Janvier882

Waiting on Renewal EAD - Stop working?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted here. :)

My husband's one year EAD is about to expire and we haven't received the new card yet.

Will he have to quit working until the new card comes through or is it possible to get an interim EAD until it does?

Thanks in advance. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here's USCIS info:

Can I fire an employee who fails to produce the required document(s) within three (3) business days?

Yes. You can terminate an employee who fails to produce the required document(s), or a receipt for a replacement document(s) (in the case of lost, stolen or destroyed documents), within three (3) business days of the date employment begins. However, you must apply these practices uniformly to all employees. If an employee has presented a receipt for a replacement document(s), he or she must produce the actual document(s) within 90 days of the date employment begins.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/EEV.htm

Although technically they talk about replacement document for the one that was stolen or destroyed, the "replacement" term can be interpreted broadly. Some employers are pretty lax about it. I would present a receipt for a renewal and see what they say.

Edited by kc456

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Did you try to do an infopass to get it renewed?

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I think the receipt for EAD renewal should be enough to prove it.

I believe you are right...I seem to remember reading that the receipt for renewal can suffice for 90 days. Searching for an 'official' source of that information is left as an exercise for the reader :P

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

I think the receipt for EAD renewal should be enough to prove it.

Actually it is not enough.

I am in the same situation and after some serious investigating this is what I found.

If you do not have valid work permit you are not allowed to work.

Pending application is not a valid work permit.

However it is up to your employer to ask you for a proof if they dont you are ok.

If they do you are done.

My employer desided to ignore the situation until I will get the renewal.

Help line told me it is solely up to your employer.

You can not get interim EAD until 90 days after you have filed.

I have e-filed on Jan 09... I had my second fingerprints done... yes you have but just one finger this time ;)

and I am still waiting...

Best of Luck

Luc

Jan-09-2005 ~ Filled I-485 together with EAD and AP (sent to Chicago)

Jan-12-2005 ~ NOA (I-485 and EAD Biometrics notice received)

Feb-02-2005 ~ AP Email: APPROVED

Feb-07-2005 ~ AP came in mail, 26days (since Jan12 NOA)

Feb-26-2005 ~ I-485 and EAD Biometrics in New York, NY

Mar-02-2005 ~ I-485 Notice: "Your Fingerprints results received…" 48days

Mar-02-2005 ~ EAD Email: APPROVED

Mar-05-2005 ~ EAD in mail: The card starts on Feb 05, Nice...

Mar-07-2005 ~ Interview Notice for October 6th 2005 in Garden City, NY

Oct-06-2005 ~ Interview: Background checks not completed

Jan-09-2006 ~ What a coincident ;) E-filled For EAD and AP renewal

Jan-25-2006 ~ right index finger fingerprinted and photo taken

Sept-15-2006 ~ AP renewal approved 247 days

Sept-21-2006 ~ EAD renewal approved 253 days

Sept-30-2006 ~ 2nd Biometrics appointment

June-18-2007 ~ E-filed yet another Work Permit and AP renewal :(

After 2 years, 6 moths and one day I have received this email:

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

Thank you very much about the time

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I am in the same situation as the OP.

BTW Thanks to the person who posted that link. Very informative!

My 1-year EAD has been up for about 2 weeks now. Before it expired, I made an infopass appointment and spoke with an immigration officer (ATL). She told me it is up to my employer. No interim can be issued before 90-days after I apply for the renewal (I e-filed on the 22 of Dec and did my bio on the 29). I specifically wanted to know if it was illegal to keep working without a valid card, even if my employer wanted to keep me. She said that since my status under which I was issued the first EAD hadn't changed (C09) and because of the fact that I had already done biometrics... it wasn't that big of a deal. And that I should receive the card soon. I asked if I could do anything about it and she said that my employer could send a form inquiring about my status. (She gave me the form together with a list of addresses) BUT...she added, we only have two people working on this particular matter here... To me, it sounded: not even bother!

THis is my experience.

Thanks

Tiziana

squsqutbu20080408_-8_Michael%20is.png

K-1 TIMELINE

May 19, 2004: I-129F sent to TSC

June 12, 2004:1NOA received (dated June 7, 2004)

July 28, 2004: 2NOA (online approval)

October 25th, 2004: GOT MY VISA!

AOS TIMELINE

November 17, 2004: Entered the US through ATL

November 23, 2004: Married in Des Moines, IA

December 14, 2004: AOS, EAD and AP sent to Chicago

January 31, 2005: AP approved

February 17, 2005: biometrics

February 17, 2005: EAD approved

September 19, 2005: AOS transferred to CSC

September 22, 2005: AOS petition received CSC

April 19, 2006: AOS APPROVED! welcome notice sent

April 25, 2006: GREEN CARD received!

REMOVING CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCY

Junuary 15, 2008: I-751 package mailed to TSC

January 29, 2008: NOA1 receipt date (petition transferred to Vermont Service Center)

February 23, 2008: Biometrics

December 2, 2008: APPROVAL NOTICE SENT!

Filed: Timeline

Janvier,

A critical piece of information is missing - you say that your husband hasn't received the new card yet, but you don't say whether or not the application has been approved. If the application has been approved, then your husband is EA and has 90 days to produce the card.

It's the employer's responsibility to be keeping their records on this current - has the employer said anything to your husband about this situation?

Yodrak

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted here. :)

My husband's one year EAD is about to expire and we haven't received the new card yet.

Will he have to quit working until the new card comes through or is it possible to get an interim EAD until it does?

Thanks in advance. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.