farah2005

Ramadan recipies :)

57 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
OH yesssssssssss, i have tried that yogurt cheese now. It comes salted and unsalted right? Looks like baby throw up! Just joking but hubby tried to get me to eat it several times and I just couldn't stand it.

Well then I think I'll make pretend I never heard of it and I won't bring it up! lol. Normally for his lunch I take a full pita bread and in one half I stuff a ton of feta cheese and in the other I put a ton of halawa. Those are per his directions because trust me I could never have that for lunch!!! blech.

Edited by bridget

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Thank you for the clarification.

Do the sweet breads and pastries freeze pretty well or save well in an airtight container?

I'm really starting to feel pressed for time here, especially since it looks like my husband won't be working this weekend, so I won't have the baking time I expected. I'll get some shopping done this evening for pistachios, almonds, walnuts, dates, and orange blossom or rose water. I have most of the rest, at least enough to get started. :unsure:

Well, if you wrap them in plastic, then alumi foil then in some type of plastic container they will keep for weeks! But be sure to get all the air out! Don't just leave them on a tray in the frig, as they will pick up smells ... no one likes fishy tasting cakes LOL! And the dry ones, just store like you would any old American cookie (choco chip or such) ... I would however freeze the nuts since they do go rancid, esp pinenuts! Orange/rose water after oping go in the frig, but unopened in the pantry. These generally don't spoil but keep them locked! Rose water also nice for facial cleasning and cleaning after using the WC! :thumbs: Orange water they use to reduce fevers ... funny but it does work!

Timeline
my husband's never heard of lebn but maybe I'm not describing it well enough.

Well like many things we have discovered ... names vary country to country ...area to area ... but I do know Egyptians eat/drink lebn ... tell him fermented or sour milk .. surely he will know!

Is that the sliced white cheese you get in EG?

No, that's jebn ... it looks like feta but not so salty!

OH yesssssssssss, i have tried that yogurt cheese now. It comes salted and unsalted right? Looks like baby throw up! Just joking but hubby tried to get me to eat it several times and I just couldn't stand it.

LOL! Sure does!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Thank you for the clarification.

Do the sweet breads and pastries freeze pretty well or save well in an airtight container?

I'm really starting to feel pressed for time here, especially since it looks like my husband won't be working this weekend, so I won't have the baking time I expected. I'll get some shopping done this evening for pistachios, almonds, walnuts, dates, and orange blossom or rose water. I have most of the rest, at least enough to get started. :unsure:

Well, if you wrap them in plastic, then alumi foil then in some type of plastic container they will keep for weeks! But be sure to get all the air out! Don't just leave them on a tray in the frig, as they will pick up smells ... no one likes fishy tasting cakes LOL! And the dry ones, just store like you would any old American cookie (choco chip or such) ... I would however freeze the nuts since they do go rancid, esp pinenuts! Orange/rose water after oping go in the frig, but unopened in the pantry. These generally don't spoil but keep them locked! Rose water also nice for facial cleasning and cleaning after using the WC! :thumbs: Orange water they use to reduce fevers ... funny but it does work!

Good info. I've never used rose or orange water, but this is a good enough excuse. Had to work late last night and didn't get the shopping done, but I'll go this afternoon. I wonder if World Market would carry the rose water. There's a small Middle Eastern grocery, but it's clear across town. Meh, I'll go to WM and see. We're almost out of harisa anyway.

And yogurt cheese is one of my comfort foods, mmmm.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

Well in MI they sold rose/orange water in World Market but was very expensive! I would wait until you get to a ME shoppe where you only pay $2-3 for instead of like $10! I wouls send you some ... it is like under 5cents here LOL!

But go slow with the orange water as it strong! Also orange is mainly use in NA while rose in ME (fyi)! Also donnow why I am coing up with these FYIs, here in NA they put orange water in the henna when they are mixing it ... so it smells better!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well in MI they sold rose/orange water in World Market but was very expensive! I would wait until you get to a ME shoppe where you only pay $2-3 for instead of like $10! I wouls send you some ... it is like under 5cents here LOL!

But go slow with the orange water as it strong! Also orange is mainly use in NA while rose in ME (fyi)! Also donnow why I am coing up with these FYIs, here in NA they put orange water in the henna when they are mixing it ... so it smells better!

Then maybe I'll go to the ME store with my husband tomorrow. I'd like to browse, but I've only been there once or twice and I'm still too shy to go alone, never any women in there. :blush:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

Ooooooo plz do go! So much to see and buy!

Be sure to pick up some ...

sumac ... really nice quick re-heat sauteed with roast chicken - instant charwarma!

olives - again NA staple ... so much cheaper there then in the US shoppes like Safeway or Kroger!

frsh bread- since many usually bake/sell their own! Mmmm bread with haloumi cheese or zaatar!

creme of rice (roz bel haleeB) instant souhour or dessert for Ramadan ... also called Salhabbi

wark leaves or phyllo for Ramadan boureks

but I am sure you will find your own way once you are there! Have fun!

Filed: Timeline

It's the same way for me girl!!! I walk in (just like today see note of story in the sultan's kitchen thread) and there's never a woman in site.. I feel like saying.. hi sorry to bother.. just here to buy some food and I swear I'm going to go ..... run around throw stuff in the basket and do the foot shuffle outta there!! I feel more comfortable taking Jihed with me :lol:

Then maybe I'll go to the ME store with my husband tomorrow. I'd like to browse, but I've only been there once or twice and I'm still too shy to go alone, never any women in there. :blush:

Timeline

OMG we went to the market today! MAD HOUSE! Lots of shopped opened but the priced literally 8x as much as they were 4 days ago! We thought we brought enough money with us for what we needed to buy ... ye right we didn't even byu 2 bags of groceries! A woman got robbed and pushed into on coming traffic ... ####### I hate this part about Ramadan here ... and all the fighting/stabbing during! Get a life ppl!

Filed: Timeline
Ooooooo plz do go! So much to see and buy!

Be sure to pick up some ...

sumac ... really nice quick re-heat sauteed with roast chicken - instant charwarma!

olives - again NA staple ... so much cheaper there then in the US shoppes like Safeway or Kroger!

frsh bread- since many usually bake/sell their own! Mmmm bread with haloumi cheese or zaatar!

creme of rice (roz bel haleeB) instant souhour or dessert for Ramadan ... also called Salhabbi

wark leaves or phyllo for Ramadan boureks

but I am sure you will find your own way once you are there! Have fun!

My husband hasnt quite explained what he wants to eat this ramadan so we ll have to work on it as I get ready to have the baby soon.

Timeline

Well I donnow about him but we since I am pregnant and lazy ... eating chourba, bourek, salad and maybe some lahma helou! I made about 15 days worth of bourek ahead then froze them. Chourba I am making in 3 day batches ... and same for the lahma helou ...just reheating what we need, frying the boureks, and making salad. Sweets we are keeping to low ... doing more fruits! Maybe try that out with your husband!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.