kyli_95

Petitioning for a stepbrother

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I just want to know if its possible to petition my stepbrother he is currently 16 years old. We share the same mother and we are both illegitimate, I am already a U.S. citizen. If its possible to petition him I was wondering how long does it usually take for him to get here.

I know that we also have to used the same form I-130. I was wondering if there are any other valuable information that I need to know. Hope that you can reply to this topic asap. Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nobody knows how long it will take.

12 years or so is as good a guess as any.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

There's no preference for minors unless they are the children of US citizens. Have you considered petitioning for your mom. Once she has a green card, she can petition for your brother as a F2a. F2a is currently processing visas for priority dates before Dec. 1, 2003 from all countries.

F4 are processing 1997 for China and other countries, 1995 for Mexico, and 1986 for the Philippines (Yes 1986).

F2 is probably even better than F4, 10 years or so is a very long time. We're also planning if my mom could apply for citizenship after 3 years and just petition my brother, but were worried because he might be 21 by then or older.

Does the F2 way have an age limit like 21 or something. Does the F2 way requires you after some time to get your citizenship in order for your petition to get process?

Sorry for so many questions. Ty for the replys

Timeline
F2 is probably even better than F4, 10 years or so is a very long time. We're also planning if my mom could apply for citizenship after 3 years and just petition my brother, but were worried because he might be 21 by then or older.

Does the F2 way have an age limit like 21 or something. Does the F2 way requires you after some time to get your citizenship in order for your petition to get process?

Your Mother would need to be a LPR for 5 years before applying for Citizenship, unless she obtained her PR status through marriage. And then there is the wait to be naturalised.

Is she willing to move to the US and leave her child behind?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

m

I just want to know if its possible to petition my stepbrother he is currently 16 years old. We share the same mother and we are both illegitimate, I am already a U.S. citizen. If its possible to petition him I was wondering how long does it usually take for him to get here.

I know that we also have to used the same form I-130. I was wondering if there are any other valuable information that I need to know. Hope that you can reply to this topic asap. Thank you.

Based on what information you provided:

If your mother is married to a US citizen, then he can petition for a Stepchild in the immediate relative catagory. If your mother is a US citizen, she can petition for her child the same way. If she is not a citizen, then it will take a long time if she petitions. You can petition for a sibling as a US citizen, but not as an immediate relative, hence a long time for a visa for this also.

You haven't really given enough information to suggest what to do. There are options some better than others. The instructions for the I-130 are pretty good to explain your options. Also there is good information in the guides here on VJ.

Cheers,

Timeline

Your Mother would need to be a LPR for 5 years before applying for Citizenship, unless she obtained her PR status through marriage. And then there is the wait to be naturalised.

Is she willing to move to the US and leave her child behind?

An LPR can sponsor a spouse and minor children under the F2a category. The mother would not have to wait until she becomes a USC to sponsor the brother. The problem is that the brother would not be considered an immediate relative. His wait would be roughly the same since it's taking F2as about 5 years to get here.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

An LPR must maintain that status for 5 years before he/she can apply for US citizenship, so your mother cannot become a citizen within 3 years.

If your brother is older than 21 years old when his priority date comes up, he would be moved from the F2a to the F2b category if your LPR mother was to sponsor him. That is currently 2 years quicker than an F4 for all countries except Mexico where F2b have to wait longer than F4. However if your mother was to immigrate, it would eat up most of those 2 years.

I thought they said that its only 3 years if your petitioned by a U.S. citizen (child to parent) to become a U.S. citizen.

Because my brother is 16 now he might not make it till the time my mother becomes a U.S. citizen. So the quickest way is the F2 way right? or should we wait until she becomes a citizen after 3 years if thats the right time frame so she could petition her as IR?..............F2 seems to be the quickest if the waiting time is only 5 years?? F2 does not have an age limit if my brother exceeds the age of 21 right?

Ty for the replys again

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Your mother would need to wait 5 years after being approved for a Greencard before she can become a citizen, the only people who can apply to be a citizen after 3 years is a greencard holder who is married to a USC.

As it would take about 12 months to get your mother here and then another 5 years before she could file for citizenship and maybe 6 months to process that you are looking at a wait of at least 6 1/2 years.

Timeline
So the best way is to petition my brother after she gets the greencard I-130 (F2) way? with a 5 years wait right?

Petition for mother

Mother moves to the US.

Mother gets Greencard

Mother petitions for son

5 years would be very tight, I would say nearer 7 or 8 would be reasonable, but my guess.

Timeline
Omg is it really 8 years for the F2 way?.....................

Actuallu might be longer, I think once you hit 21 you move catagories.

F2A to F2B.

But there are many other routes, work, study etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.