 tax return status if it was filed married, married but filed seperately, or single? I anwered single coz the person who did my taxes made a mistakei remember telling him i want to file married but seperate since i left my house & we were seperated but he filed as single for me so i explained to her & she didn't say any word. I just didn't want to lie since that's the truth. BTW all my tax returns 2000, 2001, 2002 were filed jointly as married except 2003 coz i was seperated when i filed. So at the end she asked her trainee to make copies of my I551 stamped passport along with my driver's license. Then she said we're done, she said they will mail me their decision by December. The whole interview took like 25 min. My lawyer said that i was calm & answered her questions very good. He said this office always tell people they will mail their answer but he said I should be approved because we have all the supporting documents & we didn't have any problem at the interview.

Sorry if it was too long but just want to tell my experience as i pormised. I just hope i will get approved coz i was i this mess since 2003!!

Thank you for your help.

Hi Guys , i have couple questions : my 2 years green card will expire in March 2009 and iam getting divorce from my wife , iam excepting my divorce by the end of October , Her and I we got the Mortgage for the house together and Vehicle , including bills , pics , tax returns , our trip together ...., any body here with experience through divorce and what happen to them after they file , my lawyer told me she will file my I -751 by January , i want to know what will happen then , and by the way the reason why iam getting divorce she cheated on me and she like to drink a lot and i cant leave my life like that with somebody stupid .

thanks guys i apreciate that .

Well keep us posted.

What do you mean, two cases pending?

Sorry did not meant to confuse anyone...I said "two cases pending" because in my portfolio both are still "received and pending" that's all...but it's the/should be the same one since is the same A-number on it and my name, I just don't know which date they will choose to process my file!...I filed my first I-751 while married and then after divorce I refile a new I-751 but I change my name back to my maiden name.

Yes, I did put a letter explaining that I married, I filed on a timely manner my joint petition with my ex husband on DEC 2007 but then we divorced (several issues arised etc etc) and I put in the letter that I was withdrawing the joint previous petition and refiling a new one with a waiver. I actually include copies of my NOA of my previous filed and put notes everywhere. I received everything with my new name at my new address and everything without problems. I actually have enter in and out of the US multiple times without major problems except twice (including a week ago) that the guy was lazy enough saying.."are you Smith or Chandelier? there are so many names here...", duh! yeah because I divorced and I change my name".they sometimes sent me to check P (passport)..but nothing major really. I just wonder that I filed a joint petition on Dec 2007 and then I refiled on July 2008. So it's like a big different in dates.

I carry a stamp valid until Jan 31, 2009. I made an INFOPASS for the 27th...will see.

Cherr1980,

Have withdrew the old I-751? I think lawyers always send a letter with a new application about withdrewing the old one. If there an interview, they will ask to do so right away before they can approve. But I am not sure how important it is. I wish you good luck!

Well keep us posted.

Thanks russian-arminan...yes I did so. I did not use a lawyer, I just went for consulation and talked and showed my evidence and he explained me pretty well the facts and what was needed to do...plus in several forums including this got plenty of help and support.

Safwan,

You are accepting your divorce? what you meant by that?...you mean will be final? If your divorce is final before the January deadline you don't need to wait until it...you can file once you get your divorce decree regardless if it's before January.

by the way in divorce remember that your financial responsbilities (since you have a joint mortgage and auto loan most probably) do not end...be sure to talk with a divorce lawyer and/or your financial advisor about it if you needed it.

SilverShadow,

Hey keep us posted...in two months and see if you got your approval in the mail...don't know WHY has to be December??? jeezz. Well I am confident that everything should be straight up with you.

Good luck!!!!

Edited by cherr1980

Timeline
Safwan,

You are accepting your divorce? what you meant by that?...you mean will be final? If your divorce is final before the January deadline you don't need to wait until it...you can file once you get your divorce decree regardless if it's before January.

by the way in divorce remember that your financial responsbilities (since you have a joint mortgage and auto loan most probably) do not end...be sure to talk with a divorce lawyer and/or your financial advisor about it if you needed it.

SilverShadow,

Hey keep us posted...in two months and see if you got your approval in the mail...don't know WHY has to be December??? jeezz. Well I am confident that everything should be straight up with you.

Good luck!!!!

Hi Cherr 1980 , thanks for ur replay to me i appericiate it , yes hopefully i will get my divorce over by the end of October , i dont understand what u meant by Financial responsibilities ? and i have to talk with divorce lawyer or my financial advisor i dont understand that ? can u explain to me please about that situation thanks .

Safwan,

SilverShadow,

Good luck!!!!

Hi Cherr 1980 , thanks for ur replay to me i appericiate it , yes hopefully i will get my divorce over by the end of October , i dont understand what u meant by Financial responsibilities ? and i have to talk with divorce lawyer or my financial advisor i dont understand that ? can u explain to me please about that situation thanks .

Safwan,

SilverShadow,

Good luck!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.