tatedaoudi

declaring marriage to the moroccan consulate.

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Yes mine was the same way until the end - now he's just as frustrated as I am! Also if you don't get the marriage registered before you have a child it gets even more messy. :(

absolutely!

besides children, it could get really messy just when he goes to renew his passport

sometimes i just wish i could write a letter to King Mohammed VI and tell him the consulate in NY is doing a lousey job! :angry:

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Hi MENA friends,

We are going to the consulate on Thursday to see if we can straighten out a) my husband's registration w/ the consulate and B) our marriage papers.

Will let you know how it works out!

Thanks,

hz

love0038.gif

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline

Just following up again.

i actually managed to get the consulate on the phone this morning, where a woman told me, that they no longer validate marriages here in the US. :blink::blink: then she transfered me to another woman, who said she'd call me back (it's 3:30 and still no phone call).

then i received this e-mail from the consulate... anyone care to interpret?

Hi there,

Your partner has to register your marriage in Morocco by the local authorities.

Regards

This is all to say that we are not going to the consulate tomorrow... i'm going to keep trying to get more information.... maybe we will go next week.

love0038.gif

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Ah, I found this after changing the words in Search.

So,... anyone find out anything?

We were married in 2007, but not Islamically. We don't have any children yet, but hope to some day (inchalla). His passport expires in 9 months.

Just wondering what we need to do, how to do it, and when....

thanks for any information

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm curious too. I haven't seen any "success" stories so far of anyone registering their marriage at the consulate. I did notice that on the consulate's website, that section is completely gone, so they must not do it anymore!

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Timeline

Call the Consulate in Washington DC - > (202) 457-0012 or 202.462.7979 and ask them about registration for new immigrants. Youssef did register and get his consular card, also his new CIN, and our marriage registered. We are now working on getting Khalil's birth registered.

You can not renew your passport, update your CIN, register your wedding or birth of child before registering with the embassy/consulate.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• 2 years later...

Dear VJ members,

I have been reading about this topic for a while now and couldn't help notice many of the comments and responses in this forum about getting married within the Islamic religion and Laws, even though some of the people here also have asked on what to do when you are or getting married to a US citizen. What's next and what to do in an Islamic country or in a Mosque within a foreigner country..is your husband or wife Christian, Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist etc...

For the last couple of years I've been hearing some crazy stuff around here about religion and Citizenship from different people, I finally realize that the same law will apply to every case within the US and varies from a foreigner Country to another.

I've perhaps read most Holly Books from the " Koran (Arabic, al-Qur'an) " to the " Old & New Testament " and " Talmud " and it seems to me that they all fall within the same Law with some minor changes due to cultural backgrounds, Lands and people.

I always believed and still do, that I shall respect everyone Else's religion and understand the purpose behind their believes and practices and give them space to do so, as along as there is no harm to it. People should practice their religion FREELY no matter what is their races and backgrounds.

I read a book and watch a show once about some random person who use to hate "Muslims" for no reason, and Realizes after he grow older that people resented him for his behavior and got lonely. He finally admitted to himself and the world that " It was wrong ".

Let's get back to our issue here which is " What can we do to make our Marriage Legal according to the Islamic Laws " question.

Well, If you are in a Muslim Country than most likely you need to register within the " Court House " and the " Township " That you are married. and the way to do that is by Following those steps:

1) You need to provide a Location within that specific Country and prove that you lived and or your family did live there. The only person that can provide you with that is a person that the state hires to gather " Intel " for them and make sure that everything goes legally and " Truly " You were living there.

2) After you Prove that you were living within that location than you need to get your Birth Certificate from the Township " I'm assuming if you were born there than it should be there right? " Get 2 Copies just in case. Usually you have to pay stamp FEES.

3)Before you left your Home Country, You had to have an Identity Card which is required by every country once you hit certain Age " Usually 18 or 17 " in some cases 16.

4) Make Copy of everything and head to your Township so they can issue a " CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCY "

5) Once You get that Look for a " Court House ". In any Court house there is a section for " Marriages "..Go there and ask them for the required documentations to register a marriage, They usually will give you a form filled with what you need to gather and submit to them.

6) The Paperwork will include a paper that states if you are single or married. If you are single than you fill in Single, If you are married than you provide them with the " marriage certification " translated to whatever language your country speaks and writes.

7) Now, every Muslim Country has its own Laws and regulations but they are perhaps " ALL " Fall into the same thing. You take your Wife, Fiance with you to the court house and they will refer you to a person that is certified by the Court house and is allowed to perform the Ceremony. Most of the time, they'll ask for witnesses from both parties unless they can't be present from one side or the female is old enough to sign her own paperwork.." They Just want to make sure it's not a scam and that both families are aware of the marriage " I'm guessing that's not a hard thing to prove if you are really in love..A Letter from a father or a mother, friend etc...

8) The Person who will perform the ceremony will ask some basic questions for the records and wrap up everything and sign the paperwork for you.

Now, As far as the " PRIEST " " IMAM " " MOSQUE " ..etc I will not put much thoughts into that, and the reason I'm saying that is because most of those religious people will have their own version of who marries what and what's needed to make " THE CHURCH " bless your marriage.

Most people get into the trap of " AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING " " WILL MY FAMILY AGREES " " WILL PEOPLE BE HAPPY " " WILL I GO TO HEAVEN OR HELL " " SHOULD I GET MARRIED IN A CHURCH OR A MOSQUE " " SHOULD I INVITE MUSLIM, JEWISH, CHRISTIANS OR BUDDHISTS " " SHOULD I..SHOULD I "

The answer is no, you don't need to make anyone happy but follow your heart and do the right thing..The Holly Books and the prophets came to this word with positive things..make people's lives much clearer and happier..Helping people through their issue and facing their fears..But SOME humans took those thoughts and twist it around for their own benefits and also to control people.

A Priest didn't get power from anyone so is the Imam or any kind of holly man. Get your story together and believe in your faith and go marry the person you love..We are in 2012 and you need to enter every document in the records within the township so you have access to it and not in the church.

Good Luck to you all and excuse my English

Date I-129F Sent : 2006-09-28

Date I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-27

Interview Date (K1 Visa): 2006-12-12

Date K1 Visa Received :2006-12-18

Date of US Entry : 2006-12-23

Date of Wedding : 2007-01-21

Comments : For Casa, packet 3 and 4 come together, with an interview date already scheduled.

AOS Filing date : 2007-02-02

NOA date for I-485 : 2007-02-07

I-485 RFE Dates : 2007-02-16

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date: 2007-02-28

AOS Comments: Strange - we received RFE, then a few days later got email that the response had been received and the case was resumed even though we haven't sent anything yet.

I-485 Sent to CSC 2007-03-12

RFE for Medical Examination mailed 05-31-2007

medical examination sent 06-27-2007

Case resumed on 07-13-2007

email "card production ordered" 07-18-2007

email “notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident” 07-19-2007

email “approval notice sent” and welcome letter received 07-23-2007

Green card received 07-26-2007

EAD Filed Date: 2007-02-02

EAD NOA Date : 2007-02-07

EAD Biometrics Appointment Date : 2007-02-28

EAD received 04-16-07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.