w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Ohio Republicans Use Lawsuit To Fight for State's Crucial Votes

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The Ohio Republican Party spearheaded a lawsuit Friday over a directive from the office of Democratic Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner that would allow some early voters to register and vote on the same day.

In Ohio, a recently enacted state law -- the subject of the Brunner directive -- allows residents, for the first time in a general presidential election, to vote early by absentee ballot without providing a justification. Advocates for the homeless and other groups say they will direct new voters to take advantage of the overlap between early voting, which begins Sept. 30, and voter registration, which ends Oct. 6. During that window, citizens can register and vote simultaneously. The outreach efforts are expected to benefit Democrats.

The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless, a Cleveland-based umbrella group for service providers, housing activists and others, is making plans to drive about 2,000 shelter residents to polling places during the overlap period. "This is a huge opportunity to prove to elected officials that very low-income people do vote," said Brian Davis, executive director of the group.

Republican officials are furious, charging that the one-stop process will encourage voter fraud. They argue that a state law requires Ohio residents to register at least 30 days before voting, so same-day registration and voting should be banned.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122125136545029511.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think that registering to vote should be like selective service. If you want to vote, then you need to register within X amount of time of turning 18, and if you don't do it before you turn 26, then you should never be allowed to register.

In terms of changing your address - again, it should be like selective service. I don't know what the time allotment is, but let's say, update your registration within 1 month of moving.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Hey, by law in most states the polls are open a finite number of hours. If you don't get there when they're open then you don't cast a vote.

Registering, and voting on the same day definitely invites voter fraud...........How are homeless citizens to identify themselves, and how will they be prevented from voting in multiple precincts, given they have no verifiable address?

Bad idea.....

miss_me_yet.jpg

Timeline

I don't think you should be permitted to vote unless you own real property either. Among other things, it certainly solves the verifiable address problem. You should be able to vote in any district where you own real property.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I don't think you should be permitted to vote unless you own real property either. Among other things, it certainly solves the verifiable address problem. You should be able to vote in any district where you own real property.

I wouldn't take it that far, but I'd love to see the age limit raised to 21. I'm looking at my son who will be 18 in December and he is totally clueless on the way life works. To think we all barely dodged the bullit of him having a say in the next 4 years by just 50 days is scary.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline
I think the voting range should be decreased down to the lowest age that the government would dare impose the death penalty. I'm pretty sure then they're saying that age has the ultimate responsibility for their actions.

Thats already the case Roper v. Simmons (2005).

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Timeline
I don't think you should be permitted to vote unless you own real property either.

How about we just limit voting you, I and dale?

** everyone else!

No way. I don't want that responsibility. I love being in a State where my vote is lost amongst millions of others and I can claim no responsibility.

..but yeah, ** everone else anyway.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

I don't think you should be permitted to vote unless you own real property either.

** everyone else!

No way. I don't want that responsibility. I love being in a State where my vote is lost amongst millions of others and I can claim no responsibility.

Fine, then you can be the apathetic swing voter who stays home most of the time. No democracy is complete without one!

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

** everyone else!

Fine, then you can be the apathetic swing voter who stays home most of the time. No democracy is complete without one!

You know if it's just us three, you have a pretty good shot. I might vote for you.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Timeline
I dont care who gets elected. It really doesn't matter.

I think that registering to vote should be like selective service. If you want to vote, then you need to register within X amount of time of turning 18, and if you don't do it before you turn 26, then you should never be allowed to register.

In terms of changing your address - again, it should be like selective service. I don't know what the time allotment is, but let's say, update your registration within 1 month of moving.

Why not make it so that you are registered as soon as you register residency in your county or city? Would seem simple enough. I never actively registered to vote in Germany. My city knew me as a resident and citizen of voting age and, hence, I was on the list of eligible voters. Why all the extra hassle and red tape here?

Timeline
Why not make it so that you are registered as soon as you register residency in your county or city?
Um, because in America, you're not required to register residency in any county or city?