tatedaoudi

declaring marriage to the moroccan consulate.

37 posts in this topic

What's the reason / advantage to declaring your marriage? I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just wondering what good it will do.

Sharon,

Basically, declaring your marriage makes you recognized as his wife under Moroccan law.

It protects your rights regarding child custody, inheritance, divorce -- any of the things that pertain to wives under family law (Moudawana). For example, if your husband has property in Morocco name, say something he inherited, and he passes away, you will have no rights to inheritance unless your marriage is "recognized". Inheritance follows Islamic law. Declaring your marriage is probably most important if you will ever live in Morocco because than it would dictate child custody too.

It can only be declared if it meets the Moudawana requirements which are essentially those of an Islamic marriage.

Rebecca

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
It can only be declared if it meets the Moudawana requirements which are essentially those of an Islamic marriage.

Rebecca

So does that mean you must have been married in a mosque?

Rebecca

Jenn,

I was married in a mosque, so our marriage meets the requirements. However, my reading of the law is that a civil marriage in which the two witnesses were Muslim would meet the requirements also.

Rebecca

Timeline

Rebecca

Jenn,

I was married in a mosque, so our marriage meets the requirements. However, my reading of the law is that a civil marriage in which the two witnesses were Muslim would meet the requirements also.

Rebecca

Seems we won't meet the requirements, then. We're planning a trip to Morocco around XMas time. Do you think we would be able to have some sort of ceremony then after which we could register the marriage?

Rebecca

Jenn,

Rebecca

Seems we won't meet the requirements, then. We're planning a trip to Morocco around XMas time. Do you think we would be able to have some sort of ceremony then after which we could register the marriage?

My interpretation would be if you had an Islamic marriage, even at a mosque here, and included that with your civil certificate, it would be recognized. Again, that is just my take on it.

We received two marriage certificates, actually three. We have the civil one, which was also conducted at a mosque using the same witnesses we did for our Islamic marriage, and we have two Islamic marriage certificates, one in Arabic and one in English. It would seem to me that including an Islamic certificate in addition to the civil one would cover their requirements.

Big headache to get your marriage recognized, isn't it??? and they make you pay :)

Rebecca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
It protects your rights regarding child custody, inheritance, divorce -- any of the things that pertain to wives under family law (Moudawana). For example, if your husband has property in Morocco name, say something he inherited, and he passes away, you will have no rights to inheritance unless your marriage is "recognized". Inheritance follows Islamic law. Declaring your marriage is probably most important if you will ever live in Morocco because than it would dictate child custody too.

Let me just re-emphasize this point for anyone who's planning on living in the ME. I know a lady via one of my wives of egyptians yahoo groups. She was religiously married to an egyptian man, living in egypt. They had several children together. However, their marriage was never registered. Her husband died suddenly, and she was shocked to find herself in a battle with her inlaws re: the custody of her kids, her husband's property, their apartment, etc. I do believe she retained custody of her kids, but for more than a year, it looked like her in laws were going to get everything. It's absolutely essential to take every legal recourse to protect yourself when moving abroad, and even if one doesn't think they'll move abroad now, it can't hurt to do what you can at the present, in case circumstances change in the future.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Rebecca

Jenn,

Rebecca

My interpretation would be if you had an Islamic marriage, even at a mosque here, and included that with your civil certificate, it would be recognized. Again, that is just my take on it.

We received two marriage certificates, actually three. We have the civil one, which was also conducted at a mosque using the same witnesses we did for our Islamic marriage, and we have two Islamic marriage certificates, one in Arabic and one in English. It would seem to me that including an Islamic certificate in addition to the civil one would cover their requirements.

Big headache to get your marriage recognized, isn't it??? and they make you pay :)

Rebecca

Thanks for all the info, Rebecca! One more quick question....Are we permitted to have an Islamic marriage given that I am non-muslim?

Thanks for all the info, Rebecca! One more quick question....Are we permitted to have an Islamic marriage given that I am non-muslim?

Yes, although you are supposed to belong to one of the monotheistic faiths (Christianity, Judaism) and they may ask.

Rebecca

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone look into this, what you would do if you've been married more than 3 months? I think it's a VERY good idea to get the marriage registered. Not that I'm anticipating any problems, but what if something bad happened and I had no rights to joint property I have with my husband in Morocco or our future children (inshallah)? I definitely want to be legally recognized.

It looks like getting your marriage recognized if it took place outside of Morocco is a tough job...

http://www.wafin.com/mbureaucracy.phtml

I emailed the consulate to ask for more questions since they aren't answering their phone at the moment. I'll let you know what I find out (if anything)

Edited by kerewin21

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Im getting the documents together to send to the Morrocan consulate in New York to declare our marriage. I cant remember if it was Rebecca that mentioned this...but im wondering if you all think they want (or any of you that have done this allready), original birth certificates/ certified copies..or can i just send a photo copy? what did you all do? I emailed them but they have yet to reply.

thanks as always,

Sarah

HI Sarah, I would be interested to know how you got on with your quest as I am about to embark on the journey to marry my boyfriend who lives in Oujda.I am currently collecting information regarding this matter,if you could help me in any way i would be very greatfull. I live in Devon Uk.

Many thanks Ali.

Timeline

Dear all,

i am totally lost on this...

we had planned on declaring our marriage w/ the consulate for all reasons listed above, but were under the impression that my husband had to register for a "consular card" first. we did that... 5 months ago... and the consulate still hasn't sent us anything. we call, we e-mail, but have received nothing. (i know they received the package b/c i sent it priority mail w/ a tracking number.)

any advice?

likewise, we were married civilly and religiously here in the US in a mosque, but the imam told us we didn't need a paper for the consulate, so now we have no proof of the witnesses! :wacko:

i am at a total loss.

has anyone had any luck actually speaking w/ someone from the consulate on the phone?

thanks so much for your help,

hz

Edited by AlHayatZween

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline

I have but that is at the embassy/consulate here in the DC. Maybe try calling them and let them know you have been unable to get any response from NYC in x number of months. You may just want to go there to the actual office - I've had the best luck that way.

Edited by MrsAmera

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

We went through this. My wife (the then-Moroccan) hated it, and the Consulate.

Anyway, she called them and they gave us a list of things we needed. What I can remember off the top of my head was our US marriage certificate, my conversion letter, and the letter we got from a mosque stating we were "Islamically" married. And money, in a money order (forget how much). We FedExed the stuff there, then they USPS Expressed it back to us after a couple weeks on our dime. Now we have a shiny piece of paper we can show to idiot hotel clerks so we can stay in a room together over there.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline
We went through this. My wife (the then-Moroccan) hated it, and the Consulate.

Anyway, she called them and they gave us a list of things we needed. What I can remember off the top of my head was our US marriage certificate, my conversion letter, and the letter we got from a mosque stating we were "Islamically" married. And money, in a money order (forget how much). We FedExed the stuff there, then they USPS Expressed it back to us after a couple weeks on our dime. Now we have a shiny piece of paper we can show to idiot hotel clerks so we can stay in a room together over there.

:lol::lol::thumbs:

I have but that is at the embassy/consulate here in the DC. Maybe try calling them and let them know you have been unable to get any response from NYC in x number of months. You may just want to go there to the actual office - I've had the best luck that way.

Thanks, MrsAmera...

i am at my wits end... my husband on the other hand is much calmer about the whole thing.

i don't think he realizes what a pain in the butt the whole thing is going to be once we go back to Morocco inchallah.

i will keep trying...

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline

Yes mine was the same way until the end - now he's just as frustrated as I am! Also if you don't get the marriage registered before you have a child it gets even more messy. :(

Edited by MrsAmera

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.