• I can't learn Tagalog
    • I am American I speak English
  2. 2. Filipina/Filipino Spouse

• My spouse is fluent in Tagalog
    • They can speak phrases, sort of
    • He doesn't attempt or can't speak Tagalog
    • I am part of the conspiracy, I don't want them to learn

38 posts in this topic

American spouses, are you trying to learn to speak Tagalog? Does your spouse encourage you, are they indifferent, or is there a plot to keep their language secret? :whistle:

Filipina/o spouses, do you teach your spouse Tagalog, think it is not important to learn, think your American spouse does not have the ability to learn it, or are you part of the conspiracy to keep them in the dark? :devil:

By learning the language, I don't mean, Mahal Kita, Maganda Umaga, Salamat Po………I mean to be able to have a conversation and read and write at a reasonable level. :wow:

Just wondering, I have met more than a few Fil-Am couples (ie, Filipino Christmas Parties, by chance, through work)…. And have yet to meet one American who is fluent in Tagalog. :wacko:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hehehe...here's some controversy for you - I'd rather focus on learning Bisaya than Tagolog...Bisaya should have been the national language of the PI. B) My wife grew up speaking Bisaya and only speaks Tagolog to non-Bisayan Filipinos. Even my 7 yr. old stepson only knows Bisaya, not Tagolog.

Bisaya for the win, Uy!

The Visayans or (Visayan languages, Filipino: Bisaya) are the largest ethnolinguistic group of Philippines. They primarily live in the Visayas and northeastern Mindanao but others have migrated elsewhere in the Philippines, including Manila.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisaya

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can speak Bisaya, Hiligaynon and Tagalog but i don't want my husband to learn them :lol: we can understand each other in English , so why bother to teach him my language :lol:

Edited by spidergirl

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I can speak Bisaya, Hiligaynon and Tagalog but i don't want my husband to learn them :lol: we can understand each other in English , so why bother to teach him my language :lol:

:unsure:

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Ruchie speaks Waray Waray and Tagalog.... I always wanted to learn a 2nd language, but it seems like it hasn't been a priority to teach me that yet! :P

Hubby has been trying to learn tagalog ever since we met. He has several self help language books like the Pimsleur Approach book and CDs to aid him in his learning and I laugh every time I listen to it because they teach the very polite tagalog phrases like "Malamig ang simoy ng hangin ngayon araw" instead of just saying "lamig ngayon, noh?" :D I, on the other hand, teach him phrases like " baboosh" for bye-bye, "ganda ng asawa ko"!! hahahaha

one of these days, I am certain, he will speak tagalog better than me. The classic Tagalog, at least. :rolleyes:

Sent N400: Oct 27, 2011

NOA: Nov 1, 2011

Biometrics: Nov 16, 2011

Yellow letter date: 12/14/2011

Yellow letter received: 12/19/2011

My wife is really helpful during my self study, but is not as helpful as I would like any other time. I will be fluent in Tagalog, but just not as fast as I would like. If anyone wants to help tutor me and give me helpful insight, I truly welcome it. I need to work on building my vocabulary, conjugating verbs, and constructing sentences.

QUESTION TO THE USCs: Does your wife really try to teach you Tagalog?

My wife will automatically speak Tagalog to other Filipinos, but not with me (not unless I engage her first - for the most part). She says it's because she wants to work on her English, which I don't understand because her English skills are just as good as mine. What she may not get is the slang and idioms simply because she's not originally from the States.

Anyway... Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

Edited by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

My wife really doesn't teach me, she will correct me and giggle, but I learn more from "The Rosette Stone" computer program and "Before You Know It" mp3 file.

Personally, I think them Pinays are keeping their language a secret. :devil:

But now I know to look when she goes "psssst", and to get what she is pointing her lips at! :rofl:

My wife is really helpful during my self study, but is not as helpful as I would like any other time. I will be fluent in Tagalog, but just not as fast as I would like. If anyone wants to help tutor me and give me helpful insight, I truly welcome it. I need to work on building my vocabulary, conjugating verbs, and constructing sentences.

My wife will automatically speak Tagalog to other Filipinos, but not with me (not unless I engage her first - for the most part). She says it's because she wants to work on her English, which I don't understand because her English skills are just as good as mine. What she may not get is the slang and idioms simply because she's not originally from the States.

Anyway... Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

My wife doesn't want me to know Tagalog or Waray Waray.. :innocent:

My wife really doesn't teach me, she will correct me and giggle, but I learn more from "The Rosette Stone" computer program and "Before You Know It" mp3 file.

But now I know to look when she goes "psssst", and to get what she is pointing her lips at! :rofl:

Yes, they do want to keep it a secret! :rofl: I don't understand a single word when she is mad at me.. All I know that it doesn't sound good! :rofl::bonk::wow:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife tries to teach me some Tagalog. But she is ilocano, so she speaks that the most with her family and friends here. Also at work I learn and speak some Tagalog and Ilocano, since 90% of my coworkers are Filipino. I mean it is weird that me, who is the USC has to learn a their language, to fit in better here in Hawaii?!. But I guess when almost half the population here is Filipino, that is the norm here.

Anyway... Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

Language is the area where I see the most with the cultural barrier. As I stated in my earlier post, my wife will automatically speak Tagalog to other Filipinos, which of course includes those she does not know. So since I'm not Filipino, she doesn't deliberately go out of her way to help me with Tagalog when there are prime opportunities to help me grow and learn the language. It seems that others are experiencing the same thing... Hmmm... That's very curious! :whistle:

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

hehehe...here's some controversy for you - I'd rather focus on learning Bisaya than Tagolog...Bisaya should have been the national language of the PI. B) My wife grew up speaking Bisaya and only speaks Tagolog to non-Bisayan Filipinos. Even my 7 yr. old stepson only knows Bisaya, not Tagolog.

Bisaya for the win, Uy!

:thumbs:

Hubby has been trying to learn tagalog ever since we met. He has several self help language books like the Pimsleur Approach book and CDs to aid him in his learning and I laugh every time I listen to it because they teach the very polite tagalog phrases like "Malamig ang simoy ng hangin ngayon araw" instead of just saying "lamig ngayon, noh?" :D I, on the other hand, teach him phrases like " baboosh" for bye-bye, "ganda ng asawa ko"!! hahahaha

one of these days, I am certain, he will speak tagalog better than me. The classic Tagalog, at least. :rolleyes:

Hello DocJazzie; how is life in the US?

My asawa teaches me a few words now and then. The in-laws seem more involved in teaching me tagalog though.

I try not to cause too many nosebleeds with my English. :lol:

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

My husband is interested in learning Tagalog and I did get him a couple language cds and a dictionary from Amazon.com and such before we even get married but he didnt learn anything from that lol

I would like to teach him in a more structured way so can you share your experience with Rosetta Stone? He thinks it might be worth getting...and what about that mp3 file you mentioned?

It's just hard to teach someone Tagalog by assimilation when you're the only one who speaks it in your house :yes: He's picked up some words and phrases here and there like "Sabi mo...!" and "Ayoko!" (both spoken in an annoyed tone haha)

Anyhow, that Psst! + point with the lips comment had me laughing...I really didnt realize I do it quite a bit until my husband said something about it a couple months ago (it's hilarious when he does it too)...Oh well, it's a Filipino thing :lol:

Animated flag courtesy of virtuallandmedia.com

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I am not on her that much, just when I take the computer from my asawa seeing see is on here ALL the time!!!

The Rosette Stone is mostly a vocabulary builder, it shows for pictures and you go over the words identifying them pictures to the word. It isn't really worth the money, but I got it for no cost from a "Pirate" at the "Bay" if you know anything about torrent sites.

The BYKI program, is mostly a vocabulary builder also, it has a computer program with cards that flip with sound files, I mostly use the MP files downloaded on to my ipod, I hook it up to external speakers and play it at one of my jobs, it really annoys my co-workers, but I am the supervisor. They also have picked up some words too. The best way is to try and speak it have my wife correct me, I also pick up her words, Talaga, Utot, Namani, etc…

Another good way is to read and have the tagalog speaker correct your pronunciation.

Also, The Book "Tagalog for Non-Tagalog Speakers" gives some insight into the grammar of Tagalog.

Youtube is also good, maximo has a number of videos, also cool is Aray Ko with Julia, and some really funny girl whose video is "random Tagalog and swear words".

KayleSpeak and Viloria have podcast you can download for free also.

Hope these help, and don't keep your language a secret.

PS. Verb Tenses, forgetaboutit, best to learn these in phrases, this is the hardest part of the language.

Some of the best links:

http://www.tagaloglang.com/

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/Tagalog_mainpage.htm

http://www.101languages.net/tagalog/

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4CF0937D6DC2ADA7

others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4YKwyJACPQ

and for laughs (don't play in front of asawa): :devil:

But, what do I know?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.