tatedaoudi

declaring marriage to the moroccan consulate.

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Im getting the documents together to send to the Morrocan consulate in New York to declare our marriage. I cant remember if it was Rebecca that mentioned this...but im wondering if you all think they want (or any of you that have done this allready), original birth certificates/ certified copies..or can i just send a photo copy? what did you all do? I emailed them but they have yet to reply.

thanks as always,

Sarah

Sarah and Otman

Naturalization interview: August 25th

Oath Ceremony: September 17th!!! woo hoo.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi sarah,

please let me know what you find. My husband just went last week and they said it wasn't necessary to register with them and the the information on the website was incorrect. I was furious, but my husband did what they said. I'd be curious to know if they give you some sort of confirmation for this.

otherwise, I am sorry i don't have any other info to share.

best,

prena

We sent in birth certificate copies and have not heard back.

We were told that it isn't "necessary" unless you want your marriage "official" in Morocco. It is written in the Moudawana that is must be done in order to have your marriage recognized, so I don't think the information on the website is incorrect because than the the entire section of law would be incorrect.

Rebecca

Edited by rhouni

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

tatedaoudi

Sorry if I hijack your post. I have similar issue, Only thing is that I am still yet to go there. I am planning to travel to Morocco this summer and wed my fiancée

God willing. Since many of you have gone through this, can you help? We are hoping to have our ‘aqd over there. What are some of the documents Moroccan authorities require for US citizens to have, how long does it?

I heard that some of the documents they require are birth certificate and celibacy certificate “not currently married”

Help…

Timeline

09/2006..............................Get married

10/2006..............................Filed I-130

11/2006...............................Filed I-129

02/2007...............................Approved

04/2007...............................Interview'

04/2007................................221g . Case returned for review

11/2007...............................USCIS lost the file

------------------------------------------------------------

05/2008.........................Sent new I-130

09/2008.........................Approved

09/2008.........................Got first packet from NVC

03/2009......................... Case approved again and sent to Casa

05/2009............................Interview appointment

05/2009.............................Visa in hand

Jun/jully...............................At home....hopping

Timeline

Hi there Abbas.

To get married in Morocco, the US citizen needs a few things. From my experience it varies in the area of Morocco you are in.

Generally you need:

Birth Certificate, translated (you can do that in morocco)

Passport

(also bring your drivers/id)- some areas ask for your "national identity" which is a European thing

Intent to marry- written by the fiance stating that they are legal and able to marry: its done at a office..they have them in every town, I cant think of what their job or title is, but they type legal documents.

My husband and I tried to get married in Essaouria and it was a nightmare of papers. The Officals in Essaouria asked me in addition for:

Working paper- declaration of what my job is in the states, translated.

Celebratory paper- which is something that they want from the Consulate it basically says that you are unmarried: the US consualte in Casablanca doenst issue these. This is where my problem was, the Moroccan Government wanted this paper and the US consuate doesnt produce it...it was mayhem back and forth from the consulate to Essaouria.

Religion decloration: a written paper from my church stating my membership, that I was baptized, confirmed..etc.

im trying to remember everything else they asked for...it was crazy and it took us almost 4 months to gather the papers only to have the officals say it wasnt enough...then after we filed for the fiance visa and get married in the states we were contacted saying that our papers were now ready and we could go to the court in Essaouria. RIDICULOUS.

im rambling. anyhow, I think im the only one here that tried to get married in Essaouria, other people got married in other cities and didnt have the same trouble, nor were they required to have the same documents.

Im not sure if my input is helpful...but I would try to have all the things I brought just in case.

maybe some other ladies that got married in Morocco could give their list.

Good Luck,

Sarah

Sarah and Otman

Naturalization interview: August 25th

Oath Ceremony: September 17th!!! woo hoo.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks Sarah! I really appreciate you input.

My fiancée lives in Oujda (Eastern Morocco). I don’t know if all cities require the same documents. However, when of the documents they require as my fiancée told me is the celebratory paper. How can I get this if the US consulate does not issue it as Sarah said? Also, I am a naturalized U.S citizen. Do they want my birth certificate of my home country “which I don’t have now” or just my naturalization certificate?

Guys I need your help……. Anybody?

Timeline

09/2006..............................Get married

10/2006..............................Filed I-130

11/2006...............................Filed I-129

02/2007...............................Approved

04/2007...............................Interview'

04/2007................................221g . Case returned for review

11/2007...............................USCIS lost the file

------------------------------------------------------------

05/2008.........................Sent new I-130

09/2008.........................Approved

09/2008.........................Got first packet from NVC

03/2009......................... Case approved again and sent to Casa

05/2009............................Interview appointment

05/2009.............................Visa in hand

Jun/jully...............................At home....hopping

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Abdou and I have not done this yet, not sure we will.

Abbas, we went the K-1 route but I only supplied them with certified copies of my Embassy papers of my birth in England. The SF240 was sufficient. I know they told me not to supply my birth certificate as it states or proves I was born in England. We made it through the K-1 process just with my embassy papers and my passport too showing I'm a US citizen. My circumstances may be different than yours since I was born to American Citizens abroad. If you have naturalization papers, you can use that. I'm not real sure about the K-3 process. Good Luck.

Doreen :D

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I had to take in a signed paper stating that I belong to a Christian religion as well as the other documents. I didn't need a paper of celibacy, but my divorce decree, since I was previously married.

Plan on several weeks of work and extra money to grease palms. They do things very differently there!

Good luck.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Hello, last night,i was reading a book about the new's law for family here in Morocco and i found an answer to your question.the new moudawana said in article 15: if some moroccan contract their marriage outside the country and want to declare their marriage,they have to send a copy of their marriage to the nearest moroccan consulate less than 3 months.if there is no moroccan consulate in their country where they live they have to send it to the moroccan department of foreign affairs less than 3 months.this department gonna send the copy to the family court in Rabat.i hope i answer your question if you want more infornations let me now.GOOD LUCK

picture.gifMY LOVE MY SOULMATE MY NOURA.

Filed: Other Timeline
Hello, last night,i was reading a book about the new's law for family here in Morocco and i found an answer to your question.the new moudawana said in article 15: if some moroccan contract their marriage outside the country and want to declare their marriage,they have to send a copy of their marriage to the nearest moroccan consulate less than 3 months.if there is no moroccan consulate in their country where they live they have to send it to the moroccan department of foreign affairs less than 3 months.this department gonna send the copy to the family court in Rabat.i hope i answer your question if you want more infornations let me now.GOOD LUCK

what if its been more than 3 months? :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

At least in Egypt, if you didn't register it within 6 months, you had to pay an extra fee. We went to the Chicago consulate 2 days shy of 6 months :lol:

We could have sent everything in the mail, but knowing Egyptian beuracracy, we didn't trust them with husband's passport etc. I'm still peeved that they won't put me on his passport though. Only egyptian wives get that :ranting:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

what if its been more than 3 months? :(

Prena,

I think you submit it anyway and they make a determination. Here is a translation of the Moudawana http://www.globalrights.org/site/DocServer....pdf?docID=3106

Articles 15 and 16 address the issue (page 10).

Rebecca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Rebecca,

You are a wealth of information.... :yes::thumbs: Thanks for all your input!

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

What's the reason / advantage to declaring your marriage? I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just wondering what good it will do.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Timeline
What's the reason / advantage to declaring your marriage? I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just wondering what good it will do.

Good question, i was thinking the same thing. What are the potential disadvatnges to not declaring your marriage in Morocco?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.