beng_and_carl

anybody who filed an annulment case in the philippines?

37 posts in this topic

your annulment is very expensive..i paid not more than 60thousnad i think its 40thousand package...

HI, EVERYONE! NID SOME HELP! im palnning to file an annulment tis yr. but but dont know wer can i get a lawyer na mura lang maningil pero magaling. im in laguna ryt now. :unsure:

My 'wife' petitioned in May 2008 and she is just finishing in the next 2-3 months, according to Hipolito Sanez, the attorney in Manila. She was married to her first cousin 10 years ago and left him one year after they were married. I married her in June 2006 but our marriage was invalid, since she did not tell me that she was already married. She told me that she did not tell me because she loves me and did not want me to leave her. Since then we have had a son, and he is 11 months old now. As soon as her annulment is finished, I plan to do a K-1 visa. This has been very difficult for both of us, including our son, but just keep the faith. It will all work out. I paid Sanez 68,000 pisos, and the psychiatrist wants 15,000 for the report. I'll pay that this coming month. Sanez is a good lawyer--up front and honest.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Beng and Carl.

My annulment cost almost as much as the wedding expenses my ex and I spent. lol It was roughly close to Php 200,000. No doubt prices have gone up since I started in 2004. My marriage was annulled in November 2005.

The average annulment in the Philippines takes 18 to 24 months to process. I started the process in 2002, but I had to pull it out because my ex and his parents took my daughter away from me so I had to withdraw the petition and file for Habeas Corpus; it was restarted in 2004 and finally completed in 2005, 20 months total (inclusing the time it took to get my annotated Marriage Certificate).

My lawyers also took care of the entry of judgment and request for the certificate of nullity, and getting the Marriage Certificate annotated, at a separate cost (Php 5,000).

Back to the annulment...aside from lawyer's fees (depending on who your lawyer is and the location of the proceedings, this could be anywhere between Php 150,000 to Php 300,000), be prepared to pay for:

- acceptance fee (this is separate from the lawyer's fees, I paid Php 10,000 for this; some lawyers charge Php 40,000)

- admin costs (also separate from the lawyer's fees; I gave an additional Php 5,000 for that)

- appearance fees (this varies depending on the location; in Metro Manila, your lawyer gets paid anywhere between Php 2,500 to Php 4,000 every time he appears before the judge) --- if proceedings are suspended on the day of a scheduled court appearnace, some lawyers will still charge you for them showing up

- transportation allowance for the lawyer (in my case, within Metro Manila, it's Php 500 for every court appearance)

- I paid Php 25,000 for a psychiatric/psychological evaluation report (if you are claiming psychological incapacity of your spouse; I have heard this days you can get it cheaper...the important thing here is, the psychiatrist you hire must be recognized by the court...each jurisdiction has a handful of such professionals who work on court cases)

- a publishing fee, in case the spouse refuses or is consistently not physically present to receive the summons/petition being delivered by the messanger/court officer - in this case, the lawyer has no choice but to have it published in the newspaper (the choice of newspaper apparently is not up to the spouse filing the annulment; instead there is a raffle and you pick the name of a newspaper out of a hat, so to speak)

- other incidental costs; in my case, I had to file a separate Habeas Corpus petition against my ex and in-laws because they took my daughter away without my consent; had to get her back before refiling my annulment case

My lawyers are great, highly competent and reasonable. Here are their contact details:

Jacinto, Magtanong, Wui, Jacinto, Esguerra and Uy Law Offices

Unit 903 Rufino Building, Rufino Plaza

6784 Ayala Avenue corner Herrera St.

1229 Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Phone: (632) 892-3749

Telefax: (632) 815-2292

E-mail: jmulaw@gmail.com

You can ask your cousin to get in touch with my lawyer, Atty. Martin Esguerra. His mobile number is: (63917) 899-1966. When you call him, just let him know I referred you (you may PM me and I will give you my name). It's usually better to call him at the office; when he's in court, he has to turn off his cell phone.

Aside from family court stuff, they also do corporate work, if you ever need help opening a business in the Philippines.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

• 3 years later...
Filed: Timeline

<!--quoteo(post=2197365:date=Sep 9 2008, 07:47 AM:name=STEPHnRIA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (STEPHnRIA @ Sep 9 2008, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2197365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ate Cora, What about your 2nd annulment? How did you go about it and how long did it take?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My second annulment was called "Petition for Re-Affirmation of Declaration of Nullity of Marriage" since I cannot file another annulment for the same person on the ground of <i>Res Judicata</i> (or a prior declaration of nullity). I hired the same lawyer who did my first case. Acceptance fee for the second case was a discounted P25,000 plus appearance fee per court hearing. I can't remember now if I paid P3,000 or P5,000 per appearance for the second case.

Here's a timeline for my second court case:

3-02-06 - Filed petition

6-06-06 - Decision rendered

6-23-06 - Finality issued

6-28-06 - Registration

8-??-06 - Annotated MC issued

The court procedure took a little over 3 months. The judge was very mabait (kind) to me and he gave me the earliest court dates that his calendar could accommodate. And I did not pay him a single cent for "padulas". Bait ano?

May I ask why can you not file annulment with the same person? Is that because you already have previous decision but unfinished (no finality was issued)? If that's the case, is is a void ab initio (void from the beginning) or voidable marriage? Where is your court located? I am planning to refile as mine is taking forever. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies. The most recent poster has a thread started for replies.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.