MDDM

health insurance for new immigrant

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

My fiance are getting closer. After filing in VT in early January, finally an appointment for an interview on August 21st in London.

I have searched the forums, but cannot find the answer to my question about health insurance.

Will the purchase of UK travel insurance cover him in the US until he can go on my work health insurance (after we marry)?

If not, does anyone have similar experience in figuring out what to do about health insurance and some advice?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

In short, yes. Seeing as he isn't a permanent resident until the whole AOS thing is done, then single US trip insurance policy will be just fine. Make sure he buys a year long one though, just in case your AOS thing drags on longer than you think.

"This ###### country's lost its grip, subconcious hold begins to slip, the scales of justice tend to slip..."

Those are Slayer lyrics, btw. I'm listening to it right now. #### all to do with your question, but I just thought you might like to know.. :dance:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Other Organizers.. I left this in the K1 forum because I think it's valuable information that people need to know while they are going through the process. I'm concerned they might not otherwise find it.

timeline.jpg

Timeline
:lol: now THERE'S a reply! ;)

Hahaaaa!!!!!!! And then some!!!!!!! Seriously, I think I'm right in what I say about the insurance, but I'm quite happy to be corrected - I don't profess to be an expert on insurance.

"I love it and I need it

I seed it

Eight cylinders all mine

Alright hold on tight

Im a highway star...!!!!" :dance:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Timeline
:lol: now THERE'S a reply! ;)

Hahaaaa!!!!!!! And then some!!!!!!! Seriously, I think I'm right in what I say about the insurance, but I'm quite happy to be corrected - I don't profess to be an expert on insurance.

"I love it and I need it

I seed it

Eight cylinders all mine

Alright hold on tight

Im a highway star...!!!!" :dance:

Thanks everyone - I did have a hard time finding insurance topics and found the other posts useful. You'd think travel insurance would cover it, so I suppose the best thing is to look into their exceptions, and good point about the AOS.

Everything has dragged on longer than I thought!

In short, yes. Seeing as he isn't a permanent resident until the whole AOS thing is done, then single US trip insurance policy will be just fine. Make sure he buys a year long one though, just in case your AOS thing drags on longer than you think.

"This ###### country's lost its grip, subconcious hold begins to slip, the scales of justice tend to slip..."

Those are Slayer lyrics, btw. I'm listening to it right now. #### all to do with your question, but I just thought you might like to know.. :dance:

Trust you to quote Slayer lyrics lmao too cool

• 3 weeks later...

Actually not.. even tho ur not a permanent resident yet, you do have an immigration visa and when you travel on an immigration visa you will no longer be a resident of your old country, and you need to be a resident of your old country to be eligible for trip or travel insurance.. It is best you inform at your insurance company about this because it is almost never possible.

There are, however, insurance companies in the US who allow you to be registered with them even though you're not a permanent resident yet, as long as you are married to a US citizen or permanent resident. This is the case with me and my fiancé, she asled the insurance company (HMSA in this case) and they told her that there was no problem to have me added after marriage, even tho AOS is not completed yet.. so it might be a good idea to have your fiancé ask the insurance company if they accept this :)

Also, there are a few US based insurance companies for trips and such.. you can get one of these, however. These allow both immigrants and non-immigrants to be insured with these insurances are almost the same as normal insurances :) I don't have the link at hand right now but there are a few links posted here on the forums.

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi,

My fiance are getting closer. After filing in VT in early January, finally an appointment for an interview on August 21st in London.

I have searched the forums, but cannot find the answer to my question about health insurance.

Will the purchase of UK travel insurance cover him in the US until he can go on my work health insurance (after we marry)?

If not, does anyone have similar experience in figuring out what to do about health insurance and some advice?

Thanks

Yes. Purchase the travel insurance. When you are married your health insurance should cover him immediately as it qualifies as a "change of life" status and there should be no waiting period, at least that is the way it works for mine and most policies I have heard of. You will just need to give a copy of your marriage certificate to your insurance company

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks

Yes. Purchase the travel insurance. When you are married your health insurance should cover him immediately as it qualifies as a "change of life" status and there should be no waiting period, at least that is the way it works for mine and most policies I have heard of. You will just need to give a copy of your marriage certificate to your insurance company

Hi folks

Would really appreciate somebody in the know who can clear up the question of insurance. Is travel insurance (the stuff you would take out when going on a holiday) OK for K1 visa immigrants or do we have to get an different policy. If the latter I know of US Net Care and American Visitor Insurance - does anybody know of any others or have experiences/reviews of insurance companies? I have finally got my visa and am moving on 17 September - yay!!!

David

Timeline
Hi,

Thanks

Hi folks

Would really appreciate somebody in the know who can clear up the question of insurance. Is travel insurance (the stuff you would take out when going on a holiday) OK for K1 visa immigrants or do we have to get an different policy. If the latter I know of US Net Care and American Visitor Insurance - does anybody know of any others or have experiences/reviews of insurance companies? I have finally got my visa and am moving on 17 September - yay!!!

David

David

Seeing as the matter seems to be of a somewhat ambigous nature on this thread, I think the simplest thing to do would be to ring the UK insurance company you plan on buying the travel insurance from and just flat out ask them.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.