BrianJenny

FILING I-129F IN COUNTRY OF MARRAGE

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

HI everyone:

I am totally new to all of the visa processing. My question is this: My wife is Filipina, and I am a US citizen. We got married last March in Seoul South Korea, while I was there visiting. I understand from reading all the information, the I-129f is processed in the country which the marrage took place. This would be Seoul South Korea. My wife is returning to the Philippines next October to give birth to our first child, then remain there to await the visa processing. My question is, will she have to go back to Seoul South Korea for her interview? This might be a difficult process, since it took a year to get the work visa to go to work in South Korea in the first place. Since she is a Phillipine citizen, will the interview take place in Seoul, or in the Phillipines.

Thank you for your help and advice.

BrianJenny

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
HI everyone:

I am totally new to all of the visa processing. My question is this: My wife is Filipina, and I am a US citizen. We got married last March in Seoul South Korea, while I was there visiting. I understand from reading all the information, the I-129f is processed in the country which the marrage took place. This would be Seoul South Korea. My wife is returning to the Philippines next October to give birth to our first child, then remain there to await the visa processing. My question is, will she have to go back to Seoul South Korea for her interview? This might be a difficult process, since it took a year to get the work visa to go to work in South Korea in the first place. Since she is a Phillipine citizen, will the interview take place in Seoul, or in the Phillipines.

BrianJenny

If you fill up your timeline and have more information on what forms did you file, people would be able to answer your questions more accurately.

Yes, for K3, it has to be interviewed at the country of marriage.

It looks like it would be better for you to pursue CR1 to avoid having to go back to Seoul for interview.

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Timeline
HI everyone:

BrianJenny

If you fill up your timeline and have more information on what forms did you file, people would be able to answer your questions more accurately.

It looks like it would be better for you to pursue CR1 to avoid having to go back to Seoul for interview.

Leah

Thank you Leah:

I just mailed in our I-130 paperwork on 08/05/08

I got confirmation my check was cashed, so I am waiting on my first notification that that recieved my I-130 petition.

Then I was going to file the I-129f with the recipt from the I-130

BrianJenny

Timeline
HI everyone:

BrianJenny

Leah

Thank you Leah:

I got confirmation my check was cashed, so I am waiting on my first notification that that recieved my I-130 petition.

BrianJenny

Don't file the I-129F if your spouse don't want to go back to Seoul for visa interview.

Leah

USCIS

04/18 Touched

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

US Consulate

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

Timeline
HI everyone:

BrianJenny

Leah

Thank you Leah:

BrianJenny

Don't file the I-129F if your spouse don't want to go back to Seoul for visa interview.

Leah

Thank you again Leah!

I am still major confused about all this process. So what should I do next? I am not familiar with the CR-1. Does it take longer than the K3. I have been reading conflicting information on it. Is the I-130, considered the CR-1? What should I do when I recieve the I-797 regarding the recipt of the I-130?

I have a million questions, and need guidance, because I cannot afford a lawyer, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

BrianJenny

Timeline
[quote name='Todd-Leah' post='2141694'

Thank you again Leah!

I am still major confused about all this process. So what should I do next? I am not familiar with the CR-1. Does it take longer than the K3. I have been reading conflicting information on it. Is the I-130, considered the CR-1? What should I do when I recieve the I-797 regarding the recipt of the I-130?

I have a million questions, and need guidance, because I cannot afford a lawyer, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

BrianJenny

At the moment, I-130 and I-129F have been approved at the same time, thus the not much time difference between K3 and CR1 for most countries. With the shortcuts available at NVC, many people get their CR1 interviews just as fast as K3 interviews.

For CR1 path, you wait for the next notice NOA2, which is the approval notice.

For K3 path, you file I-129F with the NOA1 I-79C receipt.

Most of us here do it without lawyers, the guides and shortcuts on VJ are helpful, anything you need clarifications, just ask.

Here's Loto's guide, which has every steps you need to know about CR1:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/..._live_in_the_US

Edited by Todd-Leah

USCIS

04/18 Touched

07/02, 07/03 Touched

NVC

US Consulate

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/29 Visa in hand

Timeline

[

OH THANK YOU LEAH!

I have read through your link, and will now go by the CR-1. I see the timeline is the same, so why should I go through the extra hasstles? Plus make my wife have to return to South Korea is ridiculas!

I want to thank you so much for your help so far! Also congradulations on your approval!

My wife is going to have our first child in December or erly January, and I am worried because I won't be able to be with her, and wish she could come to the US to have our baby, but reading all the information on how long things take, I dont think that will be possible. I cant stand the thought of my wife doing it all alone. We want a family so bad, but I thought she could be with me by the time she gives birth. I will just keep praying, and hope everything moves smoothly.

Thank you Leah!!!!!!!!

Brian

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
[

OH THANK YOU LEAH!

I have read through your link, and will now go by the CR-1. I see the timeline is the same, so why should I go through the extra hasstles? Plus make my wife have to return to South Korea is ridiculas!

I want to thank you so much for your help so far! Also congradulations on your approval!

My wife is going to have our first child in December or erly January, and I am worried because I won't be able to be with her, and wish she could come to the US to have our baby, but reading all the information on how long things take, I dont think that will be possible. I cant stand the thought of my wife doing it all alone. We want a family so bad, but I thought she could be with me by the time she gives birth. I will just keep praying, and hope everything moves smoothly.

Thank you Leah!!!!!!!!

Brian

The timelines are similar but filing to petition approval is not the whole enchilada. The CR1 may take an extra month or two depending on the Consulate and how efficiently you deal with NVC. However, unless she wants to go back to S. Korea, it's the best choice.

When you understand the purpose of the K3, you'll understand the reason the visa must be issued in the country of marriage. The K3 purpose doesn't match your circumstances, so you go with the visa that does.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

THANK YOU PUSHBRK:

I will go the CR-1 visa route, thanks for verifying it. I am so thankful for all and any information I can get to make sure I don't msake any mistakes

BRIANJENNY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.