• I can't learn Tagalog
    • I am American I speak English
  2. 2. Filipina/Filipino Spouse

• My spouse is fluent in Tagalog
    • They can speak phrases, sort of
    • He doesn't attempt or can't speak Tagalog
    • I am part of the conspiracy, I don't want them to learn

38 posts in this topic

As for myself I want to learn to be fluent in tagalog, at least in the spoken language, as far as writing at a reasonable level I'm not so concerned. While I was living in the Philippines of course i was learning quite a bit, since ive returned to the States ive probably lost some or maybe alot of what i had learned. When my wife and son are here i would like to continue to learn and above all I want my son to be fluent in tagalog that is very important for my wife and I. And that being said if my son learns and i dont then him and his momma can talk bout me behind my back but in front of my face !!!! hahahahahahaah but yes ill learn for sure i lived in indonesia as well and was able to become semi-fluent in Bahasa Indonesian so hopefully tagalog wont be a problem

right on! By the way you have the most adorable family! too cute!

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
QUESTION TO THE USCs: Does your wife really try to teach you Tagalog?

My wife really doesn't teach me, she will correct me and giggle, but I learn more from "The Rosette Stone" computer program and "Before You Know It" mp3 file.

Personally, I think them Pinays are keeping their language a secret. :devil:

But now I know to look when she goes "psssst", and to get what she is pointing her lips at! :rofl:

I am cracking up right now! My fiancee also points his lips when he sees somehting he wants to point out to his friends! I tease him and do it to him on the webcam... soo funny!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Ay caramba! Nos hablamos espanol! California es Mexico!

¡Qué barbaridad! Yo no hablo tagalog también, a causa de mi ser una ilocana. Solamente hablo ilocano, ingles y español, con soltura sabe.

arizona_fi_huge_md_clr.gif

¡Qué barbaridad! Yo no hablo tagalog también, a causa de mi ser una ilocana. Solamente hablo ilocano, ingles y español, con soltura sabe.

¿Como estan ustedes gente? También no tengo ninguna fluidez en tagalog. Porque hablamos visaya aquí en Davao. Y en la California Sur donde mi marido está, dice que tantos residentes por alli conocen a la lengua de Cervantes.

My new hometown - Corona, California

3307743289_c59d750f74_m.jpg

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

Wow, some of you guys knows a lot of languages and dialects. Nakakainggit naman kayo. I am not teaching my husband Tagalog because I feel he is not into that. I always talk with some members of my family and I feel he can catch some of the words though he isn't saying it. And also, we want my two kids to learn the English language first since one of my son is here already and he will be in college by fall. My husband told me that he should be familiar with the English language so that he will will not have a hard time adjusting in the classroom since everyone will be speaking English.

I don't want my two sons to forget our native language which is Tagalog, it will remain in our hearts wherever we go. As long as we are not talking bad about my husband or we are not talking Tagalog in front of him - I guess we're all set. I know some of our fellow filipinos out there doesn't like their kids to learn our language, it's their choice and prerogative.

I noticed that there are filipinas who are also fluent in Spanish maybe because we were under the Spanish rule for more than 300 years. I can speak a little bit also but not at par with some of you out there. I am amazed with you guys. Keep it up!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

¿Como estan ustedes gente? También no tengo ninguna fluidez en tagalog. Porque hablamos visaya aquí en Davao. Y en la California Sur donde mi marido está, dice que tantos residentes por alli conocen a la lengua de Cervantes.

¡Hola mis comadres! ¿Como estan las cosas? Linda, ya estas en Arizona, no? ¡Felicidades! Y a tu Tess, te deseo mucha suerte en la petición y ojalá que no hay ningunos obstáculos.

aka Señorita Tessa, Señora Bonita, Mariquita Linda, Muñequita Linda, Amor Perdido y Chaparrita Chula!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was fluent in Tag before I even met my fiance/wife in the RP. Had already been in the RP for awhile. I learned the verbs first, then how to conjugate them into present/past tense etc. Once you get the verbs down, you are off to the races. I still can't type Tag. because I learned phonically how it would be spelled in english.

Kugeng is a native Bisaya speaker and her Tag. is somewhat shortsided. Our first ever conversation was in Tag. and she had to really strain her ears due to my Texas-draw-slang hahaha.....After about 15min. She said to me "you know, I speak english" hehehe....We both had a good laugh.

Since that time, I started trying to learn Bisaya....argghhhhhh.... :help: Grabe Lisod. The only reason I even make an attempt at Bisaya is because of my in-laws. They only speak Bisaya and I really like them alot. I still speak Bisaya like a 6 year old. I can fake it like I am a pro until someone gets off the normal chit-chat. Since learning Bisaya I have forgotten alot of the Tag. Most of the time I mix them up together and I wish I would have never learned Tag. because it makes Bisaya way harder. Only bisayan speakers that are around me alot can understand my Bisaya because its very slang. Any language is about gaining confidence...the more you try and mess it up and get corrected the better you get at it. With Bisaya it seems like everyone is speaking it differently, so I can be around a certain group of people and everything goes fine......then I get around a different group....and they keep saying "what? what?" It pisses me off when they really understand what I am saying but want to nit-pick my grammar. Once people start doing the "what? what?" I just tell Kugeng, to translate for me. I have found the nit-picking of grammar is a Pilipino superiority thing....I hardly ever correct Pilipino's bad English grammar. I consider that rude.

For example when I typed Grabe lisod...very difficult in Bisaya....I wanted to type grabe losood because thats how it sounds it should be spelled in english. I can't even remember the correct Tag word for it.

Wyatt

"The Brazos still runs muddy like she's run all along, there ain't never been no cane to grind, the cottons all but gone." R.E.K

Filed I-129F petition on Oct. 27th 2008
NOA1 Nov. 2008
NOA2 March 27th 2009
VSC sent notice that petition forwared to Manila on April 10th
Letter Finally recieved April 24th
June 10th interview date
Passed medical on May 26th (But, not allowed to get vaccinations)
June 10th Pink slip recieved (Yeee-hawww!!!) Consul interview lasted 5 min.
CFO- Completed in Cebu
POE-(LAX, Flew into together on July 17th, took only 5 min.)
Married August 11th (Now the AOS journey begins)

AOS
Recieved Packet Oct. 6th
Recieved NOA AOS, EAD, AP Oct. 17th.
Recieved Biometrics Appointment letter Oct. 23rd
Biometrics Appointment Nov. 2nd.
Advanced Parole approved Nov. 23rd
EAD Work Authorization received Dec. 6th
Permanent Resident Card and Welcome letter received Dec. 15th

96a46edb-2d4b-4f9c-98ae-240883a49565.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.