Tess79

Question about Oath

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My oath ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday at 8am. In the letter, it says to bring *Any immigration documents you may have*. What do they mean? What type of documents am I supposed to bring?

How long is the oath ceremony going to take? Is it several hours? What should I expect during the ceremony?

Just want to also let everyone know that there is still hope! Overall, it took 4 months for me from mailing the application to the oath. I guess they really stepped up!

Thanks!

Tess

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
My oath ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday at 8am. In the letter, it says to bring *Any immigration documents you may have*. What do they mean? What type of documents am I supposed to bring?

How long is the oath ceremony going to take? Is it several hours? What should I expect during the ceremony?

Just want to also let everyone know that there is still hope! Overall, it took 4 months for me from mailing the application to the oath. I guess they really stepped up!

Thanks!

Tess

Make sure you wear proper attire. While I tossed our entire USCIS huge briefcase in the car, wife only needed her oath letter and greencard, I just said, I with her. How long? Normally less than one day.

Ha, wife still gets a kick out of the word, "spangled", have to start using that in my everyday vocabulary. You will probably feel like you been spangled after the ceremony, but can almost bet a tear will come to your eye. And the next day will be checking for a letter from the USCIS and wondering why you are doing that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I only took the oath ceremony letter and my GC and didn't require anything else.

The ceremony last about an hour. And don't worry about having to memorize the Oath of Allegance or the Star Spangled Banner or anything else because the words were all up on a screen at the front of the room.

They called our names out (along with the country we were from) and we had to walk up to the front, shake hands, and get our certificates.

There was a video that definitely brought tears to my eyes and made me feel very proud, I must admit. There was also a message from President Bush on video too.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Any immigration documents you may have.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline

"Any immigration documents you may have."

Yet another generalized statement that can be read in a number of different ways, you have to have a green card carried with you to be here legally, but doesn't say anything about if you keep records that can be over a three stack of papers at this stage of the game. But those are immigration documents and "may" implies you really don't have to have them.

Recalling the I-485 reasons for applying, seems that special advantages were given to Cuban refugees, ha remember saying to my fiancé at the time, she should move to Cuba and come over on a raft, would be much simpler and less expensive. Wonder if Emilio, a Cuban refugee himself had anything to do with this as with 203 other countries in the world, only Cuban's were given this privilege

On the front of the N-445 form, the so called oath letter, are six blocks with everyone checked except the other, they knew my wife was not a refugee and we didn't have any children, so why did they check those blocks, and exactly what immigration documents are they referring to? On the rear of the form has eight questions that obviously should have eight "No" answers. Ha, in my state as slow as the immigration process is concerned, not even possible to get a divorce between the interview and oath ceremony, but death is possible. And how many would answer yes to knowingly committing a crime you were never caught for?

Ha, it's like they want to keep you guessing until the very last second, most of us want to do everything right, but what is right?

Recall making out a check for all the fees five years ago for both my wife and daughter for around $2,550.00, see that just two I-485's would be covered by that amount today. Ha, just another way to limit immigration.

Timeline
Yet another generalized statement that can be read in a number of different ways, you have to have a green card carried with you to be here legally, but doesn't say anything about if you keep records that can be over a three stack of papers at this stage of the game. But those are immigration documents and "may" implies you really don't have to have them.
It ain't rocket science. If it came from USCIS, bring it. If it came from State department, bring it. If it is something you sent in to USCIS or State Department, bring it. If you think it may be important, bring it. Ta da - if they ask you for some particular paper, there is a real good chance you'll have it with you.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
It ain't rocket science. If it came from USCIS, bring it. If it came from State department, bring it. If it is something you sent in to USCIS or State Department, bring it. If you think it may be important, bring it. Ta da - if they ask you for some particular paper, there is a real good chance you'll have it with you.

Sure isn't rocket science, that is clear, precise, logical, comprehensible, backed with years of proven scientific and mathematical data, whereas many of the USCIS statements are about as clear as mud. Wish you, akdiver, would start citing your sources for your statements. In particular, the authoritative ones such as this one and these statements should come from the USCIS since they are the authoritative agency.

Timeline
In particular, the authoritative ones such as this one and these statements should come from the USCIS since they are the authoritative agency.
There is nothing authoritative about anything I say. I don't work for USCIS and I never claimed to. If people can't discern speculation, opinion and fact, then shame on them.

My first answer to the OP's question was exactly what the instructions said - "any immigration documents you may have" - that's pretty exact. What more can you ask for?

My second answer was equally clear. Does it have something to do with immigration? Is it a document? Is it something you have? Then bring it! The cost of bringing it is zero, while the cost of not having something that you may need can be quite high. It doesn't take take much "authority" to decide where to place one's bets.

On a related note - no one on here can say anything authoritative about anything USCIS wants. All they can do is express their opinion and the knowledge they have acquired through one means or another, or, at best, refer to some USCIS document. I mean, honestly, if USCIS is asking for "any immigration documents you may have" - there is not a THING that anyone can "authoritatively" say to clarify that. All they can do is speculate, provide opinion (sometimes based on personal experience), or refer to the USCIS document. Hell, I bet if you were to call InfoPass right now and ask them what "any immigration documents you may have" means, you couldn't get an "authoritative" answer. Even if you did get an answer from them, odds are good you could call next week and get a different answer.

FWIW, personally, I think the USCIS instructions, "any immigration documents you may have" - are pretty clear.

Edited by akdiver

Timeline
In particular, the authoritative ones such as this one and these statements should come from the USCIS since they are the authoritative agency.
There is nothing authoritative about anything I say. I don't work for USCIS and I never claimed to. If people can't discern speculation, opinion and fact, then shame on them.

My first answer to the OP's question was exactly what the instructions said - "any immigration documents you may have" - that's pretty exact. What more can you ask for?

My second answer was equally clear. Does it have something to do with immigration? Is it a document? Is it something you have? Then bring it! The cost of bringing it is zero, while the cost of not having something that you may need can be quite high. It doesn't take take much "authority" to decide where to place one's bets.

On a related note - no one on here can say anything authoritative about anything USCIS wants. All they can do is express their opinion and the knowledge they have acquired through one means or another, or, at best, refer to some USCIS document. I mean, honestly, if USCIS is asking for "any immigration documents you may have" - there is not a THING that anyone can "authoritatively" say to clarify that. All they can do is speculate, provide opinion (sometimes based on personal experience), or refer to the USCIS document. Hell, I bet if you were to call InfoPass right now and ask them what "any immigration documents you may have" means, you couldn't get an "authoritative" answer. Even if you did get an answer from them, odds are good you could call next week and get a different answer.

FWIW, personally, I think the USCIS instructions, "any immigration documents you may have" - are pretty clear.

Apparently you have an opinion, no credentials, what about experiences to share. Have you successfully submitted your N-400, passed the interview, and experienced the oath ceremony? Are you a USC, LPR, or an alien. Sure Tess did not find your answer useful. Already spoke to several very well experienced immigration attorneys on certain key questions in the N-400 and N-445, stated they were rather nebulous and ambiguous. But you seem to have all the answers, so in explicit terms, name precisely which immigration documents the USCIS is requesting you bring with your N-445 to the oath ceremony.

Timeline
But you seem to have all the answers, so in explicit terms, name precisely which immigration documents the USCIS is requesting you bring with your N-445 to the oath ceremony.
I recommend following the instructions - "any immigration documents you may have" - if you wish to NOT follow the instructions, that's certainly your choice.

Timeline
But you seem to have all the answers, so in explicit terms, name precisely which immigration documents the USCIS is requesting you bring with your N-445 to the oath ceremony.
I recommend following the instructions - "any immigration documents you may have" - if you wish to NOT follow the instructions, that's certainly your choice.

If I had to gather all the papers we have and spend hours at it, wouldn't have bothered, but they are all in a large folder type briefcase that I tossed in the trunk. Wondered why as the USCIS already has all of these papers, it's not that I have created any of them. One remote scenario would be they lost all of your records, but feel if they did that, would send you home anyway without your certificate dragging the process out for several months if not years.

But the box on bringing "Any immigration documents you may have" was checked, so I complied. Of the 39 applicants their, not one was carrying a load of papers, just green cards and oath letters, not one was asked to see more documentation, and not one was turned back. Ha, the woman in front of my wife when filling out the rear of the form didn't know how to spell September, even to the point of not knowing how to write an "e", but the officer helped her and let her through, how did she pass her English test?

I know nothing about reentry permits or refugees, but wasn't all that covered at the interview? Sure questioned my immigrant daughter turning 18 before we could file the N-400, lived her as long as her mom, but was told though luck, she has to wait the five year period plus have to pay whatever the new fee would be, probably a zillion dollars. So no sense in bring her along.

Now when they say bring along all of your original documents for the interview, that you can take literally, wasn't going to, because the last two times they never wanted to see them. But wife had a stinker of an interviewer this time, and she wanted to see them all. So you never know.

I feel I could rewrite the N-400 and N-445 in less than a day, so it makes sense, but probably would put a lot of immigration attorneys out of business. Many of our laws are written this way, and why not, we have a congress basically loaded with attorneys, and they do look out for each other. Ha, even nine more attorneys on the supreme court that can't even agree on any given subject. The most unpopular decisions are based on a 5 to 4 vote that are based on opinions, not facts. Roe versus Wade is one of them, been screwing around with this one for the last 36 years and getting nowhere with it. BS is more like it and lot's of it.

Timeline
If I had to gather all the papers we have and spend hours at it, wouldn't have bothered
Yeah, I would think at this stage in the game, people would be pretty organized and coming up with some paper or another would be trivial.

Wondered why as the USCIS already has all of these papers, it's not that I have created any of them.
I wonder about that too. But then again, they do take your finger prints, what, 4 or 5 times?.

But the box on bringing "Any immigration documents you may have" was checked, so I complied. Of the 39 applicants their, not one was carrying a load of papers, just green cards and oath letters, not one was asked to see more documentation, and not one was turned back. Ha, the woman in front of my wife when filling out the rear of the form didn't know how to spell September, even to the point of not knowing how to write an "e", but the officer helped her and let her through, how did she pass her English test?
I agree, the odds of them wanting something special are unusual - but like I said above, the cost of bringing it is 0 and the cost of not bringing it can be quite high - so why on earth NOT bring everything they might want?

Now when they say bring along all of your original documents for the interview, that you can take literally, wasn't going to, because the last two times they never wanted to see them. But wife had a stinker of an interviewer this time, and she wanted to see them all. So you never know.
When we went in for the AOS interview - I had a huge box of stuff. Guy didn't want to see ANY of it. I was so dissapointed - I had everything covered. I even asked him something, "I have all this stuff here, don't you want to see any of it?" He said something like, "there is no need - this is the cleanest file I've ever seen. It's very well put together. How long have you worked for the government?" (:

Thanks!

Tess

Probably "Any immigration documents you may have" means Permanent Resident Card (I-551), A.K.A. Green Card.

If you went through I-751 for 2-year conditional permanent resident card, you might have expired Green Card somewhere.

Other than that, I don't see any other things you have to bring.

Unless you have something happened between interview date and oath ceremony date, so you have to prove something to USCIS employee for that change.

Timeline

Thanks!

Tess

Probably "Any immigration documents you may have" means Permanent Resident Card (I-551), A.K.A. Green Card.

If you went through I-751 for 2-year conditional permanent resident card, you might have expired Green Card somewhere.

Other than that, I don't see any other things you have to bring.

Unless you have something happened between interview date and oath ceremony date, so you have to prove something to USCIS employee for that change.

Would make sense that "any immigration documents you may have" would apply as to how one would answer those eight questions on the rear of the N-445, but would make a lot more sense if they said that. Not statistically overwhelming, but with only 39 applicants there, saw 39 oath letters and 39 green cards being turned in. No one was turned away. If a person did get a traffic ticket in that short time, is proof that ticket was paid an immigration document?

Filed: Timeline

Thanks!

Tess

congrats

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.