• I can't learn Tagalog
    • I am American I speak English
  2. 2. Filipina/Filipino Spouse

• My spouse is fluent in Tagalog
    • They can speak phrases, sort of
    • He doesn't attempt or can't speak Tagalog
    • I am part of the conspiracy, I don't want them to learn

38 posts in this topic

I want to learn Tagalog if only for the fact is I want any children to be bilingual.

My Visa Journey

Removal of Conditions

03/11/11 - Sent I-751

03/14/11 - I-751 Received

03/14/11 - NOA

04/13/11 - Biometrics

05/31/11 - Approved!

06/04/11 - 10 Year Green Card Received!

AOS

07/13/08 - Wedding

08/13/08 - Sent AOS

08/19/08 - NOA for AOS and EAD

11/21/08 - EAD Received (100 days)

04/14/09 - Interview (224 days)

04/25/09 - Green Card Received!

I-129F

09/13/07 - Sent I-129F

11/06/07 - NOA1 (54 days)

02/04/08 - NOA2 (144 days)

04/16/08 - Interview! (216 days)

04/29/08 - Visa delayed.

05/12/08 - Visa on hand! (242 days)

05/20/08 - US Entry

hvV4m7.png

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ano,

Thanks much for the reply and the links! Will check them out when the hubby gets home from work later :thumbs:

Goodluck learning Tagalog and tell your coworkers "Anong paki mo!" (substitute "niyo" for "mo", if plural) when they get annoyed at you playing your vocabulary videos...it literally just means "What do you care?" but if said in a sufficiently annoyed tone it can mean something closer to "I dont give a sh*t what you think" LOL

:dance:

Animated flag courtesy of virtuallandmedia.com

hello..this is nice.my fiancee is very eager to learn my dialect which is bisaya and the same he is eager to earn too tagalog ilove to teach him coz it means he appreciated my dialect the fil language.it's nice u teach your husabnd in case when he go back to phil he don't felk awkward no more and he feel more comfotable and kapamilya..he belongs.. :thumbs::thumbs::star::dance::dance:

Yours Truly,

Maria and Steve

Timeline

May 2008........................We met for the first time. I did not know I was speaking to my future!

July 18, 2008...................Met my Sweet Lady for the first time in Cebu!

July 23, 2008...................Got Engaged!!!!!

July 26, 2008...................How could I bring myself to leave her? Going home to Dallas

August 16, 2008...............Mailed I-129f to Vermont Service Center via Fedex

August 18, 2008...............Check Cashed

August 20, 2008...............NOA1 Here we go! And now we wait and pray!

October 1, 2008...............NOA2 WOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

October 6, 2008...............NOA2 Hard Copy received in the Mail today

October 6, 2008...............NVC has received the Case and issued an MNL#

October 9, 2008...............Delbros Paid

October 10, 2008.............Manila Embassy received case

October 15, 2008.............Visa Application Fee Paid

October 19, 2008.............Called Embassy and received Interview Date

October 19, 2008.............Interview Date Scheduled for November 12th

October 27, 2008.............First Day of Medical Long Day at St.Lukes

October 29, 2008.............Second Day of Medical at St.Lukes. Completed and Passed!!!

October 29, 2008..............Received Interview Confirmation Email from the Embassey for Nov. 12th

November 12, 2008...........Interview at USEM 7am. Passed Thank You JV Family

November 16, 2008...........Got text from Delbros: Visa is ready for dispatch

November 18, 2008...........Got my Visa Today!!!! Thank God!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

my future hubby was really eager to learn how to speak bisaya but im having a hard time teaching him coz i end up laughing everytime he started to speak something in bisaya. :D

u know why

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
QUESTION TO THE USCs: Does your wife really try to teach you Tagalog?

My wife really doesn't teach me, she will correct me and giggle, but I learn more from "The Rosette Stone" computer program and "Before You Know It" mp3 file.

Personally, I think them Pinays are keeping their language a secret. :devil:

But now I know to look when she goes "psssst", and to get what she is pointing her lips at! :rofl:

hahahahah its natural..:D instead of pointing with the fingers.. i teach my fiance every now and then .. he knows the the greetings already he knows how to and who to render "mano po" he knows the possessive adjectives and how they are used with vowels and consonants,,:D

example: akin/aking (mine/my) aking mahal (use aking or add "NG" when the possessive adjectives is proceeded by a noun that starts with a consonant)

😁

I am teaching my hubby bisaya words and i used mp3 to record the words and spell it first then say the word and the meaning..

one word he is confuse is " mata" - meaning eyes or wake up LOL...

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

I want to learn Tagalog if only for the fact is I want any children to be bilingual.

While that is an admirable goal it is not necessary if you want your children to be bilingual, only necessary if you want to understand them. :) Based on my experience and 'soft research' if you want your children to be bilingual your wife, from day 1, needs to speak to them only in Tagalog and you in English. In general for a child to be successful in two languages one of them needs to be dominant i.e. one that they learn to speak, read, and write in and the other that they just speak. Eventually they can learn to read and write in both but during development only one should be focused on.

Not that you shouldn't learn tagalog but all is not lost if you have kids and you aren't fluent :)

Edited by beejay

Timeline

I will teach our son tagalog words specially MAHAL KITA TATAY...henge chocolate :P

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife refuses to teach me Bisaya or tagalog. She says she doesnt want our child to learn it. Only english. i have quit trying to get her to teach me.

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Timeline
My wife refuses to teach me Bisaya or tagalog. She says she doesnt want our child to learn it. Only english. i have quit trying to get her to teach me.

Chris

:o

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
hello..this is nice.my fiancee is very eager to learn my dialect which is bisaya and the same he is eager to earn too tagalog ilove to teach him coz it means he appreciated my dialect the fil language.it's nice u teach your husabnd in case when he go back to phil he don't felk awkward no more and he feel more comfotable and kapamilya..he belongs.. :thumbs::thumbs::star::dance::dance:

yep, i agree with you gurl!!! plus I dont speak tagalog while talking to pinoy in front of my husband or if I do that, I will translate to him what is going on so he won't feel he does'nt exist or belong. my husband knows some tagalog words(mostly naughty :lol: ) and still learning. He can talk to my mom and nieces on the phone on tag-lish (tagalog-english).but I am mad, I keep on talking tagalog then he will get grrrrrrrrrrrrr ..lol.. :dance:

02-16-06- met online

07-20-07- first visit to phils

07-26-07-engagement

07-28-07- back to US

09-14-07- submitted I-129F

09-25-07- NOA1

10-25-07 -NOA2

11-01-07- My fiance got a letter from NVC that within 2 weeks Manila Consulate will send my Packet

11-20-07- Date of my Packet, actually the real one was earlier but it was sent somewhere, good thing my Fiance arrived to spent Thanksgiving day in Phils and we checked the status in Embassy.

11-23-07- Medical though the exact date was Nov. 29..

12-06-07- Interview

12-16-07- Visa in hand

01-16-98- Attended CFO

01-18-08- Arrived in USA , POE-Guam

03-16-08- Wedding

AOS

04-17-08- Submitted the AOS

04-24-08- NOA

05-13-08- Biometrics

05-27-08- Transferred to California

06-14-08- EAD card received

07-21-08- Date of AOS approval but got the letter July 24

No Interview, No RFE and Additional Vaccination( just used the SLEC medical docs)

07-22-08- Date of Permanent REsident CARd , got it July 29

07-31-08- apply for SSN

08-05-08-SSN delivery

01-12-09- First day of work(Thanks to Marielle and Mario)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

While that is an admirable goal it is not necessary if you want your children to be bilingual, only necessary if you want to understand them. :) Based on my experience and 'soft research' if you want your children to be bilingual your wife, from day 1, needs to speak to them only in Tagalog and you in English. In general for a child to be successful in two languages one of them needs to be dominant i.e. one that they learn to speak, read, and write in and the other that they just speak. Eventually they can learn to read and write in both but during development only one should be focused on.

Not that you shouldn't learn tagalog but all is not lost if you have kids and you aren't fluent :)

Sorry for the intrusion here but I disagree with the bolded portion. Children with their infinitely moldable minds are quite capable of learning 2 or more languages simultaneously including reading and writing along with the speaking.

If a parent speaks to his/her child in a particular language from infancy, the child will respond to the parent in that language irrespective of whether or not the parent is fluent in that particular language. In the same way young children if they are accustomed to hearing a particular adult speak a specific language to them will become puzzled when the adult speaks another language to the child that the child also speaks. It's not that the child doesn't understand the adult it's more that the child has a particular mind's view of how that adult behaves/speaks.

There have been many good studies done in the area of multi-language acquisition. Google for the abstracts of the studies.

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Sorry for the intrusion here but I disagree with the bolded portion. Children with their infinitely moldable minds are quite capable of learning 2 or more languages simultaneously including reading and writing along with the speaking.

If a parent speaks to his/her child in a particular language from infancy, the child will respond to the parent in that language irrespective of whether or not the parent is fluent in that particular language. In the same way young children if they are accustomed to hearing a particular adult speak a specific language to them will become puzzled when the adult speaks another language to the child that the child also speaks. It's not that the child doesn't understand the adult it's more that the child has a particular mind's view of how that adult behaves/speaks.

There have been many good studies done in the area of multi-language acquisition. Google for the abstracts of the studies.

No worries about the intrusion. I am just speaking from my experience. I have seen kids that have handled going to school in English (not native language) and then had weekly outside of school classes in native language of parents and been just fine. Some kids can handle it some can't. For instance I've also seen kids who were struggling during the day in school and the added 'school day' in the other language tended to make coursework in both languages suffer. Recommendation from most ELL professionals that I have spoken with/ worked with was the part that you bolded above. All children are individuals and it's not going to be the same for every child but it's up to you to decided what's best for your kid.

As for myself I want to learn to be fluent in tagalog, at least in the spoken language, as far as writing at a reasonable level I'm not so concerned. While I was living in the Philippines of course i was learning quite a bit, since ive returned to the States ive probably lost some or maybe alot of what i had learned. When my wife and son are here i would like to continue to learn and above all I want my son to be fluent in tagalog that is very important for my wife and I. And that being said if my son learns and i dont then him and his momma can talk bout me behind my back but in front of my face !!!! hahahahahahaah but yes ill learn for sure i lived in indonesia as well and was able to become semi-fluent in Bahasa Indonesian so hopefully tagalog wont be a problem

Married :...................06-09-2007

I-130 Sent : ..............11-03-2007

I-130 recieved:...........11-05-2007

NOA 1:.......................02-07-2008

I-130 Approved :.........03-13-2008

NVC Received :...........03-27-2008

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :...04-15-2008

Paid I-864 Fee Bill:.....................04-18-2008

IV Fee Bill Generated:.................05-05-2008

IV Fee Bill Recieved:...................05-10-2008

IV Fee paid mailed USPS Xpress:.05-12-2008

Recieved AOS letter:...................05-15-2008

Sent AOS packet to NVC:..............05-20-2008

DS230 paket generated:..............06-02-2008

DS230 packet recieved:...............06-19-2008

DS230 sent to NVC:.....................06-27-2008

DS230 recieved by NVC:..............06-30-2008...................."It's all up to them now"

Case completed at NVC:...............07-09-2008...................."Thank you God"

Sons CRBA interview and approval at USE Manila............7-09-08

SLEC medical completed........9-3, 9-4, 9-5, 9-10-07......yes those lazys at SLEC took 4 days!!!!

Interview USE Manilla.................09-17-2008 APPROVED!!

VISA DELIVERED..........................09-19-2008

I FLY to fetch my family.................10-13-2008

We Fly back as a family FINALLY.....10-24-2008

P1011144-1.jpgP1010098-1.jpg1thumb.jpgP1010448.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.