Yaads

Yardie Cookbook

86 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
One of these, maybe?

Panades are corn turnovers stuffed with meat, beans, or fish, deep fried and garnished with cabbage. Garnaches are fried corn tortillas, like nacho chips but round and the size of small pancakes, with beans, cabbage, and cheese piled up on them. Another favorite is salbutes, flat, round circles of fried corn masa (the dough used to make corn tortilla) with stacks of stewed chicken and cabbage with tomatoes and cilantro on top. You can also ask for them with beans.

No, it wasn't any of those. You know Hormel beef tamales? It was the size and shape of one of those only it didn't have any kind of filling inside. It was just made completely out of that outer portion stuff.

Belize has a lot of Spanish influence. You might want to post this in one of the Spanish forums.

I'll ask around here as we have Priests in Belize and see if I can come up with the answer for you. No promises.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

It wasn't a Johnny Cake was it?

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

I will begin with the first recipe TODAY!!! :dance:

We have been on a huge food kick lately. Must be a fall thing!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Was it a FryJack?

FryJacks (Belize)

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 Cups Flour

* 1/4 Cup Shortening

* 1 tsp Baking Powder

* About 3/8 Cup Water

* 1/4 tsp Salt

METHOD / DIRECTIONS:

1. 1. Mix dry ingredients well.

2. Cut in shortening with a fork until it disappears.

3. Add water & knead until you have dough. (Add water, one tsp at a time, if it's too dry.) Cover & allow to rest for 10 minutes.

4. Cut into six equal pieces and knead each piece until you can make a nice round ball.

5. Form the dough into an apple turnover shape (triangular) and fry in fairly deep fat until they brown and puff up.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

What are you saying, Sus? Made with corn, though? Cause her description is saying corn. That's what is throwing me.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I searched for a dukunu recipe and couldn't seem to find one. Seems that it is basically a tamale without meat. So you could use the tamale recipe and just skip the meat part.

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

I will begin with the first recipe TODAY!!! :dance:

Whatcha gonna make? :D

Timeline
I missed that - Sounds like dukunu then -

http://www.belizeans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21213

Yeah! I think it was that! Thanx. Got a recipe? :whistle:

I didn't find one, sorry, just the link! Someone in that forum might have one though -

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Ok, I had to search a bit before finding this recipe. I'll have to try it. If it turns out well i'll have to show my sis how to make it since she's a Veg.

Tamalitos/Dukunu

streettreats12-1a.jpg

Tamalitos are made solely of corn and are rich in flavor. Here are some quick easy steps to follow on your own. First, get a hold of the ingredients; fresh green corn, 1 small onion, 1 small bell pepper, coconut milk (optional), 1 stick margarine melted, ¼ cup vegetable oil, thyme, salt, and corn meal (optional). First, take corn and husk it, make sure to save some of the greener leaves and place aside. In a bowl, slice kernel off the corn cob, blend or grind corn, onion, bell pepper and coconut milk (optional). Then, take the husks you saved and spoon mixture on husk; wrap the tamale and fold one end whilst leaving the other end open, then start placing them standing upright in a pot until tightly stacked. Lastly, cover the tamalitos with some corn husks and fill pot to half with water so as to avoid water from entering. Cover and place pot on high heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The dish is usually eaten as is, but to make the dish even better it can be accompanied with stewed chicken or other stewed meats.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I missed that - Sounds like dukunu then -

http://www.belizeans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21213

Yeah! I think it was that! Thanx. Got a recipe? :whistle:

I think I know what you mean - each caribbean nation calls it something else.

Guyana and Barbados: we call it conkie

Virgin Islands: I think its called fungee

Belize, etc: dunkanoo

Jamaica: Blue Drawers (LOL Leave it to yardies!LOL)

It varies what you make it with - sometimes cornmeal, fresh corn, ripe plantains, pumpkin etc.

My favorite is by my aunt in London who uses cornmeal, coconut and pumpkin.

Here is a bajan recipe complete with pictures.

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Here is the recipe my auntie uses:

Ingredients:

* 3 cups grated coconut (1 large)

* 2 cups fresh corn flour (ground cornmeal)

* 4 oz raisins (optional)

* 6 oz shortening

* 1/2 cup flour

* 3/4 lb brown sugar

* 3/4 lb pumpkin

* 1/2 lb sweet potato

* 1 cup milk

* 1 tsp powdered cinnamon

* 1 tsp grated nutmeg

* 1 tsp almond essence

* 1 tsp salt

Procedure:

1. Grate coconut, pumpkin and sweet potato.

2. Mix in sugar, liquids and spices.

3. Add raisins and flour last and combine well.

4. Melt shortening before adding with milk, etc.

5. Fold a few tablespoons of the mixture in steamed plantain leaves.

6. Cut in squares about 8 inches wide.

7. Steam conkies on a rack over boiling water in a large pot or in a steamer until they are firm and cooked.

Note:

Wax paper will work instead of banana or plantain leaves

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
Sounds interesting Hooms - Do you have any recipes from Dubai to share? I love finding different foods to try.

There's loads of Indians in Dubai so it's just as easy to find Indian foods as it is to find Arabic foods. There's also lots of Iranians. I love Lebanese kabab and there are some Persian dishes I really like as well. Indian food is good too since it's the spiciest. What kind of recipe would you like to try?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.