kaya541

How would Oregon Unemployment know I was in Canada?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I also posted this in the off-topic but was hoping you guys could help too. I was laid off temporarily and decided to come up to Canada for a visit while still claiming unemployment online. I just rec'd a letter stating Oregon Unemployment was informed I was in Canada during that time and they now want proof I was not. Does anyone know if the Unemployment Dept's of any state would have access to passport information stating I left the country?

Timeline

I honestly have no idea - but if you filled it out online from Canada - maybe they figured it out from the IP address?

Or your employer told them if they were checking to see if it was in fact a temp layoff?

Dunno - just a thought.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

my sister was collecting unemployment in OR, she came to visit me in Uganda, and filled online weekly still. I think when you do that the IP address and location must come up on their computer. She had to pay back for all the time she was out of the country.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I also posted this in the off-topic but was hoping you guys could help too. I was laid off temporarily and decided to come up to Canada for a visit while still claiming unemployment online. I just rec'd a letter stating Oregon Unemployment was informed I was in Canada during that time and they now want proof I was not. Does anyone know if the Unemployment Dept's of any state would have access to passport information stating I left the country?

I don't believe that it is your passport info. that they were looking at (initially). If you registered or are updating your claim weekly while in Canada, I believe that they are tracking the IP address of the computer.

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

~John Fitzgerald Kennedy~

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

~Jalal ad-Din Rumi~

Timeline

Seems that Oregon does track IP addresses - sorry best I could find.

http://operawatch.com/news/2007/11/guy-use...ment-claim.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

9 yrs. ago I got caught by Unemployment Canada for the exact same thing you refer to. I was playing in the World Series FastPitch in Kansas. My wife was calling in my reports from Canada by phone.

I received a disqualification for 2 weeks on my claim a month after I returned to Canada. When I met with one of thier Agents I was told I was out of the Country for those 2 weeks and not available for work as my report stated. He told me names come up through the computer system at crossings

I had to repay the 2 weeks they paid me and they could have fined me for making a false report he said

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.