americag1234

What do I need to file before 2 year anniversary date?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, I just got my CR1 visa approved yesterday, the US consular officer did mention that I needed to file something before my 2 year anniversary date of wedding? Does anyone know what the process of this is?

"With God All Things Are Possible,trust in the Lord with all your heart,mind,Body and Spirit."

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2007-03-09

I-130 Sent : 2007-05-21

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-06-07

I-130 Approved : 2007-09-26

NVC Received :

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2007-11-13 -

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Return Completed DS-3032 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Receive Instruction Package : 2008-03-03

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-05-13

NVC Left : 2008-06-26

Consulate Received :

Appointment Letter Received: July 05/2008

Medical Examination: July 14/2008

Interview Date : 08-08-2008

Visa Approved: 08-08-2008

Visa Received : 08-14-2008

US Entry : 08-29-2008

Comments :POE very smooth at Pearson International Airport.

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 128 days from your filing date.

Timeline

I-751 very easy form to fill out. As well send in some evidence of the marriage, instructions are on the I-751, comes up on a google search!

On your greencard will be an expiration date, you can send in the I-751 90 days before it expires (doesnt have to be exactly days, you just cant send it earlier than that), just don't do it AFTER the expiration date,lol

Very easy form to fill out. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Hi Flames,

I was looking at your timeline and I see "Biometrics" took 10 minutes. What exactly is that? Also, it says you sent in your naturalization paperwork, what is that? Also when you got your US drivers licence, did you have to give your canadian drivers licence to them?

I-751 very easy form to fill out. As well send in some evidence of the marriage, instructions are on the I-751, comes up on a google search!

On your greencard will be an expiration date, you can send in the I-751 90 days before it expires (doesnt have to be exactly days, you just cant send it earlier than that), just don't do it AFTER the expiration date,lol

"With God All Things Are Possible,trust in the Lord with all your heart,mind,Body and Spirit."

Event Date

NVC Received :

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Consulate Received :

Processing

Timeline
Hi Flames,

I was looking at your timeline and I see "Biometrics" took 10 minutes. What exactly is that? Also, it says you sent in your naturalization paperwork, what is that? Also when you got your US drivers licence, did you have to give your canadian drivers licence to them?

Driversl license: Yes i handed over my Cdn drivers license. Keep in mind "United States" isnt really "United" every State has thier own rules, especially when it comes to automobile licensing!! In VA, it was a simple one for 1 exchange with NO road test or written exam, too easy! BUT thats not the case in many other States! Some you just do a written test, some make you do both! crazy! check out DMV.org of do a search on here for Georgia licensing, I'm sure others have stated their experiences or check out DMV.org

BIOMETRICS: After you mail in the I-751, you will get a letter stating that they have recieved your 751 form, AND it states they have now extended your "greencard" 1 more year. You will get another letter giving you a Biometrics appt. Gives you the place and time. You go there, and they take your picture and finger prints,thats it! Very painless. Down the road hopefully you do not have to do an interview,many do not,they just receive the 10 yr greencard in the mail!

Naturalization: is becoming a USA citizen. No you do NOT have to become a USA citizen, you can just keep renewing your 10 yr greencard--which of course costs $$$$,lol. if you do decide to become a USA citizen, You do NOT loose your Cdn citizenship. When can you start the naturalization paperwork? Since you are coming in on a cr-1, it is 90 days prior to the 3 year anniversary that you entered and activated your cr-1 visa. You wil notice when you get your Greencard, the expirary date wil be 2 years from when you entered/activated the cr-1 visa, at least thats the way it worked for me! I entered the USA dec 18 2004, and it expired dec 18 2006. So i was eligible to file for naturalization 90 days prior to Dec 18 2007 (sometime in sept) But I was in no hurry and didn't file till like May 2008!! It is a pretty easy form to fill out, lots of info on VJ.

But now, your next big paperwork with the USA govt will be the I-751!! But you have a bit of a break,lol Just remember any time within that 90 days window of your greencard expiring, it has to be mailed in! day 90, day 23, day 9 is fine, but not past it,lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't find the information where it says the OP is in Georgia, but here is the info: If you are in Georgia you will have to surrender your Canadian Driver's License :-(. You will need to have proof of your immigration status - so you will have to wait until you get your green card in hand. You also need to have your Social Security Number and proof of your Georgia Residency (ie copy of bank statement addressed to you, etc.). You will need to do the written test, the eye test and the road test all over again. You should be fine driving on your Canadian license until you get your green card as you have 30 days before you need to get your Georgia license - officially.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the info. I was hoping that I didn't have to do all the testing all over again.

I can't find the information where it says the OP is in Georgia, but here is the info: If you are in Georgia you will have to surrender your Canadian Driver's License :-(. You will need to have proof of your immigration status - so you will have to wait until you get your green card in hand. You also need to have your Social Security Number and proof of your Georgia Residency (ie copy of bank statement addressed to you, etc.). You will need to do the written test, the eye test and the road test all over again. You should be fine driving on your Canadian license until you get your green card as you have 30 days before you need to get your Georgia license - officially.

Event Date

NVC Received :

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Consulate Received :

Processing

Filed: Timeline

What you can do in the meanwhile is to have -maybe you already do- a file folder labeled "Removal of Conditions" and start adding stuff to it. You know, bank statements, tax transcripts, health insurance in both your names, utility bills, blah, blah, blah. This way you won't have to try and gather stuff when the date gets close.

Good luck!

Timeline

Thanks, that's a great idea.

What you can do in the meanwhile is to have -maybe you already do- a file folder labeled "Removal of Conditions" and start adding stuff to it. You know, bank statements, tax transcripts, health insurance in both your names, utility bills, blah, blah, blah. This way you won't have to try and gather stuff when the date gets close.

Good luck!

Event Date

NVC Received :

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Consulate Received :

Processing

Timeline

Thanks for the great Info Flames. When you apply for Naturalization, do you have to go through and interview again and do you know if they ask questions about US History? So, you were saying that if I was to apply to become a US Citizen I won't loose my Canadian Citizenship?

Hi Flames,

Driversl license: Yes i handed over my Cdn drivers license. Keep in mind "United States" isnt really "United" every State has thier own rules, especially when it comes to automobile licensing!! In VA, it was a simple one for 1 exchange with NO road test or written exam, too easy! BUT thats not the case in many other States! Some you just do a written test, some make you do both! crazy! check out DMV.org of do a search on here for Georgia licensing, I'm sure others have stated their experiences or check out DMV.org

BIOMETRICS: After you mail in the I-751, you will get a letter stating that they have recieved your 751 form, AND it states they have now extended your "greencard" 1 more year. You will get another letter giving you a Biometrics appt. Gives you the place and time. You go there, and they take your picture and finger prints,thats it! Very painless. Down the road hopefully you do not have to do an interview,many do not,they just receive the 10 yr greencard in the mail!

Naturalization: is becoming a USA citizen. No you do NOT have to become a USA citizen, you can just keep renewing your 10 yr greencard--which of course costs $$$$,lol. if you do decide to become a USA citizen, You do NOT loose your Cdn citizenship. When can you start the naturalization paperwork? Since you are coming in on a cr-1, it is 90 days prior to the 3 year anniversary that you entered and activated your cr-1 visa. You wil notice when you get your Greencard, the expirary date wil be 2 years from when you entered/activated the cr-1 visa, at least thats the way it worked for me! I entered the USA dec 18 2004, and it expired dec 18 2006. So i was eligible to file for naturalization 90 days prior to Dec 18 2007 (sometime in sept) But I was in no hurry and didn't file till like May 2008!! It is a pretty easy form to fill out, lots of info on VJ.

But now, your next big paperwork with the USA govt will be the I-751!! But you have a bit of a break,lol Just remember any time within that 90 days window of your greencard expiring, it has to be mailed in! day 90, day 23, day 9 is fine, but not past it,lol

Edited by americag1234

Event Date

NVC Received :

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Consulate Received :

Processing

Timeline

nope, wont loose ur cdn citizenship!! One has to do a lot more paper work to loose it,lol

Has one has to do an interview to become a citizen! The test has just been changed, but they do ask up to 10 questions. I havent really looked into that yet,lol

Timeline

Also, when you apply to have condition removed, do you have to do an interview for that as well? And for instance, let's say you fail the Naturalization test, do you loose your permanent residency?

nope, wont loose ur cdn citizenship!! One has to do a lot more paper work to loose it,lol

Has one has to do an interview to become a citizen! The test has just been changed, but they do ask up to 10 questions. I havent really looked into that yet,lol

Event Date

NVC Received :

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Consulate Received :

Processing

Also, when you apply to have condition removed, do you have to do an interview for that as well? And for instance, let's say you fail the Naturalization test, do you loose your permanent residency?

You might have to have an interview to have your conditions removed, you might not. I'd think because you were so recently interviewed, you wouldn't. And if you fail your Naturalization test, you don't lose your PR, you just have to do it again. There might be time frames that you're allowed to do it in as well...like waiting periods for reapplying...and don't forget, that if you fail the test, you'd have to reapply, and repay the fee again!

The Naturalization test is quite simple, and there is a booklet that you can read that has all the answers on it. I think there are 10 questions you are given, and you have to get so many right. I don't want to say 8, because I'm not sure. Then, you have to write in English, something the tester gives you verbally, and then read something to the tester in English. I believe it's only a few lines.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Hi Carla, is the Naturalization test written or verbal? Do you know if there is a forum on "Naturalization Interviews and tests"?

You might have to have an interview to have your conditions removed, you might not. I'd think because you were so recently interviewed, you wouldn't. And if you fail your Naturalization test, you don't lose your PR, you just have to do it again. There might be time frames that you're allowed to do it in as well...like waiting periods for reapplying...and don't forget, that if you fail the test, you'd have to reapply, and repay the fee again!

The Naturalization test is quite simple, and there is a booklet that you can read that has all the answers on it. I think there are 10 questions you are given, and you have to get so many right. I don't want to say 8, because I'm not sure. Then, you have to write in English, something the tester gives you verbally, and then read something to the tester in English. I believe it's only a few lines.

Event Date

NVC Received :

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Consulate Received :

Processing

:lol:

Hi Carla, is the Naturalization test written or verbal? Do you know if there is a forum on "Naturalization Interviews and tests"?

The test is written. In fact, I believe it's multiple choice. Here's a link that you might want to see.

http://uscitizenshiptestguide.com/text/newtest.html

There is a new citizenship test starting Oct 1, 2008. It has some example questions here, and the written and verbal part of the "English"part. Yes, check out the other forum and see what they say there. Unless I'm mistaken, you have to be a permanent resident for 3 years before you can apply for US citizenship. You're jumping the gun a bit! Take a deep breath!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Thanks Carla,

Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

:lol:

The test is written. In fact, I believe it's multiple choice. Here's a link that you might want to see.

http://uscitizenshiptestguide.com/text/newtest.html

There is a new citizenship test starting Oct 1, 2008. It has some example questions here, and the written and verbal part of the "English"part. Yes, check out the other forum and see what they say there. Unless I'm mistaken, you have to be a permanent resident for 3 years before you can apply for US citizenship. You're jumping the gun a bit! Take a deep breath!

Event Date

NVC Received :

Pay I-864 Bill:

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 :

Receive IV Bill :

Pay IV Bill :

Consulate Received :

Processing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.