iwannaleave

N-400 and speeding tickets

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Botswana
Timeline

Hi all,

I need some help from those of you that recently submitted this form. I keep getting conflicting information about this topic. Do I need to include speeding tickets in the N-400 form? Thank you for your help! =)

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer

(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi all,

I need some help from those of you that recently submitted this form. I keep getting conflicting information about this topic. Do I need to include speeding tickets in the N-400 form? Thank you for your help! =)

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer

Speeding tickets are an infraction. Only misdemeanor and felony violations of the law are to be reported. Just make sure you pay the ticket.

I-751 (Removal of conditions)

03-18-07 filled for removal of conditions

04-09-07 received notice of action

04-13-07 received biometrics appointment

05-01-07 biometrics appointment

05-08-07 received status card is in production

05-10-07 received status approval letter has been sent

05-14-07 received new 10 year permanent resident card in mail.

06-15-08 Applied for Naturalization

11-07-08 Naturalization Interview

01-29-09 Oath Ceremony

DONE!

Hi all,

This has been discussed multiple times.

Traffic tickets including speed ticket is considered as citation.

So "yes".

But you can add explanation that it is because of speed tickets.

When you read N-400 instructions, it says fine over $500 or DUI related one can be a problem.

I did answer "yes" for that one, and interview officer asked whether there is any DUI or something like that.

I said "No", then he proceed to next question.

He didn't even ask for DMV driving record, or ticket/fine receipt.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi all,

Sounds like you should work on not getting caught, do you look out the window, and that is what you have mirrors for. It's crazy, DHS spent huge amounts of money on police forces to protect us against terrorists, all they have to do is to issue traffic tickets, we were lucky to get three uncover cop cars in town that are handing out tickets like crazy. Many towns enjoy a good income from traffic tickets and you have to learn about speed traps. It's also double jeopardy, not only the fines, but your insurance rates go up.

Not even sure why the DMV issues driver's licenses, they are not even liable, either you or your insurance company is. Then we have a crazy society where everybody has to be at the same place at the same time, and can be severely penalized if you are two seconds late.

Traffic tickets are very much apart of our culture, surprised more people aren't screaming, but something I had to emphasize to my wife and daughter coming from a country without speed limits. Stupid, 90% of our driving is done in cities, so to save gas, they lower the speed limits on the interstates, that is what happens when you vote for idiots to run this country.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a re-occuring issue everywhere. I've talked to INS myself about it and many others have posted this as well on other boards. If the ticket is less then $500 and does not involve any drugs or alcohol then no you do not need to report it at all on your N-400.

It's written in a confusing way, but after enough investigation by people (I had the INS tell me on the phone then my interview officer tell me) that it is not neccessary to report simple traffic fines.

In my interview example I never mentioned any of my tickets. I was just asked if I had ever been to court or arrested. I disclosed I had been in court twice for traffic fines (speeding and rolling through a stop sign), and that the county where I lived any traffic fines are mandatory court dates. The interview officer just asked if they were over $500 or DUI related, I told him no and he said that's all they are looking for and moved on.

My example is pretty common. The only time you would want to maybe post the tickets is if you have other issues on your N-400 that might cause some concern, and showing that you paid your fines for traffic tickets might help presuade the IO of your good moral standing, but generally no you usually won't have to...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.