tampajamica

US citizen and naturalized father; Can the son become naturalized before the 5 year waiting period?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello guys. I have a query which i hope u know the answer to. Alright, my son who is 16 has been filed for (and approved-currently at the consulate) by my USC wife. I am now naturalized. Since I am now a USC can he file for naturalization as child of a biological USC parent without waiting the five years waiting time? If anybody has been in this situation let me know the answer. Anyone else can let me know their thoughts. Thanks in advance. VJ forever.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Yes. Your son may be eligible for US citizenship without waiting the five years. He has to meet the rules outlined in the N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship.

Your son can claim US citizenship if:

1) At least one parent is a US citizen (that's you); AND

2) The child regularly reside in the US in the legal and physical custody of a USC parent; AND

3) The child was lawfully admitted for permanent resident; AND

4) The child has not yet reached his/her 18th birthday; AND

5) The biological child was legitimate or legitimize while in the custody of the legitimizing parent before the child's 16th birthday; OR

6) The child was a biological child born out of wedlock & the child has not been legitimated & the child's mother naturalizes as a USC.

In your case, you will need to satisfy 1-5.

You will not have any problem with 1-3 as soon as your son arrives in the US as a permanent resident.

5 may not be a problem; the common definition is that a child is legitimate if the child was born to married parents. I am not sure what the legal definition is for US citizenship purposes. If you were married to your son's mother anytime between his birth and 16th birthday, then he is legitimate as I interpret the rule (don't rely on this - you should ask someone with more knowledge than me).

4 - Make sure you file before your son's 18th birthday - I would suggest preparing the N-600 early and then send it out the day he arrives in the US.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Yes. Your son may be eligible for US citizenship without waiting the five years. He has to meet the rules outlined in the N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship.

2) The child regularly reside in the US in the legal and physical custody of a USC parent; AND

5) The biological child was legitimate or legitimize while in the custody of the legitimizing parent before the child's 16th birthday; OR

6) The child was a biological child born out of wedlock & the child has not been legitimated & the child's mother naturalizes as a USC.

You will not have any problem with 1-3 as soon as your son arrives in the US as a permanent resident.

5 may not be a problem; the common definition is that a child is legitimate if the child was born to married parents. I am not sure what the legal definition is for US citizenship purposes. If you were married to your son's mother anytime between his birth and 16th birthday, then he is legitimate as I interpret the rule (don't rely on this - you should ask someone with more knowledge than me).

4 - Make sure you file before your son's 18th birthday - I would suggest preparing the N-600 early and then send it out the day he arrives in the US.

Thanks for your reply. My son was actually born out of wedlock.

"2) The child regularly reside in the US in the legal and physical custody of a USC parent"

Legal and Physical custody for 2 YEARS.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

"2) The child regularly reside in the US in the legal and physical custody of a USC parent"

Legal and Physical custody for 2 YEARS.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think the legal and physical custody for 2 years only applies to adopted children... if the child is his biological child, then i think he can file N600 when the child gets in the US

Edited by angel_eyes1976

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.