Ash_Cypress9507

Question Concerning an Adopted sister...infos needed! thanks!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone...I would like to ask a question for my friend and would appreciate any helpful infos.

She has an adopted sister, which is 6 years old now and whom she took care since infancy like her own. Based from research and various experience of others that length of process on petitioning parents is faster compared to petitioning their siblings. Since her little sister is under age, can she petition them together at the SAME TIME? She is concern of leaving the poor kid alone by herself and for her own peace of mind as well that she is well taken cared of...Any similar experience or helpful infos that i can relay to her would be greatly appreciated...T H A N K Y O U!!!

Our AOS Timeline

April 02, 2008 US Entry

April 18, 2008 OUR WEDDING DAY

April 28, 2008 Sent AOS Package via USPS

April 30, 2008 Received in Chicago Lockbox and signed by V.Bustamante

May 07, 2008 Check is cashed!!!! Great!

May 08, 2008 Received AOS/EAD and AP NOAs in the mailbox <Notice Date : May 6>

May 12, 2008 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

June 04, 2008 Biometrics DONE!

June 10, 2008 Received email from CRIS of case transfer to CSC on 9th of June....Yeheyyyyyy!!!!

June 17, 2008 I 485 Touched

June 27, 2008 I 485 Touched

July 07, 2008 EAD and AP Card Production Ordered...Yeheyyyyyy!!!!! Thanks God!

July 14, 2008 Received EAD and AP in mail...such a happy day!!!!

July 24, 2008 Received Email from Cris about Notice Welcoming New Resident was mailed to me

July 28, 2008 Received Welcome Notice in the Mail

July 29, 2008 Received email from CRIS re: Approval Notice for I-485 Sent

139373468_263799.gif

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Throughout life you will meet one person who is unlike any other. Someone you could forever talk to...LOVES and understands you in a way that no one else does or ever could.Thanks God We found each other..A Bestfriend...A Soulmate...HUSBAND and WIFE to love and to cherish for LIFE! SteveNery 04.18.08[/i]

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No. Your friend if she is a US citizen (USC) can petition for her parents as Immediate Relatives (IR). There is no derivative beneficiaries; meaning the parents cannot bring anyone else with them to the US. Your friend would have to petition for her sister in the F4 category which takes over 20 years from the Philippines.

The quickest way for her sister to come over and still be under the care of a parent would be to have one parent immigrate first, petition for the child as an F2, become a US citizen, and convert the application to an IR. The second parent's petition could be filed around the time of converting the child LPR-F2 app to a USC-IR app.

Best of luck to your friend.

P.S. If your friend is a LPR (green card holder), she cannot petition for either her parents or her sister until she becomes a USC.

Hi everyone...I would like to ask a question for my friend and would appreciate any helpful infos.

She has an adopted sister, which is 6 years old now and whom she took care since infancy like her own. Based from research and various experience of others that length of process on petitioning parents is faster compared to petitioning their siblings. Since her little sister is under age, can she petition them together at the SAME TIME? She is concern of leaving the poor kid alone by herself and for her own peace of mind as well that she is well taken cared of...Any similar experience or helpful infos that i can relay to her would be greatly appreciated...T H A N K Y O U!!!

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
No. Your friend if she is a US citizen (USC) can petition for her parents as Immediate Relatives (IR). There is no derivative beneficiaries; meaning the parents cannot bring anyone else with them to the US. Your friend would have to petition for her sister in the F4 category which takes over 20 years from the Philippines.

The quickest way for her sister to come over and still be under the care of a parent would be to have one parent immigrate first, petition for the child as an F2, become a US citizen, and convert the application to an IR. The second parent's petition could be filed around the time of converting the child LPR-F2 app to a USC-IR app.

Best of luck to your friend.

P.S. If your friend is a LPR (green card holder), she cannot petition for either her parents or her sister until she becomes a USC.

Thank You Aaron...that sheds much sense and a clearer info...Thanks to you!!!

Our AOS Timeline

April 02, 2008 US Entry

April 18, 2008 OUR WEDDING DAY

April 28, 2008 Sent AOS Package via USPS

April 30, 2008 Received in Chicago Lockbox and signed by V.Bustamante

May 07, 2008 Check is cashed!!!! Great!

May 08, 2008 Received AOS/EAD and AP NOAs in the mailbox <Notice Date : May 6>

May 12, 2008 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

June 04, 2008 Biometrics DONE!

June 10, 2008 Received email from CRIS of case transfer to CSC on 9th of June....Yeheyyyyyy!!!!

June 17, 2008 I 485 Touched

June 27, 2008 I 485 Touched

July 07, 2008 EAD and AP Card Production Ordered...Yeheyyyyyy!!!!! Thanks God!

July 14, 2008 Received EAD and AP in mail...such a happy day!!!!

July 24, 2008 Received Email from Cris about Notice Welcoming New Resident was mailed to me

July 28, 2008 Received Welcome Notice in the Mail

July 29, 2008 Received email from CRIS re: Approval Notice for I-485 Sent

139373468_263799.gif

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Throughout life you will meet one person who is unlike any other. Someone you could forever talk to...LOVES and understands you in a way that no one else does or ever could.Thanks God We found each other..A Bestfriend...A Soulmate...HUSBAND and WIFE to love and to cherish for LIFE! SteveNery 04.18.08[/i]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Seems like your friend should have adopted her adopted sister when she was a baby since she took care of her for the last six years, would have made this whole procedure a lot easier.

I was entrusted with the care of my niece and nephew when my sister-in-law was killed, heck as long as I am going to support them insisted on adopting them to make life much easier on the long term. Have to think ahead.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.