Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frazell Thomas

Birth Certificate

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I was just going through the "step by step guide on how to file a I-130" and see that in the list of pre-interview forms/items that I will need an "original or certified long birth certificate". I just want to get this cleared up before that time comes, so if I have to order a long birth certificate I can do that in advance. Anyways, I was born in Quebec and have my original birth certificate (business card type size) that was given originally to us laminated. It has both my parents names on the back of it. However, when I applied for my passport, they said I needed a new birth certicate (they had to reissue for anyone born in Quebec before or after a certain year? I cant' remember how that went exactly). Since they never said I had to destroy my old one, I now have 2 birth certificates. This second one is not laminated and does not have my parents names on it. Does anyone know if I need to order a long birth certificate, or will one of my other ones be just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! We filed our I-130 with the help of a lawyer and she said that the typical Canadian birthcertificate is fine (assuming it was issued by the Quebec government...yes?). So no worries! you don't have to order a long one

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need one that has your parents names on it, you have mentioned that the older wallet size in Quebec has your parents names on the back - maybe that will suffice - maybe not, if the USCIS is following the department of state guidelines, they might reject it.

CANA001s.gifCanada Reciprocity Schedule

Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates

Births, marriages, and deaths are registered in the Canadian provinces or territory in which they took place. Though each province or territory issues its own certificates for these events, there are a few basic formats for them across Canada:

The "small" or "short form" certificate is a computer-printed, limited extract of information from provincial records. It is a wallet-sized card, 9.5 x 6.4 cm or 2.5 x 3.75in (Specimen from British Columbia). Short-form or small certificates are not acceptable for visa purposes because they do not contain enough identification information, such as parents' names.

The "large" or "full-size" certificate is a computer-printed extract of information from provincial records. It is printed on currency-style paper stock, 21.6 x 17.8 cm or 7 x 8.25 in., with an intaglio border (Specimen from British Columbia).

A "certified copy of a record" is an exact or near-exact copy of the actual paper record in the provincial archives. It is printed on safety paper, usually 21.5 x 28 cm or 8.5 x 14in., and bears the province or territory's raised seal. This type of certificate, being a complete record rather than an extract, contains the most information about the event.

A "commemorative" certificate is a decorative document intended for display (Specimen from Manitoba). Commemorative certificates are not considered legal documents in Canada and are not acceptable for visa purposes.

Edited by trailmix

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your replies :)

Hmmm what a pickle. You never know if the USCIS is going to follow guidelines or not. I guess I had better order a long, one just in case. I'm anxious to get there (of course) and don't want to be held up for something silly like that.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.